Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 11:47 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,563,594 times

Advertisements

"And in hell he lifted up his eyes, being in torments, and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me and send Lazarus so that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am tormented in this flame."
(Luke 16:23-24)

"The Son of Man shall send out His angels, and they shall gather out of His kingdom all things that offend, and those who do iniquity, and shall cast them into a furnace of fire. There shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth."
(Mat 13:41-42)

"So it shall be at the end of the world. The angels shall come out and separate the wicked from among the just, and shall cast them into the furnace of fire. There shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth."
Mat 13:49-50

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Away from me, you that are under God's curse! Away to the eternal fire which has been prepared for the Devil and his angels!"
"These, then, will be sent off to eternal punishment, but the righteous will go to eternal life."
(Mat 25:41 & 46)

"And if your foot offends you, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life lame than to have two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched where their conscience dies not, and the fire is not quenched."
(Mark 9:45-46)

Old 03-14-2011, 11:57 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,727,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
"And in hell he lifted up his eyes, being in torments, and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me and send Lazarus so that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am tormented in this flame."

"The Son of Man shall send out His angels, and they shall gather out of His kingdom all things that offend, and those who do iniquity, and shall cast them into a furnace of fire. There shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth."

"So it shall be at the end of the world. The angels shall come out and separate the wicked from among the just, and shall cast them into the furnace of fire. There shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth."

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Away from me, you that are under God's curse! Away to the eternal fire which has been prepared for the Devil and his angels!"
"These, then, will be sent off to eternal punishment, but the righteous will go to eternal life."

"And if your foot offends you, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life lame than to have two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched where their conscience dies not, and the fire is not quenched."
RESPONSE:

>>How Can Folks Read The New Testament And Claim Hell Isn't Flames <<

By taking it as the allegorical work of men, not the word of God. If you have evidence to the contrary, please present it.

Hint: "I can't help but believe..." isn't evidence.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:36 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,138,438 times
This is how.

Parable of Rich Man & Lazarus explained:
Commentary - The Parable of Lazarus and the Rich Man
L. Ray Smith - Lazarus and the Rich Man

Hell is a mistranslation:
Honest Questions and Answers about Hell
The Bible Hell
Merciful Truth : The Origin of Hell
L. Ray Smith - Lake of Fire - Part 16-A
L. Ray Smith - Lake of Fire - Part 16-B
L. Ray Smith - Lake of Fire - Part 16-C - THE ORIGIN OF ENDLESS PUNISHMENT

The "fires" of "hell" are fires that refine:
L. Ray Smith - The Lake of Fire - Part 1 (part 1 of a very long series - read the whole series for the full story)
Furnace of Fire

Scriptures that show that any so-called "hell" cannot be eternal:
Reconciliation Scriptures

Much more info here:
Scholar's Corner: The Center for Bible studies in Christian Universalism

Old 03-14-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE:

>>How Can Folks Read The New Testament And Claim Hell Isn't Flames <<

By taking it as the allegorical work of men, not the word of God. If you have evidence to the contrary, please present it.

Hint: "I can't help but believe..." isn't evidence.
Hey...you're preaching to the choir. I don't believe any of it. After billions of hell fire and damnation sermons preached across a thousand years many Christians have begun to deny a burning hell. When I was a youngster Baptist preachers had to preach one involving hell about once every five weeks...ten a year. Now the word is seldom used and most preachers steer clear of it all the time. The point is that the scripture is still there except in a few very modern translations where they purposfully omit any mention of eternal flames.

In my opinion the church has decided that since public opinion about eternal flames as a punishment has lost any popularity they will drop it. They did the same thing concerning witchcraft, infant baptism, slavery, women's rights etc. All the scripture which was used to support those ideas is still there but never mentioned. Evidently if the gross take on Sunday morning begins to fall off they try to get to the bottom of the cause and modify accordingly. If I were to prophesy a little here I'd bet homosexuality is the next thing to be taken off the preacher's agenda.

Last edited by Melvin.George; 03-14-2011 at 01:34 PM..

Old 03-14-2011, 02:35 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,977,442 times
Quote:

Melvin.George, it has been my experience outside of the Bible. That demons do exist, and they have a great fear of Hell. I never gave much thought of Hell or demons myself. However in 1973 I encountered two of them. And after that everything changed for me. The Bible had it's stories, yet they were stories that I kind of ignored. When reality set in, it was a real shock. And even the church I went to told me they could not help. They as you tried to ignore such things. There is a big difference between the reality of the Bible, and what people now believe in the church today.

Last edited by Campbell34; 03-14-2011 at 02:50 PM..

Old 03-14-2011, 03:10 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,011,841 times
Quote:
Hey...you're preaching to the choir. I don't believe any of it. After billions of hell fire and damnation sermons preached across a thousand years many Christians have begun to deny a burning hell. When I was a youngster Baptist preachers had to preach one involving hell about once every five weeks...ten a year. Now the word is seldom used and most preachers steer clear of it all the time. The point is that the scripture is still there except in a few very modern translations where they purposfully omit any mention of eternal flames.

In my opinion the church has decided that since public opinion about eternal flames as a punishment has lost any popularity they will drop it. They did the same thing concerning witchcraft, infant baptism, slavery, women's rights etc. All the scripture which was used to support those ideas is still there but never mentioned. Evidently if the gross take on Sunday morning begins to fall off they try to get to the bottom of the cause and modify accordingly. If I were to prophesy a little here I'd bet homosexuality is the next thing to be taken off the preacher's agenda.
I agree. It's the process of sanitizing the bible for modern consumption. After all, which sensible, upstanding, civilized, 21st century person wants to be associated with a primitive tribal god who will find pleasure in tossing unsavory characters into an eternal cauldron of fire? How do you continue to put faith in this deity??? Well, just gloss it over with a healthy heaping of "spirituality" and magically make the original intention and interpretation(s) disappear. This is akin to the modern day, peace loving, non-violent Muslim cleaning up the word jihad to remove suspicion. "Of course "jihad" does NOT mean all out war on heathen pigs (those not like us). It NOW means internal warfare upon one's inner demons." This while the fanatics are working with the original definition and intention behind that definition.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I agree. It's the process of sanitizing the bible for modern consumption. After all, which sensible, upstanding, civilized, 21st century person wants to be associated with a primitive tribal god who will find pleasure in tossing unsavory characters into an eternal cauldron of fire? How do you continue to put faith in this deity??? Well, just gloss it over with a healthy heaping of "spirituality" and magically make the original intention and interpretation(s) disappear. This is akin to the modern day, peace loving, non-violent Muslim cleaning up the word jihad to remove suspicion. "Of course "jihad" does NOT mean all out war on heathen pigs (those not like us). It NOW means internal warfare upon one's inner demons." This while the fanatics are working with the original definition and intention behind that definition.
I often think back to my childhood. We were on a farm and of course there was no such thing as cooling, or lights because prior to 1950 my grandparents didn't even have power or indoor plumbing on their place. In the summer after supper everybody sat on the porch until about an hour after dark waiting for the house to cool enough to even try to go to sleep. My grandfather and uncles would tell ghost stories which they made up. So help me by the time we went inside I would jump in the bed, cover up my head, scared to death and finally go to sleep after my mind had cleared. That's what the whole thing is...2000 year old ghost stories for adults.

Last edited by Melvin.George; 03-14-2011 at 04:09 PM..

Old 03-14-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
I often think back to my childhood. We were on a farm and of course there was no such thing as cooling, or lights because prior to 1950 my grandparents didn't even have power or indoor plumbing on their place. In the summer after supper everybody sat on the porch until about an hour after dark waiting for the house to cool enough to even try to go to sleep. My grandfather and uncles would tell ghost stories which they made up. So help me by the time we went inside I would jump in the bed, cover up my head, scared to death and finally go to sleep after my mind had cleared. That's what the whole thing is...2000 year old ghost stories for adults.
Do 2,000 year old ghost stories smash Christian crosses to the floor, and attack Christian holy pictures?

Old 03-14-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Do 2,000 year old ghost stories smash Christian crosses to the floor, and attack Christian holy pictures?
I really don't have a clue what that means...or what you intend it to mean.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
I really don't have a clue what that means...or what you intend it to mean.
Often during home hauntings, Christian crosses or Christians pictures hanging on the walls will be thrown to the floor by an invisible force. And this happens sometimes while others look on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality