Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 03:35 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Well, thanks for the info but I was just clowning around. I've met and known many JWs. Most were very fine people. they don't bother me. I've invited them into my home and spoken to them in front of my door and sent them away frustrated when they realized I knew more about their sect than they wish I did and that I too have all kinds of objections to "Christendom" like they do but DON'T need their variation of the same basic ingredients of the Kool-Aid. Outside of that, they try to do what's right it seems.

Now, that Hispanic girl was smoking. Me and her in a Watch Tower would be mythical because we would really be Awake. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 06:34 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,042,995 times
I live in Sarasota, Florida, and have noticed this exact same thing!

I have noticed both variants: the older matriarch flaunting the younger attractive female, and a group of two young females.

Unfortunately, my residence is now on their "No-No" List and they no longer come around to have our pleasant talks anymore. And that makes me a saaaaaaaaaaaaad panda.....

INSANE, GIVE ME SOME OF YOUR HEART MEDICINE! Kawaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Old 07-10-2014, 09:27 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Just before I moved out of South Florida a few years ago, I used to live near a Kingdom Hall (doesn't everybody?). Members used to frequent a nearby supermarket plaza to "witness" to folks. In years past, it was very easy to ignore them or brush 'em off, but then I noticed a big change. Geared toward men like me, were some hot looking girls, dressed on the very edge of conservative with a hint of sexiness. I mean, what happened to the old, boring looking Mother Goose types? I was shocked when this shapely, Hispanic girl walked up to me, wanting to give me a Watchtower magazine. Of course I was interested...in the magazine too.

Personally, I think that was a low and dirty thing they started doing and if that was not bad enough, they even sent a beautiful, young Jamaican girl up to my door on another occasion. That is just to underhanded. You really don't expect me not to open my door when a 5'7", curvaceous, lovely faced woman walks up to your door with a smile, right?

Now here in New York, apparently they have not caught on yet because their representatives still are not eye-candy material.
Hmm...imagine that....the ranks of the JW's actually represent the demographic of the area they're living in.

Do you think they purposely went out and hired a bunch of models? Do you question the sincerity of the girls' belief?

Old 07-10-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Hmm...imagine that....the ranks of the JW's actually represent the demographic of the area they're living in.

Do you think they purposely went out and hired a bunch of models? Do you question the sincerity of the girls' belief?

I doubt they hired models, but purposefully selected attractive young women from their flock? Most definitely. Recruitment methods of many denominations use the best methods available. There is a reason the majority of their members are high-school graduates (if that) and below - not above. There is a reason their iconography is so multi-cultured. There is a reason the emotionally vulnerable (recovering drug/alcohol addicts, the recently divorced, the recently bereaved) are highly targeted. The latter is used by most denominations, not just the JWs.

There are proven and tried methods of recruiting new members, regardless of the denomination.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:25 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
I doubt they hired models, but purposefully selected attractive young women from their flock? Most definitely. Recruitment methods of many denominations use the best methods available. There is a reason the majority of their members are high-school graduates (if that) and below - not above. There is a reason their iconography is so multi-cultured. There is a reason the emotionally vulnerable (recovering drug/alcohol addicts, the recently divorced, the recently bereaved) are highly targeted. The latter is used by most denominations, not just the JWs.

There are proven and tried methods of recruiting new members, regardless of the denomination.
I think all JW's are told to go out and knock on doors and share their religion. The fact that some of them happen to be very attractive is the law of averages. Yes--there are going to be some that look better than others.

I can actually relate, to be honest. As a young, single guy I had 2 very attractive mormon girls knock on my door. I'll admit that as I was sitting there trying to share the Gospel with them I was thinking how I'd like to date one.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I think all JW's are told to go out and knock on doors and share their religion. The fact that some of them happen to be very attractive is the law of averages. Yes--there are going to be some that look better than others.

I can actually relate, to be honest. As a young, single guy I had 2 very attractive mormon girls knock on my door. I'll admit that as I was sitting there trying to share the Gospel with them I was thinking how I'd like to date one.

Perhaps you're right, I dunno. Maybe you should switch sides and get yourself a Mormon girl. Or two. Or three hee hee!

I'll ask some of my JW acquaintances the next time I talk to them, and see if they know anything about it. Sometimes they are honest with me about how they work, and sometimes the word "apostate" starts to come onto their lips before they remember their manners heh!

But hey... in the end, we all know that sex sells, even if it's subtle. And you'll never find a JW going around that isn't making an attempt to at least be well-dressed. Heck, my one friend is an older woman who wears a youthful wig to help show people what eternal life might be like. Now that's sneaky... I should add that JWs are given certain neighborhoods and must keep a record of where they go, how often, and what the people are like there. It's not like JWs are sitting around at home and just decide to go proselytizing when they have free time. It's highly controlled and prevents most of them from ever holding a full-time job. It's kind of... disgraceful.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:57 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,840 times
I'm surprised they have the women go out and witness. I've only seen men so far come to the door.

The beauty of a woman really can make men think and do stupid things. I'm sure this has included for many to even convert to a religious system. Something like this would be a VERY good way of getting men to join their religion, especially if the man concludes in their foggy mind that there actually could be a chance... which most times there isn't.. but the result would be the same.. a convert to the JW religion.. until at least he realizes there's no chance with the girl.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:07 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
I'm surprised they have the women go out and witness. I've only seen men so far come to the door.

The beauty of a woman really can make men think and do stupid things. I'm sure this has included for many to even convert to a religious system. Something like this would be a VERY good way of getting men to join their religion, especially if the man concludes in their foggy mind that there actually could be a chance... which most times there isn't.. but the result would be the same.. a convert to the JW religion.. until at least he realizes there's no chance with the girl.
A guy would have to be desperate, smitten, or just plain dumb to adopt a religion because of a pretty girl.

On further thought, he'd have to be all three.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:11 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
A guy would have to be desperate, smitten, or just plain dumb to adopt a religion because of a pretty girl.

On further thought, he'd have to be all three.
I agree, but the beauty of a woman can make men do some pretty stupid things they wouldn't otherwise do.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:22 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,603,625 times
Yet another reason not to answer the door if you don't know the people knocking!

The granny might be lifting your silver while the younger one distracts you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality