Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 01:43 AM

478 posts, read 773,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Moderators: please move this to the correct forum, because I wasn't certain what the right one would be.

Regardless of your beliefs, how many of you are buying into the consumerism that comes around this time every year? How many of you are going to have gifts sitting under the tree Christmas morning, followed by a big dinner with as many people as you can stuff into one house?

Personally, I'm not having any of it. No tree, no gifts. My dinner is going to be a Banquet TV dinner that I pop in the microwave. I'm already sick of the Christmas music they're playing at work (and no customers are in the store so they COULD change the channel for us, as they have done in previous years).

I'm considering bringing in a radio to work, and maybe blasting it over top of the Christmas music. I need to see if I can find some speed metal too, maybe then I can blast past the most productive guy in the department, instead of being just second best.

Christmas music is too mellow, and slows all of us down.
I'm right with ya there, Scrooge! I find the consumerism thing quite off-putting and honestly- it ruins the holidays for me. They started in with commercials just after Halloween! That's downright ridiculous.

The only thing that I find pleasing about this season is all the pretty lights/decorations on people's homes- THAT is lovely, and something worth looking forward to. I don't celebrate Xmas, don't do gifts, and the family I have nearby (about an hour away) and I prefer to visit with one another AFTER all the BS has passed, after the first of the year. One tradition I do have, to give me a fun distraction is throwing an annual FESTIVUS bash (this year will be #5), which is always a huge success and a great gathering of friends.

One a side note, you mentioned speed metal...some friendly advice? Try Venom's "Black Metal". It isn't exactly speed metal, but I am not kidding when I say it is THE perfect Xmas music! I popped it on last year when I was feeling annoyed, and it completely reversed my mood from aggro to very joyous straight away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 01:50 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar
Quote:
Dude, we already know that you hate other humans, are antisocial, and think the whole world stinks. Good on ya, hole up by yourself and waste your feeble existence on being a sorry old grinchy grouch.

We. Don't. Care.
Your action contradict your words.
But hey what do I know, according to you I have problems with reading & understanding what is written.
Or maybe it has to do with my deductive reasoning skills.

Anywayz, I don't care about Christmas either but for the children I'll play along.
Once they're old enough and ask me if Santa Claus really exists I'll try to explain to them the rudimentary basics of social engineering.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:10 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Since retirement, each day is like each other day - all pretty good. We sometimes have a pretext to get together for a bit of an event. Birthdays, mostly but Christmas, too. The commercial thing is pretty much under control. It was finally realised that we can get ourselves what we want and buying pointless presents is just making trashmongers wealthy.

Kramer's attitude is absolutely up to him and all the argument we've been doing is academic and really to show others that the arguments don't hinge together.

He can sit and grouse at the world all year and I hope it makes him happy. I prefer a more cheerful and optimistic view as I know it can get a lot worse.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:04 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Isn't the only requirement to witness the solstice is to be alive when it happens?
i was wanting to witness the very moment of the solstice.
luckily for me many others have already done the math.
December 21 is a Solstice Day in 2010
Happy Winter Solstice Dec. 21, 2010!

Old 12-04-2010, 09:43 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,250,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Dude, we already know that you hate other humans, are antisocial, and think the whole world stinks. Good on ya, hole up by yourself and waste your feeble existence on being a sorry old grinchy grouch.

We. Don't. Care.

Especially since most of the rest of us are having a great time with our lives, and actually allow ourselves to enjoy the world. Kthxbye.
i was thinkin the same thing meself!!!!!!!!!.......go out and enjoy yourself for a change man!

Old 12-04-2010, 11:11 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,621,890 times
Well it's been a hellish year so I'm not really in the Christmas mood-BUT I am Christian and I believe that this is the birthday of Christ-I'm not giving many gifts this year-but I'm going to write a few letters telling some people how great they are and how much I love them..my cousin who is 38 years old will not have his wife this year and that is going to be tough to watch..but when I go outside and see lights or decorations it helps put a smile on my face. Christmas isn't about gifts or who gets what-it's about being a human being and seeing that your life may be bad but someone else has it worse and maybe just maybe you will do something to make someone's life a little easier

Old 12-04-2010, 01:01 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,410,495 times
Talking 'on no....not the Feats of Strength'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Here's some Festivus info for you!

"Happy Festivus" is the traditional greeting of Festivus a holiday featured in "The Strike" episode of Seinfeld. The episode first aired on December 18, 1997. Since then many people have been inspired by the goodness of the Seinfeld holiday and they now celebrate Festivus as any other holiday.
According to the Seinfeld model, Festivus is celebrated each year on December 23rd. However many people celebrate it other times in December and even at other times throughout the year.
The original slogan of Festivus is "A Festivus for the rest of us!" Instead of a tree an unadorned aluminum pole is used, in contrast to normal holiday materialism. Those attending Festivus may also participate in the "Airing of Grievances" which is an opportunity to tell others how they have disappointed you in the past year, followed by a Festivus dinner, and then completed by the "Feats of Strength" where the head of the household must be pinned. All of these traditions are based upon the events in the Seinfeld episode.
LOLOL...It's a 'Festivus Miracle'...LOLOL...

Old 12-04-2010, 01:11 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,410,495 times
Post Happy Dayz...

We have four separate 'office areas' in our Dept. Last night, while at Costco, I picked up a big box of candy for each of them. I never care if I receive a single darn thing as long as those around me have a great experience. What could be better, if having to work Christmas Day, than to walk into work with big old box of chocolates waiting for you? Watching my friends enjoy it is all the 'thanks' I need. Then again...when you are the only male in such an office environment, every little bit helps...lolol...they luvs me! Actually, I believe that everyday should be like Christmas. Everyone should be treated w/happiness, smiles, hugs and lots and lots of Aloha, every day! It always seems to make tomorrow better. I know there are many that are having a rougher time this year than normal. It's a good day to think about something else.
Koale

Old 12-04-2010, 01:18 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Personally, I think it's time to put the X back in Xmas.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:00 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzXKW...eature=related
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality