Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 07:50 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,249,546 times

Advertisements

.............so sure that God dosent exist??,i mean apart from that you think its unlikely,or apart from having bad religious experiences,,, because if anyone says anything about the existence of God,you all seem so sure that its just fairytales or spaghetti monsters and stuff,loads of things may be unliklely but that dont mean that its immpossible???

Old 02-24-2011, 08:07 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,249,546 times
i forgot to mention that this is not an attack on atheism,im just curious in why you are absolutly positivly sure in your own minds that God dosent exist

Old 02-24-2011, 08:27 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,342,183 times
Most Atheists I think would accept God is sufficient evidence was presented. That simply does not exist at this point, in the eyes of many Atheists.

At the moment God is, in my opinion, as plausible as vampires and werewolves, it's folklore. Not that I don't accept it's influence and importance to many people, but something isn't true simply because many believe it to be, and objectively it doesn't hold much ground, again, in my opinion.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:33 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,714,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
.............so sure that God dosent exist??
Same thing that makes you "so sure" unicorns or dragons don't exist. They're not impossible, but you still don't believe they are real because there's no reason to think they are and lots of reasons to think they're fiction. Same for gods.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:41 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Quote:
What makes an Atheist.......................so sure that God dosent exist??,
Same thing that makes you so sure there isn't an elephant living under your bed.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:48 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,722,527 times
Actually, I think an agnostic is on more logical ground. He simply says "I can't tell if God exists or not."

To say that God definitely doesn't exist would require proof. I haven't encountered any atheist presenting convincing proof that he doesn't.

Personally, I think it probable that a God exists, but probably not the God we encounter in scripture.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:54 AM

142 posts, read 249,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Same thing that makes you so sure there isn't an elephant living under your bed.
I've searched under my bed and there's no elephant there. Searching Heaven is a lot harder.

To me claiming to be an atheist almost says "I just got back from Heaven and there was no one on the throne."

Old 02-24-2011, 08:55 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,342,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
Actually, I think an agnostic is on more logical ground. He simply says "I can't tell if God exists or not."

To say that God definitely doesn't exist would require proof. I haven't encountered any atheist presenting convincing proof that he doesn't.

Personally, I think it probable that a God exists, but probably not the God we encounter in scripture.
I don't know many Atheists who would say with absolute certainty that God doesn't exist.

Where we differ from agnostics is we say "I don't think there's a God" instead of "I don't know whether there is one or not", the reason we say that is very simple: There's no proof of it.

I don't say "I don't know whether Vampires exist or not" for the simple reason that there's no evidence of their existence, so by all rationale they don't.

Does that mean it's impossible or that it's definitive, no, not at all, but from what we know at this point in time, it's highly unlikely.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:04 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,004 times
My husband likes to say he is skeptical......... Is there proof of G-d? Is there proof of no G-d? That is the question for him hence he is skeptical......

He says until G-d shows him in a tangible, provable, hopefully with witnesses sign that he exists. He will remain a sketic...... He wavers between an agnostic and an atheist........

It cannot be proven either way 100%.......

That is the dilemma for him.......

Old 02-24-2011, 09:16 AM

2,782 posts, read 4,165,260 times
Quote:
.............so sure that God dosent exist??,i mean apart from that you think its unlikely,or apart from having bad religious experiences,,, because if anyone says anything about the existence of God,you all seem so sure that its just fairytales or spaghetti monsters and stuff,loads of things may be unliklely but that dont mean that its immpossible???
When you understand why you don't accept the claims of Zeus as true; you will understand why I don't accept the claims about your god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.