Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 01:49 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,115,978 times

Advertisements

The video is bogus. They make it so the professor has no argument.
I don’t think Einstein would have put up that argument.
Dark is a descriptive word. And is relative to the observer. A pit viper may not think its dark but you may.
And I may say, My skin is light, his skin is dark. Light is a descriptive word.
Even if we say, the sun gives off light. Its still a descriptive word. We are not referring to a particular particle. Or even a specific wave length. And a wave is also just describing motion.

The word light is just a descriptive word, defining a spectrum to be studied and not defining an object to be studied.
The object is the photon.

Or do you think that video is an accurate portrayal of something Einstein would have come up with?
I don't think so...

Light - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As far as the OP, I think that something has always exited. Be it energy, matter or both.
And thats good enough for me.

Last edited by Aeroman; 01-11-2011 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: Just be a good person and don't worry about the hereafter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 02:13 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,730,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
The video is bogus. They make it so the professor has no argument.
I don’t think Einstein would have put up that argument.
...Or do you think that video is an accurate portrayal of something Einstein would have come up with?
I don't think so...
According to Snopes.com the video is, indeed, bogus. You can find details here: snopes.com: Einstein Humiliates Atheist

There is no historical evidence for thinking that Einstein ever did this.

(BTW...completely off topic but...Every time I see the title of this thread "Everything from nothing", I hear a line from a Dire Straights song..."and your chicks for free.")

Old 01-11-2011, 02:22 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,115,978 times
Thanks for the Snopes link Gaylenwoof.

And I’ll have to look up that song your thinking of. Or do I want to?? Will it get stuck in my mind and I’ll be hearing that song now when I look at the ops title

Cheers,
Aeroman

Last edited by Aeroman; 01-11-2011 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXQ5MWhsfSs

Old 01-11-2011, 02:36 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,730,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
Thanks for the Snopes link Gaylenwoof.

And I’ll have to look up that song your thinking of. Or do I want to?? Will it get stuck in my mind and I’ll be hearing that song now when I look at the ops title

Cheers,
Aeroman
I'll save you some trouble. The song is "Money for Nothing" and here is a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_for_Nothing_(song)

Old 01-11-2011, 06:45 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,249,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I found the complete set online (and of course free). Could you tell me approximately where to look?
i actually dont know exactly where,i think you'll have to look for the chapter titles,and see if it helps in for what your lookin for.

any chance in showing me the link for the freebie.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
Exactly! Vishnu is a part of consciousness itself. That's why we say, Tat vam Asi in Sanskrit.
can you tell me what the english translation is Rahki,please!!!

Old 01-11-2011, 06:56 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
i actually dont know exactly where,i think you'll have to look for the chapter titles,and see if it helps in for what your lookin for.

any chance in showing me the link for the freebie.
Srimad Bhagavatam (Bhagavata Purana): The Story of the Fortunate One
Considering the nature of the story, I'm guessing it would be somewhere under the heading of creation. Eventually I will no doubt get around to reading it anyway but a pointer the matter previously discussed would be of great help.
Thanks.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Srimad Bhagavatam (Bhagavata Purana): The Story of the Fortunate One
Considering the nature of the story, I'm guessing it would be somewhere under the heading of creation. Eventually I will no doubt get around to reading it anyway but a pointer the matter previously discussed would be of great help.
Thanks.
##Joe im probly not the best person to discuss these topics with,my knowledge of the Vedas are limited, there are alot of concepts and scriptures to go through,i personaly think that if your interested in reading any of the scriptures it would be best to read the Bhagavad Gita,although lookin back on my post,i said i ''know''it is written in the Bhagavatam i should have realy said''i think'',so if you dont find what your lookin for then it could definitly be somewhere else.but the best thing to do for clarity would be to approach a devotee,,,,,sorry for any inconvieniance, i find this stuff very interesting and amazing,and since Krishna Himself opened up my heart chakra through His Name(chanting)i have no doubt that he exists,however as i said my personal knowledge on the subject matter is limited,i only remember this stuff from conversations ive had with others,ive read the Gita though,not fully mind you,but not yet the Bhagavatam,thats why i should have said ''i think'' and not ''know''.thanks for the link though and good luck in your search.

however let me kno exactly what your looking to find and ill do my best to help you find it!

Old 01-11-2011, 08:10 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,593 times
Quote:
##Joe im probly not the best person to discuss these topics with,my knowledge of the Vedas are limited, there are alot of concepts and scriptures to go through,i personaly think that if your interested in reading any of the scriptures it would be best to read the Bhagavad Gita,although lookin back on my post,i said i ''know''it is written in the Bhagavatam i should have realy said''i think'',so if you dont find what your lookin for then it could definitly be somewhere else.but the best thing to do for clarity would be to approach a devotee,,,,,sorry for any inconvieniance, i find this stuff very interesting and amazing,and since Krishna Himself opened up my heart chakra through His Name(chanting)i have no doubt that he exists,however as i said my personal knowledge on the subject matter is limited,i only remember this stuff from conversations ive had with others,ive read the Gita though,not fully mind you,but not yet the Bhagavatam,thats why i should have said ''i think'' and not ''know''.thanks for the link though and good luck in your search.

however let me kno exactly what your looking to find and ill do my best to help you find it!

Fair enough. I'll likely read it anyway but right now I have too many books open as-it-were. I've always been fascinated by creation myths but when I saw the part about Vishnu coughing up multiple and separate universes existing simultaneously in the same "space" it peaked my interest because it's not dissimilar to the presently popular String, or Unification theory.

It seems to me that many early civilizations were at one time far more advanced than we give them credit for. Much of what they once knew is hidden in their religious fables. Unfortunately as fairly modern Western, Arab, and even Chinese history proves, once a dogma seizes a civilization, it almost immediately stagnates and more often than not regresses. When my ancestors were painting their faces blue, Baghdad was the epicenter of knowledge. Since religion took over it quickly became a primitive stone-age culture with machine guns. People tend to congregate on coastlines and since the ocean levels are over 400 feet higher than they were just 12K years ago, I suspect much of our history is under water.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:40 PM

395 posts, read 1,286,560 times
Quote:
can you tell me what the english translation is Rahki,please!!!
The original translation for Tat Tvam Asi is That Art Thou; as in everything lies in our consciousness.
We were all right there when it began because we are nothing but a manifestation of consciousness. Anyway, that's what it is written in our "Upanishads" which I am little bit aware of.

Dobeable, if you really give it a thought and look at every prophet, you will see that ALL of them had been great mediators. The idea behind meditation is to get control over your mind. Forget about Krsna, even Jesus was into meditation. Our consciousness has such immense power that we only need to "will" it to happen and it will.
Like I said, this is my belief (Hindu). I am not talking from Christianity perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality