Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 09:07 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,687,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
I think the whole funeral business is a waste of money. Why spend big bucks on a casket and burial plot? Who cares how comfy or waterproof it is?

Cremation isn't much better. You are still paying a lot of money to burn the body and the urn probably isn't cheap, either.

I want to go to the Body Farm. It is where they lay out bodies to rot and study how they decompose and use that information to help solve crimes. I'd like to do it because the idea of laying in a field and being eaten by bugs and vultures sounds cool to me.

However, the idea creeps out my wife. So I told her to send me to the medical school for scientific research.
Having in the past worked at a research institute that used human bodies...when they're done with the body it still has to be disposed of, either by burying or by cremation, which still costs money. It's not like they can just put them in a Hefty and toss 'em in the dumpster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 08:35 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,616,724 times
Hey, maybe the producers of "Soylent Green" were onto something, after all!

Old 10-09-2010, 07:24 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,148,253 times
many states are allowing "Green Funerals" now, and I think it's a great idea.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:50 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,343,976 times
Another concept...

Quote:
WASHINGTON - Norma Hooks described laying her sister, Leona Miller, to rest in the Chesapeake Bay as a "wonderful experience."

Miller's cremated remains, combined with an environmentally safe cement mixture, were cast as an artificial "memorial" reef and personalized with Miller's "jewelry and knickknacks," said Hooks, 64, a Finksburg resident.

The memorial reefs, also located off Ocean City, become new habitat for sea life, according to Don Brawley, founder of Eternal Reefs, Inc., a Georgia-based company that provided the service.

Ashes to Ashes -- Burial Becomes Environmentally Conscious | Chesapeake Bay

Old 11-23-2010, 11:14 AM

478 posts, read 773,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
I see it a little differently. I think she finds comfort in being able to physically go and visit the spot where her ancestors are buried. Not because she thinks that their spirits are still there or anything, but we humans like mementos in our lives. A gravesite is a memento of the person who is dead. I think Nea subconsciously wants to leave that of herself behind so that her descendents and relatives can have that memento of herself.

Funerals and gravesites are for the living, not the dead.
I agree. And while I absolutely LOATHE what is sometimes is nothing more than a complete and utter lack of taste and respect, and sometimes it seems the whole ceremony is based on "showing off". Limos, silk-lined, ornate coffins, and other ostentatious aspects of what some believe are "part" of a funeral are obnoxious and just gross (especially when there is a "viewing" of the body, which I personally find disturbing and spiritually reprehensible). However, as per the basic want for an actual "burial"- I can appreciate and understand that those left to mourn the loss of someone they love, find comfort in having a particular place to physically "visit" them. A dear friend of mine left his grieving parents in a state of dismay when they discovered that his wishes were to be cremated, as they very much wanted a gravesite for him that they could visit. But we all came to a wonderful compromise! He was cremated, but his folks still selected a gravesite for him, complete with a lovely headstone. Some of his ashes were sprinkled there at the grave, and the rest dispersed as he wished, and all were happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
I think the whole funeral business is a waste of money. Why spend big bucks on a casket and burial plot? Who cares how comfy or waterproof it is?

Cremation isn't much better. You are still paying a lot of money to burn the body and the urn probably isn't cheap, either.

I want to go to the Body Farm. It is where they lay out bodies to rot and study how they decompose and use that information to help solve crimes. I'd like to do it because the idea of laying in a field and being eaten by bugs and vultures sounds cool to me.

However, the idea creeps out my wife. So I told her to send me to the medical school for scientific research.
Well I'm a big fan of doing anything and everything with our human remains if it can help the living! And as for being laid out to just rot and be eaten by worms and picked at by vultures...sounds good to me, but this ain't Little House on the Prarie anymore, and I don't think there is a place remote enough to contain the stank that the bodies of those of us who might share your last wishes would create!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality