Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2007, 12:20 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,200,429 times

Advertisements

Psalm 82 (A psalm by Asaph.)

Please Do Something, God!

1When all of the other gods [a] have come together,

the Lord God judges them

and says:

2"How long will you

keep judging unfairly

and favoring evil people?

3Be fair to the poor

and to orphans.

Defend the helpless

and everyone in need.

4Rescue the weak and homeless

from the powerful hands

of heartless people.

5"None of you know

or understand a thing.

You live in darkness,

while the foundations

of the earth tremble. [b] 6"I, the Most High God, say

that all of you are gods [c] and also my own children.

7But you will die,

just like everyone else,

including powerful rulers."

8Do something, God!

Judge the nations of the earth;

they belong to you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Mormonism thread got me to thinking about this chapter.

What does "gods" mean here?

The 1st verse says "the other gods": This probably refers to the gods of the nations that God defeated, but it could refer to God's servants (angels) in heaven or even to human rulers. But verse 6 says we are all gods...???

Last edited by jeffncandace; 07-27-2007 at 12:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 12:25 PM

564 posts, read 1,900,908 times
I think it is clearly calling us (humans) gods.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:37 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
One referance book that I have refers to the gods in this verse as "judges" In that time, the judges held the power of life and death over just about everyone.

And then, there was among the Egyptians (and some Romans) that their leaders were desended from the gods of old. They were considered gods.

We don't know exactly when the Psalms were written. It's possible that the Egyptian influence is there.

Read the Psalm again and think about it in terms of whether or not he is talking about an earthy power of some sort. Judge, Pharoh, Caesar or whatever. I think it's a matter or what might have be the interpretation for those times.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
One referance book that I have refers to the gods in this verse as "judges" In that time, the judges held the power of life and death over just about everyone.

And then, there was among the Egyptians (and some Romans) that their leaders were desended from the gods of old. They were considered gods.

We don't know exactly when the Psalms were written. It's possible that the Egyptian influence is there.

Read the Psalm again and think about it in terms of whether or not he is talking about an earthy power of some sort. Judge, Pharoh, Caesar or whatever. I think it's a matter or what might have be the interpretation for those times.
Interesting and highly probable in my mind, but then again, he did specifically use the word gods, not judges, which he could have simply said if that was the meaning intended.

Just so everyone knows I have no preconcieved idea that I am trying to convey in this thread--but the chapter in question raises some interesting questions, IMO, so I felt it might make for interesting discussion.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:46 PM

564 posts, read 1,900,908 times
To amend to my previous post:

We are indeed all gods, by manner that we can assume certain capabilities of our God. We have freewill and self-awareness. We have the ability to judge good and evil. But our judgement is flawed by our own limited perception.

I think that Psalm is calling out to us to beware, that while we judge others with seeming impunity, we will also stand judgement.

Re-reading the Psalm makes me think Padgett2 is on to something regarding judges. Every civilization has some sort of judicial activity. Perhaps this warning of final judgement is meant specifically for them.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:22 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
In this case, wouldn't it be wonderful if we knew exactly what the original meaning was?

Those were the days when those in power were held in some sort of awe. They were considered 'above' the common folk. I think 'Judge' might be more of the understanding as the verse implies that they did things among the people. Pharohs and Caesars probably wouldn't have bothered with dealing with those they felt were of the lower classes.

It's pure spectulation.

We really have no way of understanding how the people of that day would have understood the word.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
In this case, wouldn't it be wonderful if we knew exactly what the original meaning was?

Those were the days when those in power were held in some sort of awe. They were considered 'above' the common folk. I think 'Judge' might be more of the understanding as the verse implies that they did things among the people. The 'gods' would probably been above bothering with the lower classes.

It's pure spectulation.

We really have no way of understanding how the people of that day would have understood the word.
Well, the belief in multiple gods was very common in that day, and that is the terminology used... I don't believe in literal gods but I do find this bit of scripture to be curious.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:36 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,745,612 times
Its meaning in Psalm 82:6 does not imply that men are gods. It rather refers specifically to the fact that God has appointed judges to act in a dignified, God-like manner in their God-appointed responsibilities..The words, "Elohim" (God)," and "Yahweh" (Lord), are the two major names of God in the Old Testament. It is Elohim that is used here in verse 6. "Elohim (God) takes His stand in His own congregation; He (God) judges in the midst of the Elohim (corrupt judges who are acting like Gods--said in sarcasm..IMHO

Old 07-27-2007, 01:44 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,577,165 times
NIV: VERSE 6-"I said ,"You are gods",you are all sons of the Most High.

gods here is referring to judges or magistrates,who are the ministers of God's providence,for keeping up order and peace and in particularly punishing evil-doers and in protecting others that do well.Good princes and good judges who mean well are under Divine direction; and bad ones who mean ill,are under Divine restraint. The authority of God is to be submitted to,in those governors whom his providence places over us.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:55 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,785 times
Why am I not surprised Jeff would post this?

This is one of many reasons I dislike the "new" versions so much. In any event, yes "gods" means judges. Padgett2, had a fairly good explanation. In a correct version verse seven reads, "But all of you shall die as men..." not "just like everyone else."

You need to note that "But all of you shall die as men..." We are NOT little gods and to believe so is blasphemous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality