Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 10:10 AM

1,883 posts, read 3,003,685 times

Advertisements

http://www.proof-of-evolution.com/pseudogene.html

To summarize what the link is about,genetic scientists have discovered that humans and primates,along with one species of guinea pig,share a malfunctioning gene that controls the ability to process vitamin C.This gene is why humans get scurvy and need dietary supplements like oranges and other high vitamin C foods,or just vitamins,to survive.That's why English sailors earned the moniker "limey's" for carrying crates of limes on voyages to help ward off scurvy.

So the problem for creationists and IDers is,how did this happen?How do the very class of animal,the primates,that science has said for years humans descend from,share the same genetic malfunction with us?Just random chance?

Not specifically on this issue,but regarding evolution in general,I found this comment and appreciated it.

There is something outrageous about such a huge body of evidence being put together, then being confirmed in all kinds of other scientific disciplines, particularly genetics, and having other people just sort of deny it for reasons that have nothing to do with truth.

But has everything to do with "my holy book says I can't believe this,and so I refuse to consider any evidence that I myself could verify if I would just take the time to learn the science to have the skills to independently verify it for myself".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 10:22 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
"my holy book says I can't believe this,and so I refuse to consider any evidence that I myself could verify........"
That's it in a nutshell!

Old 04-10-2011, 10:30 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
The difficulty with your thesis is that the creationists are completely uninfluenced by reality, evidence, or science. If they were we wouldn't have creationists.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:50 AM

1,883 posts, read 3,003,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
The difficulty with your thesis is that the creationists are completely uninfluenced by reality, evidence, or science. If they were we wouldn't have creationists.

True,true.The main rebuttal to this seems to be some form of "well,yeah...but...but...it must of all happened AFTER Adam was created".As if both humans and primates all just so happened to develop the very same nonfunctioning gene simultaneously yet completely independently within the last 10,000 years.

The odds would be better on buying just one 10 number lottery ticket in which the winning numbers had to also be in the exact sequence, with your ticket having the numbers 1-10 in order,putting that ticket in the bank as your retirement fund,and cashing it in at 70 to find you had won $ 100 mil.

But as you say,reality is not a big concern with the creationists.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:32 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
A creationist explanation could be: "it is an effect of the Fall, and a result of our sin -- like all genetic defects. Satan could have planted the gene in apes and other primates to provide false evidence for evolution."

I disagree with creationism for other reasons, but this is not the "nail in the coffin" for creationism/ID that you seem to think it is.

Also, remember that all Christians are not creationists. I'm certainly a Christian, and I accept evolution as the best explanation for the evidence. I see no conflict with my faith.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:56 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times
Yes, the GULO gene argument is a "smoking gun" for common descent, but "design" can be so broad as to include full on common descent that claiming a nail in the coffin gets difficult.

Another "smoking gun" line of evidence comes directly from the genome.

The ID side at the trial didn't even know how to respond to this evidence, and ignored it.

YouTube - Genome sequencing leaves Creationists unable to respond

Last edited by PanTerra; 04-12-2011 at 10:36 AM..

Old 04-12-2011, 12:43 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,250,154 times
that in no-way proves creation from a designer to be false,,birth,old age ,disease and death cant be escaped throughout the material universe,even on the highest material planet,Brahmaloka.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:07 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,215,344 times
No matter how much evidence is presented, much of this stuff is over their heads, they could have just as well stuck with the stork theory of where babies come from.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:13 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
that in no-way proves creation from a designer to be false,,birth,old age ,disease and death cant be escaped throughout the material universe,even on the highest material planet,Brahmaloka.
Where is this "highest material planet" in right ascension and declination? I want to find it in my telescope, or at least find its star.

SeekerSA: I like that newspaper! Yes, we are all very proud of the Kansas educational system.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:19 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Seriously. Evolution is now a "Flat-Earth" argument. It's so obvious evolution is the way of things that to say it doesn't happen is like insisting the earth is flat...in the 21st century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality