Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 01:29 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,189,107 times

Advertisements

I have received a DM from someone objecting to have been called a sinner. I expressed that viewpoint on another thread.

I believe this is a tenet that is shared by most, if not all, Christian churches. One reference to this idea is Romans 3: 21-23. That entire chapter is well worth reviewing.

Now, if I am incorrect or misguilded I would like to be corrected as this is what I have alway heard preached. Do different denomonations teach this concept differently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 01:32 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,502,189 times
I agree with Padgett, as far as I know all denoms teach that all are sinners.

I don't know why anyone would be insulted by this, we include ourselves in this category as well. We are not just pointing fingers. Romans says that "All have sinned..."

Old 10-04-2007, 01:35 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,385,735 times
[quote=Padgett2;1652117]I have received a DM from someone objecting to have been called a sinner. QUOTE]

I wish we could all see that DM.
Of course all Christians believe that we are all sinners.
How else would the religion work?

Old 10-04-2007, 01:54 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,273,259 times
Some Christians have issues with being referred to as "sinners" (after salvation) because they feel that after you are saved, while you are not without sin, your primary nature is not to sin, but to be righteous. I don't know if I'm articulating this very well. (And no, I didn't send Padgett a dm, but I do understand this perspective.) As far as I know, all Christian denominations, however, do teach that we are born sinners.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:00 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,385,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Some Christians have issues with being referred to as "sinners" (after salvation) because they feel that after you are saved, while you are not without sin, your primary nature is not to sin, but to be righteous. I don't know if I'm articulating this very well. (And no, I didn't send Padgett a dm, but I do understand this perspective.)
I don't see any difference between "not without sin" and "sinner".
Also, if your primary nature is not to sin, that still doesn't qualify as "not without sin", right?
I'm not playing head games - I just have an obsession with language and definition.
I really didn't realize that any Christians had a problem with the term "sinner".
Acknowledging your own sin is the first prerequisite to being Christian, no?

Old 10-04-2007, 02:08 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,189,107 times
Kaykay, I see your point. I can see how others would feel the same. Thank you for the explanation.

I would like a little more instruction about it. Is there scripture that states that once a person is saved, they are no longer a sinner? Or is this just a concept that has developed from something else.

What denomonations would teach this concept? Or is it one of the non-denominational things that vary from congregation to congregation?

If we teach that the bible is God's true and holy word, where does that leave verses like Romans 3: 21-24?

Old 10-04-2007, 02:13 PM

23,019 posts, read 34,390,903 times
We are all still sinners, there are saved sinners and unsaved sinners.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:14 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,746,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
We are all still sinners, there are saved sinners and unsaved sinners.
what ILNC said!

Old 10-04-2007, 02:22 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,578,119 times
Sin is an archery term which means missing the mark. If you are knowingly driving too fast that is considered a sin. Sin has different price tags ,but sin is sin and God hates sin.

We are all sinners saved by grace and that we accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior into our lives

Old 10-04-2007, 02:26 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,273,259 times
Default Sinners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Kaykay, I see your point. I can see how others would feel the same. Thank you for the explanation.

I would like a little more instruction about it. Is there scripture that states that once a person is saved, they are no longer a sinner? Or is this just a concept that has developed from something else.

What denomonations would teach this concept? Or is it one of the non-denominational things that vary from congregation to congregation?

If we teach that the bible is God's true and holy word, where does that leave verses like Romans 3: 21-24?
Well, there is a scripture in I believe, I John, which states basically that he that is born of God does not sin. (It is my understand that in the original language the tense is such that is means something to the effect of "he that is born of God does not continually sin." Because John says in the same letter that if we say we are "without sin" we are liars. John also says to not sin, but if you do sin that we have an advocate in Jesus and we are to confess our sin and be forgiven and cleansed. As for the passage in Romans you quoted, (I'm at work and can't look it up.) I think you
refer to a passage where Paul is speaking of the good that he would do he does not, etc. I have heard argument whether he is referring to himself before salvation here rather than after.

In short, I would again just repeat that I think some people feel that it is more theologically correct to describe Christians as "righteous" rather than sinners.

b.Frank, all I can say is that the word "sinner" in some people's mind (not necessarily mine) denotes someone who is habitually sinning rather than someone who stumbles and falls into sin and then repents. And yes, to be saved, the first step is to admit that you are a sinner. (Any objection to the term would be after salvation, not before.)

I don't think this teaching is prevalent in any certain denomination. It seems like semantics to me, but I have heard this position expressed and so I kinda know where they're coming from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality