Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Would You Like Atheists To Do?
What they're currently doing is fine 29 45.31%
I want them to be more polite in discussions 24 37.50%
I want them to become more humble and accepting 14 21.88%
I want them to quit removing "God" from the public square 8 12.50%
I want them to be quiet and never admit their disbelief in public 2 3.13%
I feel they must start believing in God, if they don't I won't trust them 3 4.69%
Other (Explain) 9 14.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 04:27 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times

Advertisements

I think I'm getting the "atheist reputation" but technically I'm still an agnostic.

I want atheists to argue with cold, hard and true facts.

I want them to attack with logic, strength and style.

I want them to challenge my ideas and make me think.

Otherwise, I don't learn anything.

Seriously though people. If you aren't interested in having anyone upset your world, why the hell are you in the mosh pit?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 06:24 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
If you don't believe in God that is a personal decision. Why does this necessitate an all-out verbal assault on those that do believe in God or some manner of religion? There are quite a few atheists on this board who I'd swear couldn't say anything nice to a person of faith if their life depended on it. If you have facts and information go ahead and cite it. But why the name-calling, condescending tone? Why is it so important to chime in with "There is no God you're all idiots!!" in every conversation no matter what? Why interject your heart-felt contempt for one particular religion when that religion has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand? When did repeating the same thing over and over again ever start being a convincing argument?

See also:
Annoying | Flash Videos

PS: I do welcome intelligent debate and discussion.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:47 PM

869 posts, read 972,482 times
Quote:
Lightning Bolt Juggler
If you don't believe in God that is a personal decision. Why does this necessitate an all-out verbal assault on those that do believe in God or some manner of religion?....

It's because they feel under attack by Christianity. They accuse Christians of trying to force religious beliefs down their throats via trying to ban evolutionist teachings from public schools. So since they think we have a jihad going against them they feel justified in a jihad of their own.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Golden Oldie
We atheists need to become more visible and less intimidated by the public's disdain. But we need to work at being less abrasive when doing so
Excuse me but I really don't see atheists intimidated and timidly going about their business as you seem to be indicating. What I see is a very agressive modus operandi on all fronts. Motion pictures support atheistic evolution. Public schools support it. Educational programs on cable such as Discovery Channel actively support it via only presenting the atheistic view from atheist scientists. All branches of so-called higher learning support it and expect student and professor compliance with it. Biology, zooology, anthropology textbooks at all educational levels are required to give only the atheistic view. So I really don't see the desperate need for more visibility and the anti-atheist persecutory public-disdain environment you are referring to. Care to explain?

Last edited by Radrook; 05-18-2011 at 07:01 PM..

Old 05-18-2011, 08:16 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
Excuse me but I really don't see atheists intimidated and timidly going about their business as you seem to be indicating. What I see is a very agressive modus operandi on all fronts. Motion pictures support atheistic evolution. Public schools support it. Educational programs on cable such as Discovery Channel actively support it via only presenting the atheistic view from atheist scientists. All branches of so-called higher learning support it and expect student and professor compliance with it. Biology, zooology, anthropology textbooks at all educational levels are required to give only the atheistic view. So I really don't see the desperate need for more visibility and the anti-atheist persecutory public-disdain environment you are referring to. Care to explain?
Evolution is not the atheist view. Atheism and evolution aren't synonymous, and nor are theism and creationism. There are people who believe evolution was guided or overlooked by God and there are religious theists who believe in evolution.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Evolution is not the atheist view. Atheism and evolution aren't synonymous,....
Doesn't the context of my statement inidicate clearly that I am referring to atheistic evolution? Evolution as taught in public schools makes no mention of the possibility of a deity being involved. In fact, that's what the biblical fundamentalist protests are all about. That's common knowledge.

Quote:
....and nor are theism and creationism. There are people who believe evolution was guided or overlooked by God and there are religious theists who believe in evolution.

I know. The question is what leads you to believe that I don't know. Care to explain?

Old 05-19-2011, 06:11 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Hear! Hear!

Old 05-19-2011, 09:03 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,326,902 times
well I would say I am a secular humanist which is a atheist type of view

Secular Humanism is a comprehensive life stance that focuses on the way human beings can lead happy and functional lives. Though it posits that human beings are capable of being ethical and moral without religion or God, it neither assumes humans to be inherently or innately good, nor presents humans as "above nature" or superior to it. Rather, the Humanist life stance emphasizes the unique responsibility facing humanity and the ethical consequences of human decisions.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:29 PM

165 posts, read 138,945 times
Quote:
No, the problem isn't that I can't read, the problem is you can't make a cogent point in a non-traditional format.

You're asking atheists to get real about evidence, is that right? If you're a person of faith, evidence should be the last thing on your mind, by definition.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:32 PM

165 posts, read 138,945 times
Quote:
Places of learning and the Discovery Channel don't include the "atheistic" viewpoint. They merely operate under the assumption that evolution is fact. Because it is.

The day creationism comes up with more than "I hope", they'll do a cute documentary about it, I'm sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality