Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2011, 06:57 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,901,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
I don't like gay people...

In short...a gay individual is no better or worse than the next person I meet on the street.
That is very interestine, Ltdumbear.

I believe that homosexuals are born that way and, like you say, are no better or worse than the next person you meet on the street. Whether or not I like a gay person is based on how they treat me and whether or not we get along as aquaintances.

Why would you say that you don't like gay people? What if you associated with a gay person at work and they had a personality similar to yours? Do you think you would get along with that person?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 11:10 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,400,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
I understand the part of idolatrous worship. Yet why does Scripture tell us that God gave them up to vile affections as punishment for their worship of those god's. And those vile affections show us that men were having sex with other men? And why does your translation say such a pratice was both unseemly, and an error?

Why does Romans 1:26,27 tell us, that men having sex with other men is unseemly, and an error?

And why do you focus only on the idolatrous worship, yet avoid speaking of the punishment?
Oh for goodness sake! Read the WHOLE letter to put those verses in context. It's not about sex!

Old 04-22-2011, 11:14 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,400,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
Well I must say this has been an 'interesting' trip, going through all 14 pages and seeing what all everyone had to say, in response to the original posters query...

Here's my answer:

I don't like gay people...I've met a few, I've hung-out in thier chat-rooms watching quietly at the things they talk about, I've even had a few pvt me in vain attempts to figure out what all I was after...and over the years I've even met with one or two over a beer and a cheeseburger...just to look them in the eye and see what they were all about.

You know what I came up with ?

NOTHING. Not a single ONE of them had anything whatsoever to say, that either captivated or 'commanded' my attention.

I find gay people to be shallow, selfish, and self-serving MORONS who have nothing to offer the outside world, other than the goods and services they provide thier respective communities within which they reside and work for.

In short...a gay individual is no better or worse than the next person I meet on the street.

I don't HATE gay people, but that does'nt necessarily mean that I'm required to LIKE a gay person either.

Unless provoked, I will not be 'rude' to a gay person, but instead will be polite (perhaps even 'deferential' if need be) but a gay person will niether receive, nor expect any 'special' treatment, provisions or 'priviledges' when dealing directly with me.

We are all one big family here on this planet...whether any of us like it or not, you are my brother, you are my sister...and like ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL family's, there will be arguments, trials, good-times, bad-times, etc....

...for better or worse, we have to learn to get along somehow, or the hatred and anymosity will will eventually pulverize this planet to dust, from whence it came.

These earthquakes, temperature changes, radical weather patterns, fire-storms, drought, etc....

Taken as a whole, they are nothing short of WARNINGS which the entire human-race should take notice of.

Time is running out.
Pot meet kettle.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:01 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,977,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Excellent Campo....so God's still exist. Now would you please tell us why you are not out killing homosexuals and people that work on the Sabbath?
Because Jesus brought the New Covenant which was promised to us in the Old Testament. And that Covenant was shown to us when they brought the woman caught in audultry before Jesus and they said to Him. This woman was caught in the very act. The Law demands that she be put to death. What should we do with her. And Jesus said to them, he who is without sin throw the first stone. Of course the men left then, and Jesus told the woman to go and sin no more.

Jesus saw the sin, yet He nolonger pushed the punishment. And we Christians must follow His example.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:18 AM

19 posts, read 52,061 times
Default Homosexuality

I am a 54 year old gay man and am active in the Episcopal Church. I find it very sad that many people of faith, have major hangups over this issue. I always remind people who recite biblical passages to support their homophobia, that the Bible was written by men over 2000 years ago. These people had their prejudices and were not infallible! St Paul condoned the practice of stoning people to death and you can find passages in the Bible supporting slavery. Because its in the Bible does that make it acceptable to engage in? Obviously not! I never have felt that the Bible was meant to be taken literally. My church has always maintained that position and has a long and proud history of taking progressive stands on this and other issues. I am so proud to be an Episcopalian-its never easy to do the right things-but God commanded us to love one another and to be accepting of everyone-there is no litmus test to get into heaven! I was born a gay Christian and created by God who makes no mistakes! Its not a choice that evangelicals and conservative Christians always insist upon!

Old 04-23-2011, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Oh for goodness sake! Read the WHOLE letter to put those verses in context. It's not about sex!

Jaymax, one could read the whole letter one hundred times. It does not change that fact that men having sex with other men do so because God gave them over to a reprobate mind as spoken of in Romans 1:28. The reading of the full chapter only confirms the evilness of their actions. A teenager could see this. Is it that this sin is so supported by you, that you must ignore the obvious?

Verse 25 tells us that those who change the truth for a lie are the ones given over to a reprobate mind. And because of this, God gave them over to evil affections. And those evil affections show us men having sex with other men.

If having sex with other men is ok. Why does the Bible tell us God punished men who changed the truth for a lie. And that punishment came when God gave such men over to a reprobate mind. And part of that perversion was men having sex with other men?

WHY CAN'T YOU ACKNOWLEDGE WHAT IS SO CLEARLY STATED HERE?

Old 04-23-2011, 02:30 AM

You obviously don't know what your talking about when it comes to gay issues! You say you dislike all gay people but then say you don't hate them and that we should all get along! You then state something totally absurd-that gay people are all shallow and self-serving! There are over 10 million gays and lesbians in this country and thousands serving in our military! Moderator cut: edit
You met a few gays in your life and think your a damn expert on this topic! You need to go back to school!

Last edited by june 7th; 04-23-2011 at 08:30 AM..

Old 04-23-2011, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauledward View Post
I am a 54 year old gay man and am active in the Episcopal Church. I find it very sad that many people of faith, have major hangups over this issue. I always remind people who recite biblical passages to support their homophobia, that the Bible was written by men over 2000 years ago. These people had their prejudices and were not infallible! St Paul condoned the practice of stoning people to death and you can find passages in the Bible supporting slavery. Because its in the Bible does that make it acceptable to engage in? Obviously not! I never have felt that the Bible was meant to be taken literally. My church has always maintained that position and has a long and proud history of taking progressive stands on this and other issues. I am so proud to be an Episcopalian-its never easy to do the right things-but God commanded us to love one another and to be accepting of everyone-there is no litmus test to get into heaven! I was born a gay Christian and created by God who makes no mistakes! Its not a choice that evangelicals and conservative Christians always insist upon!
If the Bible is not infallible, then what can one believe. Paul did not support stoning people to death after He began to follow Christ. Your churches progressive stand is nothing more than giving the God of the Bible the finger. God did not commanded us to ignore His word or His teachings. Yes God created you. Yet God did not create murders, adulters, or Homosexuals. Clearly if you only choose to pick the parts you like in the Bible, and ignore the other parts. Then you can, and will believe a lie.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:41 AM

Campbell34-there is no justification for denying gays equal justice and fairness and to be wholeheartely accepted by society. You refer to the Bible to justify your hatred towards gays
and there are no verses that specifically denounce homosexuality-only inferences! The Bible is NOT
to be taken as literally true-althought Bible-thumping Baptists and Pentecostals are known for that!
The Bible was not written by God but by men who had preconceived prejudices and were definately
not perfect! God created everybody in His image and He made people like me without any mistakes!
Being gay is NOT a choice one makes but is something your born with. I accepted the fact I was gay and I have found much support from my christian family and friends over the years! I continue to support and defend the Episcopal Church of my birth and am so proud of for making me feel loved and accepted!

Old 04-23-2011, 02:55 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,794,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonUSA View Post
I'm not saying that all religious people do not like homosexuals but some people say that it says it in the bible or something so can someone tell me where it says this please.

Note: I am not gay, this is more out of curiosity

Who says they don't 'like' them...the truth is that the homosexual lifestyle is un-natural because you cannot create life from it and the anus is a place where naturally things are supposed to flow out of not into...Does my statement mean I hate gay people? No, but gay people get offended when they face these facts/truths and take it as hate and think we condemn them when only God can condemn people. facts are just facts and usually when someone hears the truth it's hard to swallow especially if it is a truth within themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality