Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 09:30 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,111,606 times

Advertisements

I don't think what happened with New Orleans is as simple as christian vs non-christian.

I will say this about Japan: it just shows you how bogus the claims made by Christians are about non-Christians and atheists. In some statistics that I have seen, more than half of the people in Japan could be considered atheists. I guess they didn't get the memo that you can't be good/moral without god.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 09:35 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,949,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
We are the greatest ECONOMIC success story, allowing us to build the most powerful military in the world. To compare the US society of 80 years ago with the US society today is ludicrous. Today we are in a deep depression, and yet the fat cats are still fighting for every million they can, and if it means laying off workers, moving jobs overseas, they don't hesitate, as they don't give a damn. That is today's US society.

Why do I say we are so uncivil? I see you are exhibiting selective short term memory, go read #1. Compare the behavior of the Japanese, and the fine church going citizens of New Orleans 6 years ago. Greatest percentage of population in prison, yet each of us is in greater danger of being the victim of a property or violent crime. Any person in China is much safer walking any street the city they live in, than any American in the city they live in.

And, as bad as you wish it, my feelings are not hurt, but you went off topic, I actually enjoyed watching this desperate as you tried to take this off topic.
Hey if you don't like this country or what is was built upon , why don't you go to Japan where it is supposedly more civilized and talk to them about how uncivilized America is ? I love my country despite its numerous problems.

Last edited by perry335654; 03-15-2011 at 09:58 PM..

Old 03-15-2011, 09:50 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,194,737 times
Religion (specially christianity) exploits the worst of human characteristics: greed, selfishness, lack of consideration. This is demonstrated daily.
Looking back, many christians support torture of prisoners, want to withhold healthcare from sick people without insurance, push for war on other religions, and are against workers' rights.
Several years ago I heard this anonymous quote: The church will stand up for the oppressed only when it, itself, is oppressed.

Basically, what it all comes down to is that those who call themselves christians are phonies.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:49 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,659,377 times
Quote:
We are the greatest ECONOMIC success story, allowing us to build the most powerful military in the world. To compare the US society of 80 years ago with the US society today is ludicrous. Today we are in a deep depression, and yet the fat cats are still fighting for every million they can, and if it means laying off workers, moving jobs overseas, they don't hesitate, as they don't give a damn. That is today's US society.

Why do I say we are so uncivil? I see you are exhibiting selective short term memory, go read #1. Compare the behavior of the Japanese, and the fine church going citizens of New Orleans 6 years ago. Greatest percentage of population in prison, yet each of us is in greater danger of being the victim of a property or violent crime. Any person in China is much safer walking any street the city they live in, than any American in the city they live in.

And, as bad as you wish it, my feelings are not hurt, but you went off topic, I actually enjoyed watching this desperate as you tried to take this off topic.
So, let's see...you view someones situation as "desperate", and you "actually enjoyed watching it".
Seems ironically to be exactly like what you are condemning: Uncaring...or worse, amusement...in someone elses' desperate circumstance, whatever that circumstance may be. Strange that.

Answer this...Would you think it reasonable if I attributed your demonstrated and documented malevolent attitude toward anothers' desperation as a derivative of your Atheism...or would you think that was "off base"?

Old 03-15-2011, 11:05 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,545,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Hey if you don't like this country or what is was built upon , why don't you go to Japan where it is supposedly more civilized and talk to them about how uncivilized America is ? I love my country despite its numerous problems.
Do you love your country, or do you love your life in this country, the big houses, the big cars, the standard of living, the gluttony, the fact that American are PIGS, using and wasting more of everything.

Our leaders are a corrupt bunch of corporate w***es, that have sold us all out for their own personal gain. If you love that, you are complacent, and that is what allowed our country and society to deteriorate to the point we are today, where the middle class is an endangered species. If you loved your country you would be outraged, but I guess you are too comfortable in the glutinous life style of the average greedy American.

You didn't bother to list where you are, but I'll guess Miami since you post in that thread a good bit. I know there are parts of Miami you wouldn't dare walk down the street, or even drive through. And apparently you are OK with that, after you love this country, and that is all inclusive.

I like where I live in this country, but I sure as hell don't love my government, nor the behavior of many citizens here. Silence or complacent banter of "I love it" is a stamp of approval.

It is embarrassing to think how footage from New Orleans must have been received in the rest of the world. You OK with that, or just too arrogant to give a damn?

Old 03-15-2011, 11:14 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,545,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
So, let's see...you view someones situation as "desperate", and you "actually enjoyed watching it".
Seems ironically to be exactly like what you are condemning: Uncaring...or worse, amusement...in someone elses' desperate circumstance, whatever that circumstance may be. Strange that.

Answer this...Would you think it reasonable if I attributed your demonstrated and documented malevolent attitude toward anothers' desperation as a derivative of your Atheism...or would you think that was "off base"?
Please learn to read, it will make you seem rather illiterate, or was this just a feeble attempt to turn it personal, since you don't seem to have anything to counter my point in the OP.

What I loved watching was posters here squirm and wiggle in an attempt to change the topic to government treating government, vs. the ugly truth of how neighbor treats neighbor in this country.

But alas, you too are trying to take this thread off topic, with your typical attack the messenger when you have nothing else.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:58 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,362,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
We dropped 2 atomic bombs on Japan....... We are not civilized...
My claim is that we are not the least civilized nation out of all developed nations.

While dropping atomic bombs in Japan was incredibly uncivilized, I don't really find it comparable to thousands of years of murder and fighting and blind hatred.

But that's just me.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:28 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,218,508 times
I don't think what happens in the US is unique to the world. Society has evolved to be caring only for oneself and direct family and interaction is purely out of necessity to earn a wage to look after oneself. It is like that in SA too.

Even after independence and a new constitution, races did not magically start socializing with each other, we still pretty much keep to our own. You will see us mixed in sporting events, work functions, schools etc. but that is probably as far as it goes.

The tribal dependence we had as hunter gatherers has long since gone. With the advent of cities and clustered populations, even the black folk here who are more traditionally people orientated amongst themselves are caring mostly for their own families and not much more.

To become one of the crowd is difficult if you are an outsider.

Sometimes bad things happen and this tribal instinct kicks in, we still have it but it is not a par for the course natural anymore.

Say a roadway accident, once someone has stopped, the rest pass on by, we have services like the fire department, charities etc. to take care of what we probably would do ourselves were we back in the old days.

This sense of tribalism, belonging to something bigger than ourselves is what religion exploits and misuses. I do not think religion alone is to blame. The way civilization changed has a big part to play.

I remember back as a youth, when we moved into a new house, strangers brought us tea and cookies, the neighbors and welcomed us, see that happening much lately?

Maybe we all are just too self centered these days.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:16 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,659,377 times
Quote:
Please learn to read, it will make you seem rather illiterate, or was this just a feeble attempt to turn it personal, since you don't seem to have anything to counter my point in the OP.

What I loved watching was posters here squirm and wiggle in an attempt to change the topic to government treating government, vs. the ugly truth of how neighbor treats neighbor in this country.

But alas, you too are trying to take this thread off topic, with your typical attack the messenger when you have nothing else.
Obviously, I know how to read. And my comprehension is excellent. So you can lose the pointless and foolish statements.

My observation of your attitude was personal...but only within the stated context.

I didn't "counter" your point because it was accurate...well, mostly. You had the concept of "organized religion" as a breeding ground for negativity correct...but it's not because of "Christianity" per se. "Pedigree Christianity" is a good and peaceful concept...it's the twisted and corrupted version of it that organizes under the veil of the philosophy that's the culprit here.
The "base concept" that founds "Christianity" is to "love each other" and "treat others the way you want them to treat you". That's not much of what we've seen coming out of denominational organizations that fly a "Christian" banner as a cover-up for their evil deeds. And you are 100% correct about that.
So it's not that I didn't have anything else...I agree with your core point and had nothing to add to it.

I just though it ironic that you saw another member in what you considered to be a state of desperation...and proclaimed that you "enjoyed watching it"...while at the same time complaining about how other people respond to the plight of their fellow man.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:02 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,046,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
My claim is that we are not the least civilized nation out of all developed nations.

While dropping atomic bombs in Japan was incredibly uncivilized, I don't really find it comparable to thousands of years of murder and fighting and blind hatred.

But that's just me.
Again what countries are you speaking of in comparing to thousands of years of murder and fighting and blind hatred?

Here is statistics for the number of people we killed with the bomb.

the acute effects killed 90,000–166,000 people in Hiroshima and 60,000–80,000 in Nagasaki,[1] with roughly half of the deaths in each city occurring on the first day. The Hiroshima prefectural health department estimates that, of the people who died on the day of the explosion, 60% died from flash or flame burns, 30% from falling debris and 10% from other causes. During the following months, large numbers died from the effect of burns, radiation sickness, and other injuries, compounded by illness. In a US estimate of the total immediate and short term cause of death, 15–20% died from radiation sickness, 20–30% from flash burns, and 50–60% from other injuries, compounded by illness.[5] In both cities, most of the dead were civilians.[6][7][8]

I don't think we are very civilized in this country and we certainly don't have the team player attitude. We are still arguing whether we ought to give the poorest and youngest health coverage when all other countries already do this. We have this attitude of pull youself up by your own bootstraps. We are a very individualistic society. We don't think of the others so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality