Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 08:24 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,357,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Unless June is sorely mistaken, the above all belive in some sort of diety/God...
Buddhism has no god, Buddha was a man in search of perfection, but the rest do have gods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 10:33 PM

43 posts, read 46,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
Buddhism has no god, Buddha was a man in search of perfection, but the rest do have gods.
"Do they have gods" is not the question. Please read the original post.

After going through a handful of websites, it seems like most of them specify New Age as non-religious, but don't seem to elaborate on what they mean by this. It also seems to be identified as a spiritual movement, which makes it at least close to a religion. This seems to get to the area where you have to decide if there's a difference between a non-organized religion and a spiritual movement.

For the purposes of the article I'm writing, I think if a group self-identifies as not being a religion, I'll not argue the point with them.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:01 AM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Just because some of the groups you cite will accept an atheist, that does not make the group an atheist religion, nor the accepted atheist religious...There are no atheist religions as far as I know.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:01 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
I was fairly certain the Positivist "Church of Humanity" was one, but I admit they seem a bit conflicting. They replaced "God" with "divine Humanity", or other terms, in all their liturgy but also criticized "atheism."

Positivist Republic - Google Books

Still most things I think indicated Comtist/Positivist churches were Godless. Author Anna Haycraft was raised in one before becoming Catholic.

Auguste Comte (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)
Auguste Comte and the religion of ... - Google Books

Old 12-14-2010, 06:30 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,619,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
Unitarian Universalism has no creed dictating that all UU's must believe such and such. Instead, there are seven principles which Unitarian Universalist congregations affirm and promote:

• The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
  • Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
  • Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
  • A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
  • The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
  • The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
  • Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
As a biblical Christian Universalist I was critical through the years of liberal creedless fellowship groups who call themselves "churchs".

Yet - with age and experience it has become evident to me that UU's are probably closer to fulfilling the intent of Jesus WAY more than the creedal "churches".

Funny how that works.

As far as atheistic religiosity - I have seen a few belonging to this movement:
http://www.atheists-for-jesus.com/about.php

Old 12-14-2010, 08:05 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,038 times
Given the original definition of "religion":
Quote:
a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and/or purpose of the universe, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
Is Unitarian Universalism even a religion?

If so, what is the cause, nature, and/or purpose of the universe according to UU doctrine?

Old 12-14-2010, 08:11 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
It may not be specifically on the topic but I'd see a problem, not in whether the religion has what might be called a 'god' or not but whether it is eventially going to come up with assertions or dogma which an atheist is going to challenge under the 'why do you believe that?' Act.

If it were me I would expect to be told 'take it or leave it' and I should really take my leave at that stage. Ot would not be so much whether they would accept me or not but what on earth I would be doing there in the first place.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:10 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,357,250 times
The philosophy of Buddhism does not have a personal god. It also does not care if you add one to your life if it is needed to make you a better person. Thus you find the addition of secondary characters in some segments of the philosophy which some see as lower or secondary level deities. This does not change the fact that Buddhism has no deity. It is a philosophy, and path to a better life, and suitable for both Atheist and Non-Atheist to follow.
Here is a link which discuss the lack of god in Buddhism.

http://www.letusreason.org/Buddh1.htm
“Generally Buddhism does not believe in a personal God or a divine being, it does not have worship, praying to, or praising of a divine being (although some sects do.) It offers no form of redemption, forgiveness, no heavenly hope, or a final judgment to those practicing its system. Buddhism is a moral philosophy, an ethical way to live for the here and now of this world to gain the ultimate state. It has more in common with humanism and atheism than its original religion Hinduism it separated from. But Buddhism is not atheism just because they don’t believe in a personal God. It is more like pantheism, there is an impersonal force the void which is the ultimate.”

Old 12-14-2010, 02:08 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Scientology.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:19 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times
Again we see another thread with a plethora of confusion about the definition of religion, atheism, philosophy etc.

Until people actually get a grasp on the basics they will never understand the complexities. No wonder so many people choose the simplistic religious beliefs, they don't have to think too hard.

Atheism

1. the doctrine or belief that there is no god.
2. disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

Philosophy

1.the rational investigation of the truths and principles of being, knowledge, or conduct.

2. any of the three branches, namely natural philosophy, moral philosophy, and metaphysical philosophy, that are accepted as composing this study.

3. a system of philosophical doctrine: the philosophy of Spinoza.

4. the critical study of the basic principles and concepts of a particular branch of knowledge, esp. with a view to improving or reconstituting them: the philosophy of science.

5. a system of principles for guidance in practical affairs.

6. a philosophical attitude, as one of composure and calm in the presence of troubles or annoyances.

Religion

1.a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
2. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.
3. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the christian religion

4. the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.

5. the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.

6. something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.

7. religions, Archaic . religious rites.

8. Archaic . strict faithfulness; devotion: a religion to one's vow.

Religion in the common English vernacular means an organised body of people who believe in one or more gods/supreme beings. Atheists do not hold these beliefs. Atheists can have any number of philosophical leanings but none of them will contain a god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality