Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 10:22 AM

2,782 posts, read 4,166,584 times

Advertisements

I think 2 months after conception, abortion is murder.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:34 AM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,993 times
I think the older I get the less comfortable I am with the idea of abortion.

But, as has already been stated, women will do it whether it is legal or not, so we should keep it safe and affordable.

I am certain that whatever I feel about it, I have no right to tell any other woman what choices she should make for her own body.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:39 AM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Very few women just frivolously decide to have an abortion. "Oh I'm bored today, I think I'll go have an abortion! La-de-da!"
I agree. But far too many of them do not sufficiently consider the true status of the child. Euphemisms, like fetus, parasite, etc. abound in the pro-choice literature to depersonalize the fact that it is an integral part of the woman. It should be given similar consideration as the removal of any other part of her body . . like a hand, foot, eye, etc. . . . but it is treated far too frequently like feces . . . probably because of the phonetic similarity to fetus and the proximity to the waste disposal facilities. In truth . . women who feel so cavalier about it are probably right to abort for the sake of their child. Regardless . . as with all such personal issues . . it is her choice.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:52 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
At what level are we making the decision to take a life,and where will it end .
Human nature is to make excuses and push the limits to satisfy greed .
at what level is the value of life going to be established ? when I am 90 and no longer can contribute to society ? Is that justifiable means to snuff out my life ?
the moment an egg is fertalized succesfully life is begun, cells are dividing and all the parts are being formed . conception is the fastest growth event a human endures.
choosing to abort a baby, Call it a baby because that is what it is , a person being grown rapidly.
choosing to end a life even if it is ASSUMED to be less than perfect , establishes the value of an innocent life below the life of one that is not so innocent.
Before we had the technology to know details of the unborn , life was allowed to continue. Now man makes excuses to satisfy his own greed. If it is not a boy kill it . You think this is far fetched , think again.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:10 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
At what level are we making the decision to take a life,and where will it end .
Human nature is to make excuses and push the limits to satisfy greed .
at what level is the value of life going to be established ? when I am 90 and no longer can contribute to society ? Is that justifiable means to snuff out my life ?
the moment an egg is fertalized succesfully life is begun, cells are dividing and all the parts are being formed . conception is the fastest growth event a human endures.
choosing to abort a baby, Call it a baby because that is what it is , a person being grown rapidly.
choosing to end a life even if it is ASSUMED to be less than perfect , establishes the value of an innocent life below the life of one that is not so innocent.
Before we had the technology to know details of the unborn , life was allowed to continue. Now man makes excuses to satisfy his own greed. If it is not a boy kill it . You think this is far fetched , think again.
There is no lack of human life on this planet, and there is certainly no lack of children that nobody cares about. There is no reason to birth children that aren't wanted; it's not like we're going to run out of humans any time soon. We can't even take care of the ones we have now, so why not stop worrying about ones that aren't here and take care of those that ARE here?

How many unwanted children have YOU adopted?

Old 10-12-2010, 11:11 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,213,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank316 View Post
Despite not being a Christian, I'm remarkably pro life. I believe that for any reason other than health grounds (i.e. continuing the preganancy will kill the mother, the fetus or both, or the child will be born with no quality of life due to brain damage etc) there are no good grounds for an abortion.

What do you guys think?
I am also pro-life...despite NOT being a Christian. I do view abortion as taking the life of a child...but that is just my personal view. Now, with that said, do I have the right to impose my personal views about this particular issue onto someone else? I would say absolutely not. Abortion, like believing in a god, is a PERSONAL DECISION...and those who make the decision to have one will have to live with the emotional consequences of those actions...and the emotional damage is profound and usually doesn't hit one until they mature.

It's always easy for pro-lifers to run their mouths about what "other people" are doing, claiming they are saving innocent lives, but what they don't stop to seriously consider is what the alternatives are. Parti made a good point that we already have a seriously over loaded system filled with children to be adopted, many of whom are unadoptable...many of whom will fall through the cracks of said system, being abused, etc...many of whom will eventually end up in our prison systems. Then we have to consider the fact that many abortions are obtained by teenagers who cannot take care of themselves, let alone an innocent child...what happens to those children? Next, we have the issue of over population...which could be quite profound and have devastating effects on the rest of humanity.

What I believe is really needed to combat the epidemic of abortion is EDUCATION. The same way religious folk indoctrinate their children when they are very young about their faith...the same should be done about the effects of unprotected sex...this should not be something we hide from nor should we be embarrased about discussing it with our children...it is a fact of life and needs to be addressed...the consequences need to be fully laid out so that a teenager can make an informed decision when the time comes. It's nice to preach abstinence and it would be a wonderful thing if teenagers actually lived that...but most of us live in the real world where we know that's not going to happen no matter how religious their families are.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:22 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
I do not think it is murder. I think that true life begins outside of the mother and that a 2 month old fetus cannot survive on it's own outside of the mother. Would I get an abortion if I got pregnant now? No way. Would I have gotten an abortion when I was in highschool and was terrified and ashamed? I don't know. Maybe. I sure as heck wasn't ready to have a baby. Luckily, I have amazing parents that would have stood by me no matter what I decided. But that is not the case for everyone. If abortion become illegal again - you will have teenage girls dying because they try to give themselves abortions. I don't think anyone wants that.
Are abortions overused by many people? Yes. But I think the alternative is unthinkable. Am I for late term abortions? No. I think there should be a time limit.
Is it morally wrong? I'm not sure. Would I get one? Not now - but when I was younger? I couldn't say. And I sure as heck am not going to make that decision for everybody else.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:35 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,734,049 times
If "murder" = "the morally wrong termination of a person's life," then NO, abortion is not murder, any more than, say, killing in self-defense is murder, or the killing of an egg is murder. Until a baby is born it is part of the mother's body, and it is her freedom and responsibility to have control over her own body. In the case of a particular woman at a particular time, it might be immoral for her to have an abortion, but the immorality of this act does not rest solely upon the fact that the life of a fetus was terminated. A variety of facts would collectively determine the morality of the act, and in any case, it is not the business of the government to decide that she can't have the abortion. Even if, in a particular case, it would be immoral for a woman to have an abortion, it would be even more immoral for the government to prevent her.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:37 AM

478 posts, read 773,523 times
Murder, by definition, is about killing a human being. Abortion, like it or not, has nothing to do with human beings, it is about fetuses. Whether or not calling abortion murder depends on whether said "fetus" can survive outside the mother's womb on it's own- well, that's another issue and personally, I do maintain that after about 6 months in that's darn close to a 'human' and of course I don't know anyone who is a fan of late term abortions, though there are many reasons why it is still something that needs to remain a safe and legal option. And if it comes down to the rights of the mother versus the rights of the fetus- guess what, the rights of the mother prevails. She is a walking living human and has been born of those rights- the fetus has not.

I personally take issue with people who refer to abortion as "murder" or, even worse and more ridiculous- "baby killing". Abortion is no more killing a baby than it is killing a 27 year old. That which is growing and gestating inside a human womb is not a person, nor a baby, or a human until it is born. I can understand people's reasons for being against abortion- spiritually and otherwise- but I wish people would at least be fair about the logistics of the matter.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:39 AM

2,782 posts, read 4,166,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I do not think it is murder. I think that true life begins outside of the mother and that a 2 month old fetus cannot survive on it's own outside of the mother.
This same logic doesn't apply to people on life support does it? Technology is advancing, 2 months might not be the limit very soon.. For me, at 8 weeks a fetus no longer is just a bunch of cells..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality