Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 05:42 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times

Advertisements

Were people miserable prior to becoming "Born Again"? Were "Born Again" people previously depressed, suicidal, alcoholics, drug addicts, prisoners, etc? Did they become "Born Again" just after they "hit bottom"?

Are people who are generally happy, well adjusted, stable, well balanced, and mentally healthy less likely to become "Born Again"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 07:22 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times
I think that born agains most often don't become happier. I know many born agains that are full of anger, mistrust, misery and unhappiness. Many of which don't 'kick' the bad habits that they had as nonbelievers.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
I think that born agains most often don't become happier. I know many born agains that are full of anger, mistrust, misery and unhappiness. Many of which don't 'kick' the bad habits that they had as nonbelievers.
You may be right but it seems to me - and this is totally unscientific - that born agains seem happier. However to me it seems delusional, though they really accept their rebirth.

More power to them. Their happiness trumps my cynicism. I'd rather be happy and delusional or brainwashed or wrong than anything else and coherent, realistic, and correct.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:43 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Were people miserable prior to becoming "Born Again"? Were "Born Again" people previously depressed, suicidal, alcoholics, drug addicts, prisoners, etc? Did they become "Born Again" just after they "hit bottom"?

Are people who are generally happy, well adjusted, stable, well balanced, and mentally healthy less likely to become "Born Again"?
To be born again means to transform the soul from a natural love soul to a Divine Love soul. We don't necessarily have to be people who are negative in order for the transformation to progress. As with all things, a person on the Divine Love path must progress their soul. It isn't something that just happens. Anyone who says they are born again would be the perfect human being living the same life that Jesus led. As far as I know, there isn't anyone on earth who is like that.

To be born again, one would be perfect as God is perfect and they would have absolutely no negative qualities about them. All who confess to being born again are merely stating something they have been taught to express when they accept Jesus as their savior. None have persued the way to change their own natual love soul to a Divine Love soul so the negative attributes are still there just as strong as they were before they professed in their belief.

When the person persues Divine Love, the Love slowly will change their soul so that the negative attributes are no longer present. It's a progressive thing and never a thing that happens over night or even in a few years. It's something that will take this life and most of the spiritual life to attain.

Just my opinion and my own experience as I acquire more of this Love into my own soul.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:50 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
Quote:

1,2,3. Some were but my guess is that most weren't.
4. No more or less likely.

Just anecdotally, I'm aware of several kinds of people who are Born Again...
1. People who were raised that way
2. Protestants/Catholics who already were pretty religious
3. Seekers/The Lost - people who always or started looking for an amorphous 'something' to fill a lack in their lives
4. Rock bottomers

There's room for cross-over in the above categories and the last two clearly are vulnerable to sales pitches for salvation.

Your fourth question gives me pause because...
1. I believe people who are happy and mentally healthy do choose to be born again...but...
2. Honestly, that movement strikes me as being very extreme and not 'well balanced' - it's over the top and filters into too much, IMO. So, they might start out well-balanced but end up out of balance (IMO) after becoming born again.

Overall, no, I don't think 'most' born again people transitioned from miserable lives.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:53 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Quote:

As an atheist, I transitioned away from a woefully miserable existence into a happy, productive life. I chose the red pill, and I couldn't be happier that I did.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
To be born again means to transform the soul from a natural love soul to a Divine Love soul. We don't necessarily have to be people who are negative in order for the transformation to progress. As with all things, a person on the Divine Love path must progress their soul. It isn't something that just happens. Anyone who says they are born again would be the perfect human being living the same life that Jesus led. As far as I know, there isn't anyone on earth who is like that.

To be born again, one would be perfect as God is perfect and they would have absolutely no negative qualities about them. All who confess to being born again are merely stating something they have been taught to express when they accept Jesus as their savior. None have persued the way to change their own natual love soul to a Divine Love soul so the negative attributes are still there just as strong as they were before they professed in their belief.

When the person persues Divine Love, the Love slowly will change their soul so that the negative attributes are no longer present. It's a progressive thing and never a thing that happens over night or even in a few years. It's something that will take this life and most of the spiritual life to attain.

Just my opinion and my own experience as I acquire more of this Love into my own soul.

Most of this above is irrelevant as we're trying to assess the born again's state of being/psychological/emotional transition parallel to his transition to born again. We're not asking about the "soul" and "divine love" and all that other wishy washy undefined stuff.

So, are you born again? What was your life like before you became born again? Drugs? Divorce? Crime? Destitute? Depression? What's your story?

Come on, I'll bet you have a story.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:38 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Since it is not possible to be "born again" without exiting this one by dying and leaving THIS existence . . . I guess it would depend on whether or not you consider this existence miserable. However . . . if you are referring to what should be called the "Born of God" while still in this life . . . then I see no prerequisite for misery . . . although it is often present. Misery seems to loosen the ties to physicality and increase the desire for more spiritual experiences.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:45 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,660 times
Quote:
Most of this above is irrelevant as we're trying to assess the born again's state of being/psychological/emotional transition parallel to his transition to born again. We're not asking about the "soul" and "divine love" and all that other wishy washy undefined stuff.

So, are you born again? What was your life like before you became born again? Drugs? Divorce? Crime? Destitute? Depression? What's your story?

Come on, I'll bet you have a story.
If you would "read between the lines" so to speak, you will see that I explained all that you were asking.

There is no need for a negative lifestyle before one professes to be born again. Any person who is willing to do the work that Jesus asked of us can be born again while still on earth. However, there isn't one true born again person living. Mother Teresa was the closest yet she was still not born again however, she was on her way to being there.

I also gave you the definition of what born again truely means. You must know that before you go off saying who is or isn't born again.

No, I am not born again as I still have inclinations to sin. Any person with those inclinations are not born again. That includes a negative attitude and showing to others negatives. So, in that light, I can bet you have never met anyone who is truely born again. Perfect as God is perfect.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:50 AM

What I meant by "born again" is what wikipedia means by born again:

"In recent history, born again is a term that has been widely associated with the evangelical Christian renewal since the late 1960s, first in the United States and then later around the world. Associated perhaps initially with Jesus People and the Christian counterculture, born again came to refer to a conversion experience, accepting Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior in order to be saved from Hell and given eternal life with God in Heaven, and was increasingly used as a term to identify devout believers. By the mid 1970s, born again Christians were increasingly referred to in the mainstream media as part of the born again movement.

Moderator cut: edited to adhere to copyright

from
Born again (Christianity) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by june 7th; 12-10-2010 at 11:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality