Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 04:31 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,550,968 times

Advertisements

Faith is defined in many ways. One of the major definitions of faith is:
  • strong or unshakeable belief in something, esp without proof or evidence
  • belief that is not based on proof: He had faith that thehypothesis would be substantiated by fact.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/faith

I contend that Atheists operate on a type of faith. If you believe something to be so without proof or evidence then one is operating in faith.

Or maybe I am wrong. Perhaps there is evidence that supports the Atheist POV. I just see such strong convictions among many atheists, makes me wonder. Perhaps they know something I don't.

This thread is meant to challenge and to enlighten. And to make some folk realize that it is not just the religious who believe something in faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 04:43 PM

651 posts, read 1,417,139 times
Atheism is a lack of belief in god; faith is not required to not believe in something (as indicated by the definition you provided).

Old 04-13-2011, 04:51 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,743,263 times
Atheism does not require any faith of any kind.

It is based on reason and logic about our world.

'Reason works with evidence, which usually just means experience and observation.

We do this all the time, often in mundane ways. If I hear a certain noise in the next room as I’m typing this, I’ll think it’s probably the telephone, based on past experience, and I can easily check. This sort of evidence-based reasoning doesn’t take any special leap of faith.'

The religious ask us to go beyond what we know about the physical world and ask us to believe claims that are contradictory to evidence. That requires faith.

'...believing in supernatural beings and phenomena requires an extra step beyond just accepting the observed world and the processes of scientific inquiry. It requires faith in a sense that atheism simply doesn’t.'

Russell Blackford

Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. – Frater Ravus

Old 04-13-2011, 04:51 PM

60 posts, read 157,992 times
"Religious faith" cannot be defined by "faith." Conviction vs. religious conviction, belief vs. religious belief, testimony vs religious testimony, etc...

Old 04-13-2011, 06:01 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,250,478 times
i kind of get what your sayin MR5150 they are sooooo convinced that nothing exist's outside the material platform and this does take a kind of faith,but im sure they have their reasons so just let them be,there is no-harm in what they beleive,maybe in time they will understand that their is more to life than what's outside,anyhoo all in all what matters is whats on the inside and im sure that alot of atheist's are really good people,God's personality is not present on this planet at the moment,so it is hard to know exactly what the truth is.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:11 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,399,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
i kind of get what your sayin MR5150 they are sooooo convinced that nothing exist's outside the material platform and this does take a kind of faith,but im sure they have their reasons so just let them be,there is no-harm in what they beleive,maybe in time they will understand that their is more to life than what's outside,anyhoo all in all what matters is whats on the inside and im sure that alot of atheist's are really good people,God's personality is not present on this planet at the moment,so it is hard to know exactly what the truth is.
Why would you assume that atheists are materialistic? Do you know or have you ever met one?

Old 04-13-2011, 06:34 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,224,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
  • belief that is not based on proof: He had faith that thehypothesis would be substantiated by fact.

I contend that Atheists operate on a type of faith. If you believe something to be so without proof or evidence then one is operating in faith.

Or maybe I am wrong. Perhaps there is evidence that supports the Atheist POV. I just see such strong convictions among many atheists, makes me wonder. Perhaps they know something I don't.

This thread is meant to challenge and to enlighten. And to make some folk realize that it is not just the religious who believe something in faith.
It doesn't take any faith whatsoever to NOT believe an unproven claim.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:51 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,746,461 times
When I was in high school a classmate of mine told me he was once on a trip in Washington D.C., and looking out his hotel window late at night into the alley below, he saw a gang attack a man and cut off his head with a sword. He swore up and down it was true. Naturally I didn't believe him. Of course his story is possible, it's just not very likely. And without seeing a video or at least hearing about it on the news, there was no reason for me to believe what he was telling me. I certainly didn't just assume it really happened because he swore it did. I didn't have "faith" in his account of events. That being said, if someone produces a legitimate old news article or video concerning this very incident, then I'll gladly be inclined to admit I was wrong. And I feel the same way about religion, or I guess I should say, a deity. Until it's believable I see no reason to believe.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:07 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,625,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Atheism does not require any faith of any kind.

It is based on reason and logic about our world.

'
Reason works with evidence, which usually just means experience and observation.

We do this all the time, often in mundane ways. If I hear a certain noise in the next room as I’m typing this, I’ll think it’s probably the telephone, based on past experience, and I can easily check. This sort of evidence-based reasoning doesn’t take any special leap of faith.'

The religious ask us to go beyond what we know about the physical world and ask us to believe claims that are contradictory to evidence.
That
requires faith.
'...believing in supernatural beings and phenomena requires an extra step beyond just accepting the observed world and the processes of scientific inquiry. It requires faith in a sense that atheism simply doesn’t.'

Russell Blackford
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. – Frater Ravus
You're claiming to own the high ground of "reason and logic." Do you have a reasoned and logical argument that actually supports your atheistic perspective?

Your post contains nothing more than quotes and assertions expressed in an authoritative (as 'from the burning bush') manner. It may play well with your fellow skeptics and atheists in the peanut gallery or gain additional reps (wow!)...however, beyond that, very unconvincing.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:25 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,538,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

First you define faith, but fail to recognize it doesn't fit. Atheism is knowledge, based on reason, logic, and common sense, oh yea, and the absolute lack of evidence used to support believing in a figment of the imagination.

Challenge, well thanks for being honest, you want to challenge what you don't seem to be able to grasp, or primarily because you can't accept the concept, but forgive me if I don't think it is for enlightenment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality