Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 05:08 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,636,202 times

Advertisements

One thing that always bothered me when I was in my early teens and attending church was the fact that we've been waiting two thousand years for an event to take place that the Bible seemed to suggest was supposed to happen within a human generation of the life of Jesus. Doesn't that fact by itself give any of you doubts that maybe it's just never going to happen? If civilization keeps on going for a few hundred more years and no one has seen hide nor hair of Jesus don't you think it will reach a point when people will just stop believing that the second coming is a reality? I wish I could think of the passage in the Bible that I referred to but I seem to remember that Jesus said to a group of people that they would never taste death because his return would be very soon. Maybe one of you could clarify that specific point because I don't remember the exact words but I'm curious about it and I'm wondering if this two thousand year wait doesn't shake your faith just a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 05:22 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,200,544 times
Be careful lest...

"Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation." (2 Peter 3:3,4)

Old 07-13-2007, 05:40 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,468,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Be careful lest...

"Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation." (2 Peter 3:3,4)

Ooooohhhhh so does that mean we get to see the universe's greatest light show soon? That's what I got out of it. The scoffers will be around in the last days so here I am.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:59 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,390,088 times
2 Peter 3:8-9

"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance." [emphasis added]

Old 07-13-2007, 06:12 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,673,921 times
I think Alpha mentioned this recently on another thread, and it was decided that this particular part was talking about the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem.

Aiangel looks around, knowing Alpha was around just a bit ago. "Alpha, hey dude, need your help here, can't remember which thread you were on when this discussion came up."

She knows it will be only a matter of time till he shows up with the answer, and turning back to Montanaguy she says," Alpha will set us straight with the answer shortly, MT."

Old 07-13-2007, 07:38 PM

23,024 posts, read 34,413,899 times
He is giving more people time to get saved. When the time is right He will return.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:43 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,201,929 times
Reminds me of a joke.

One of the Cardinals in the Vatican rushes in to see the Pope. He says, "Father, Father, I've got good news and bad news. Jesus Christ has returned!! The bad news is that he's in Salt Lake City and very happy."

Old 07-13-2007, 08:53 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,338,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
One thing that always bothered me when I was in my early teens and attending church was the fact that we've been waiting two thousand years for an event to take place that the Bible seemed to suggest was supposed to happen within a human generation of the life of Jesus. Doesn't that fact by itself give any of you doubts that maybe it's just never going to happen? If civilization keeps on going for a few hundred more years and no one has seen hide nor hair of Jesus don't you think it will reach a point when people will just stop believing that the second coming is a reality? I wish I could think of the passage in the Bible that I referred to but I seem to remember that Jesus said to a group of people that they would never taste death because his return would be very soon. Maybe one of you could clarify that specific point because I don't remember the exact words but I'm curious about it and I'm wondering if this two thousand year wait doesn't shake your faith just a little.
Montana Guy u attended church great I am glad to hear it Why would a believer get tired of believing? "We walk by faith and not by sight." The promise of the "Seed" that would bruise the head of the serpent was given in the O.T. book of Gen. yet we did not see the manifestation of that promise (the birth of Jesus Christ) until the N.T. Gospels. Time does not make God's word less true. If God spoke it HE will bring it to pass! God is not man. HE is God! HE does not lie. God created time, but he is not confined by time as we know it, but HIS timing is always perfect. Jesus said HE will return and HE will at the appointed time. I have no doubt about it. I am a believer. God's WORD is true I am not sure what passage of scripture u r referring to so I cannot address your confusion on this matter. However, I welcome the opportunity to enlighten u

Old 07-13-2007, 10:35 PM

743 posts, read 2,235,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Reminds me of a joke.

One of the Cardinals in the Vatican rushes in to see the Pope. He says, "Father, Father, I've got good news and bad news. Jesus Christ has returned!! The bad news is that he's in Salt Lake City and very happy."
LMAO....

Old 07-14-2007, 02:19 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,376,749 times
Dont worry about it, the 2nd comming will happen, when God wants it to happen. Besides we are not suppossed to know when it happens anyways, dont loose faith just keep beliving and living your life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality