Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 02:02 PM

7,148 posts, read 12,686,436 times

Advertisements

When I went through menopause I went through a a 'crisis' of wondering about life and why we're here..why was I born, what was I meant to do? It preyed n my mind so much that I consulted, for the first time, with a psychologist.

When she learned my age and that I was going through menopause, she said "You're right on track." Turns out many people at that point in life, early 50's, go through a similar examination of life's meaning.

I started reading books like Man's Search for Meaning and The Power of Now and others of that type.

I also quit my advertising career, left behind the big city and moved to a small coastal town on the other side of the country. It was a rocky ride for a while, but I've found peace and contentment. Strivng and the quest for more money and things gave me the oppostie of peace...it was as though I were a hmaster running on a wheel and getting nowhere...there was always more to be had that I could never quite get...no matter how hard I ran...

For me, I craved peace, quietude, less stress, and to develop my creative side and putting away the business side, which I'd found empty for quite some time. This I've done. Now I make my living as a writer...a small living, to be sure, but then I want so much less, so it's fine...

I still don't know the meaning of life, but I read about a little cottage in the countryside of France that had these words carved above the front door:

"Paix sans Envie" Translation? "Peace without envy."

Not certain if that's the secret of life, but it sure works for me....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 02:26 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,054,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
Lately I have been thinking it's just too hard. Too much worry. Too much stress. The end result is the same anyway-death.
I've read a lot of books about life after death.
If things are so grand,glorious,worry free and beautiful on the other side; then why are we here?
You ask THE most important question of all time . Down thru the centuries, people have pondered thier ultimate purpose and meaning to their life. Is it just a glorified Monopoly Game where you spend your time accumulating a some real estate, go to work to get money , own a few cars , get a formal education, volunteer your time with the Boy Scouts of America, make a few Babies, retire, and wait to die ? Then, when its all over, everything gets thrown back in the Monopoly Box and the lid is put back on ? Is THIS the extent of our purpose to living, or, is there some underlying BIGGER meaning to our lives of an ultimate sense ? I think we all give this serious consideration at points in our life --- perhaps more so as we approach 60 or 70 and do alot of reflecting back .

Is there something even more important than our OWN 70 or 80 years of living ? Is there something that IS ultimate and deserves our allegiance toward beyond Self ? I believe there is...and I didnt always know what that was , but I have come to find out what it HAS TO BE for myself and for ALL others : Doing this life should be , and IS, all about the personal Designer/Creator of the Universe ...enjoying him.... getting to actually know him better....giving him his rightful place in our entire life....honoring and loving him as the real King by removing ourSELF from the throne . Making sure before you die that you are right with him is imperative , as not everyone is ; knowing youve been completely forgiven of all your many many acts of rebellion and sins thru the Son of God, Jesus Christs sacrifice....offers total assurance that when you stand before God one day (soon and at any moment)...you can do so knowing God as your Friend and King instead of your Accountable Judge.

Down thru the ages, the choice has been Mans ; the ball is now in our Court . HOW shall we play this Game of Life (?) : With Self on the throne or with the Creator on the throne . May we all choose wisely and correctly .

This post hasnt been a bunch of religiousity ; its been about the very real Creator and You ... and where you want to fit in with his plan for your life, and what you want your lifes-legacy to be .

Last edited by RVlover; 09-25-2009 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: added

Old 09-25-2009, 02:31 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,404,434 times
I often pondered that question...alot actually! I use to think that I had a calling on my life but found more grief than anything...Now I ponder it and thats as far as I go with that for now! oops I forgot to change the name over to Blue_Man. but anywho thats who wrote this...

Old 09-25-2009, 03:33 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,028,298 times
The meaning of life: Be the love that you are. Just BE love. Enjoy it because this is the only material experiane you'll get!

Old 09-25-2009, 05:01 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,320,266 times
I think that if there is a meaning to life it is not going to be known or understood in this life. Either we will know in the next life or we will simply die. It has to be about love because in the end it's the most positive and fulfilling thing there is in this existance. Whatever happens I think the best solution is to live the best life you can while you are here. Do the best you can, live life to the full, love without condition and you can't go wrong.

Last edited by Lady Ice; 09-25-2009 at 05:10 PM..

Old 09-25-2009, 06:48 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,308,094 times
Quote:
Lately I have been thinking it's just too hard. Too much worry. Too much stress. The end result is the same anyway-death.
If things are so grand,glorious,worry free and beautiful on the other side; then why are we here?
Is this life pergatory?
Well, I use too ask what was my meaning in life? But have learned that I was created for God, and I am now understanding my purpose in life.

This is just my experience of how I now understand my meaning for living.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:24 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,377,610 times
Quote:
Is this life pergatory?
You might enjoy looking at this video:

Mormon.org - Answers to Life's Great Questions

Old 09-25-2009, 07:30 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,111,845 times
I don't worry myself too much about such things. There's no evidence there is another side or is there any for a God, so make the most of the one life you have. There's no sense in wasting your time worrying over nonsense.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:41 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,872,981 times
I would suspect that my life only has a meaning if I give it one.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:19 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,136,399 times
The purpose of life is quite simple, but quite difficult.

We need to learn how to love.

Peace out....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality