Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 09:53 AM

611 posts, read 281,469 times

Advertisements

Where We Came From Pulp

I bought a paperback by back in the early 70’s by Allan Watts, I think, and a bit of it still lingers with me. “We are the universe looking back at itself,” is about the only thing I can quote, but his reasoning kinda blending with mine:

In the beginning, God was all alone, not much fun. So God created a place for him to exist with everything, and everything could exist with him. And when God created man, he hid himself in man. And man wonders, where is this God that created everything? And goes looking for him. So God left a few recorded holy words that would always be around like those holes in your jeans in case things ever got so bad and terrible that he needed a way out, a way to escape, he could find one. And really, everything we are doing to each other is really just God doing it to himself. So indeed! I do talk to my imaginary friend that sticks closer than any friend, and he speaks back. I know I can’t do it by myself. But if I’m God just talking to myself…maybe I should get up off my behind, both of us, we, and say something or do something…anything other that just sit and watch it all just slide off the globe.

So there: I was inspired by the word of Allan Watts and the word of God. At least I put something down. Now I at least have something I can work with. It’s not like I’m stuck with anything. How crazy is that? And, so what if you don’t like it? What you gonna do about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 10:04 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
If you're comfy in your beliefs and they're benign - more power to you.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:12 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
yup.

We are the universe having a human experience.
I am ok with subbing in "spiritual having a human experience".

Old 08-17-2016, 10:16 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
A good pen (or computer) pal of mine deconverted from Calvinism to a no holds barred atheism without I'm afraid much of an atheist moral B plan, andd in ear showed a few bad habits like 9/11 conspiracy (The Jews were behind it) and a liking for Alan Watts who seemed to be close to supplying a god to replace the one he'd lost.

Foe me, Watts occupies a point midway between Stephen Hawking and Deepak Chophra but, as my mate Touts says, if it's good for you and you are not using it to push the Bible into the science class or Trump the chump into the White house, we DoubleDamned Satanscum are fine with it.

P.s the epithet reminded me...

We may be needing an Atheist Anthem.

I thought I'd get my bid in early.

We are the Sons of Perdition

living our meaningless lives,

Slouching along, eight percent strong,

beating our children and wives, God damn them.

Damn, damn, damn, the true religion

And damn theocra-cy;

Ahh ha...hah ...hah soles..

Ah -hah -ha-ha- hah -hah...soles,

Sons of Perdition are we.

Tune: Sons of the Desert chorus. even minutes in the film.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 08-17-2016 at 10:45 AM..

Old 08-17-2016, 12:30 PM

no god forbid if its right or not, I keep forgetting, that doesn't matter.

Atheist Anthem ... hmmmm ... lets cross check this thing.

if it looks like a religion,
acts like a religion,
it aint a pigeon
list it goes.

or

if it looks like a fan
makes noises like a fan
maybe its just and ordinary fan blowing his hollow horn again.

boy is it loud for being empty.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:00 PM

20,024 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auralmack View Post
So there: I was inspired by the word of Allan Watts and the word of God. At least I put something down. Now I at least have something I can work with. It’s not like I’m stuck with anything. How crazy is that? And, so what if you don’t like it? What you gonna do about it?
What would I want to "do about it"? And why?

Old 08-17-2016, 03:42 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
no god forbid if its right or not, I keep forgetting, that doesn't matter.

Atheist Anthem ... hmmmm ... lets cross check this thing.

if it looks like a religion,
acts like a religion,
it aint a pigeon
list it goes.

or

if it looks like a fan
makes noises like a fan
maybe its just and ordinary fan blowing his hollow horn again.

boy is it loud for being empty.
I'm going to respond just this once as I do sometimes read your posts, groan and pass on, but that made me smile.

Shakespeare it ain't but I gotta know...what's the tune?

Old 08-19-2016, 02:30 PM

611 posts, read 281,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
What would I want to "do about it"? And why?
Slander to high heaven as usual, and as for the "Why," only you know that.

Evolution is a mindless concept, that is what you guys are trying to tell me, right? I don't think there is such a thing as a mindless concept. If you have a concept at all, it requires a mind. And everything else you see is a part of the universe, except you? The universe just something that surrounds you? Yet I do believe you are just as much a part of this universe as anything else is. You might as well try to tell me the moon is not a part of the universe. How could the universe not have a mind? At the very least it has your mind.

You can make-believe in your mindless evolution concept if you want, yet I can see intelligent design has a purpose: Life. I can see a purpose for the sun...so that we may exist. Which seems to be no purpose at all to you.

So then, you might as well try to convince me how my heart has no purpose and I can try to convince you how that fuel pump on your car has no purpose.

-

Old 08-19-2016, 03:51 PM

20,024 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:
Slander to high heaven as usual, and as for the "Why," only you know that.
I had no idea that I was out to get you. Thanks for informing me how important you are in my daily existence.
Quote:
Evolution is a mindless concept, that is what you guys are trying to tell me, right?
I have to confer with the other guys before I can answer for the group. But I have never personally heard of such a thing.
Quote:
I don't think there is such a thing as a mindless concept. If you have a concept at all, it requires a mind. And everything else you see is a part of the universe, except you? The universe just something that surrounds you? Yet I do believe you are just as much a part of this universe as anything else is. You might as well try to tell me the moon is not a part of the universe. How could the universe not have a mind? At the very least it has your mind.
Oh ... you are trying to conflate terms here. No, evolution just doesn't involve agency. Very different claim.
Quote:
You can make-believe in your mindless evolution concept if you want, yet I can see intelligent design has a purpose: Life. I can see a purpose for the sun...so that we may exist. Which seems to be no purpose at all to you.
Purpose requires agency. You or I can choose purposes for ourselves. The sun cannot. It can only serve a function, not choose a purpose.
Quote:
So then, you might as well try to convince me how my heart has no purpose and I can try to convince you how that fuel pump on your car has no purpose.
They serve a function, at least if you are alive and driving your car.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I'm going to respond just this once as I do sometimes read your posts, groan and pass on, but that made me smile.

Shakespeare it ain't but I gotta know...what's the tune?

look, all I do is judge "things" by how the interact with their surroundings.

this is what I see and hear ...

all atheists are logical.
sages that speak to our special truth that other don't have
people that teach we have clarity logic and reason and "they don't"
meet with like minded people to discuss our beliefs using the above
trying to influences "state laws" based on our belief
symbols and flags
clothing?
meeting places.
centralized book/books?

many people here think that if you don't support "our team"; youre wrong.

now I see "atheist athame"

whats a brotha supposed to do with these observations?
that's brotha with an "a", you know, friendly like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality