Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 01:39 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderobyn View Post
Well, like I said, not debating, but I am into the art of MAKING jewelry, and I am very creative. Here lately I have....not had time in my life for it, and my ears are pierced, but I don't get all willie nillie with it...

I know so many wonderful Christain women and MEN out there with their ears pierced, and I don't give it a second thought, and would never think they were selectivly worshipping. It is some of these people who have brought me through my darkest hours.
I think you missed my point... I'm not saying religious people shouldn't pierce/tattoo, and in fact I am saying the opposite! Considering I'm a practicing Jew with MANY body mods, I'd otherwise be a hypocrite. I was just saying that for those who condemn tattoos & body piercings, but have their own ears pierced - THEY are being selective & hypocritical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 06:49 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,033 times
As dreameyes correctly pointed out we've done this thread before:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...es-church.html

However, those that claim the name of Christ should in no way get tattoos or do body mutilation. If your a true believer and you do this what are you thinking?? Would Christ get a tattoo, or "do body mod"? come on?? In the other thread it was pointed out many times, from Scripture, that Christians should not be doing this.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:30 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,387 times
I don't see anything wrong with tattoos, in and of themselves. I think it depends on what the design is; the reasoning behind the tattoo. My daughter has a shamrock on her back, and a pretty lotus flower on her neck, and they are very nice. The shamrock is a nod to her Celtic/Irish heritage, and the lotus is something that she and her best friend, (since first grade), each had put on. My son is working on a Celtic cross design, that he wants to have tattooed later. My daughter also has a few extra piercings in her ears. I'm considering a tattoo, maybe for my birthday.

Personally, I don't really see how that OT passage, (about marking one's body) applies to modern times, anymore than many other OT passages do, (I believe someone brought up the cutting of the men's hair, earlier). Many, if not most, of us eat shell fish, and pork. Women generally aren't shunned during their periods, or considered unclean for giving birth. People wear clothing made of mixed fabrics, etc. The list goes on. Most Christian folks pick and choose from both the OT and the NT, as to what to believe, and what to put into practice. I think we need to be careful about judging other folks on these types of issues.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:34 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
I don't see anything wrong with tattoos, in and of themselves. I think it depends on what the design is; the reasoning behind the tattoo. My daughter has a shamrock on her back, and a pretty lotus flower on her neck, and they are very nice. The shamrock is a nod to her Celtic/Irish heritage, and the lotus is something that she and her best friend, (since first grade), each had put on. My son is working on a Celtic cross design, that he wants to have tattooed later. My daughter also has a few extra piercings in her ears. I'm considering a tattoo, maybe for my birthday.

Personally, I don't really see how that OT passage, (about marking one's body) applies to modern times, anymore than many other OT passages do, (I believe someone brought up the cutting of the men's hair, earlier). Many, if not most, of us eat shell fish, and pork. Women generally aren't shunned during their periods, or considered unclean for giving birth. People wear clothing made of mixed fabrics, etc. The list goes on. Most Christian folks pick and choose from both the OT and the NT, as to what to believe, and what to put into practice. I think we need to be careful about judging other folks on these types of issues.
i agree..ive got a cross on my left arm, surronded by a sun. I want a shamrock to go along with my Irish history too..just havent done it yet...

Old 07-05-2007, 01:24 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,420,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post

However, those that claim the name of Christ should in no way get tattoos or do body mutilation. If your a true believer and you do this what are you thinking?? Would Christ get a tattoo, or "do body mod"? come on?? In the other thread it was pointed out many times, from Scripture, that Christians should not be doing this.
Legalism.

Christ is concerned with what's in the heart.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:57 PM

508 posts, read 1,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post

Would Christ buy a Ford or Toyota? Would he buy a TV, if so how big? Would Christ wear the latest from abercrombie or would he shop at The House of Organic Robes? Do you have long hair and a beard, and do you wear a robe and sandals everywear? While the scripture is relevant for all times, it does not include every aspect of the advancements of society.

Will you point me to the scripture refrences in the NT which tell us we should not have tattoos?

Old 07-05-2007, 02:08 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,520 times
This thread has been done. I posted this link on that one too:

http://www.religioustattoos.net/Bible_Support/

It's on the pro side of things.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:49 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Hey, My ears are pierced! Who am I to condemn body piercing. My grandson has a pierced ear and a tatoo. He doesn't wear the earring and wishes he didn't have the tatoo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality