Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Would You Like Atheists To Do?
What they're currently doing is fine 29 45.31%
I want them to be more polite in discussions 24 37.50%
I want them to become more humble and accepting 14 21.88%
I want them to quit removing "God" from the public square 8 12.50%
I want them to be quiet and never admit their disbelief in public 2 3.13%
I feel they must start believing in God, if they don't I won't trust them 3 4.69%
Other (Explain) 9 14.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 04:33 PM

165 posts, read 138,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
Doesn't the context of my statement inidicate clearly that I am referring to atheistic evolution? Evolution as taught in public schools makes no mention of the possibility of a deity being involved. In fact, that's what the biblical fundamentalist protests are all about. That's common knowledge.
They don't mention that because school science classes are required to discuss what's true, not what's vaguely guessed at by goat-herders in AD 100.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 08:00 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I think I'm getting the "atheist reputation" but technically I'm still an agnostic.
That's because you're still going to church with your wife now and then, Chango. Gotta stop cold turkey, man.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:41 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,465,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
Doesn't the context of my statement inidicate clearly that I am referring to atheistic evolution? Evolution as taught in public schools makes no mention of the possibility of a deity being involved. In fact, that's what the biblical fundamentalist protests are all about. That's common knowledge.
It's not common knowledge. It's a common assumption. I can understand why you make it cause I made the same assumption before too. I grew up atheist and when our teachers taught us about evolution I thought it implied atheism and expressed my atheism openly which surprised and offended many of my teachers. I remember one of them wrote about it in my report card. Teaching evolution and teaching atheism do not equate. Teaching evolution is not teaching atheistic evolution.

I don't know what there is to explain. I'm not even sure I quite understand what you're asking me to explain.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:32 PM

49 posts, read 44,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
It's not common knowledge. It's a common assumption. I can understand why you make it cause I made the same assumption before too. I grew up atheist and when our teachers taught us about evolution I thought it implied atheism and expressed my atheism openly which surprised and offended many of my teachers. I remember one of them wrote about it in my report card. Teaching evolution and teaching atheism do not equate. Teaching evolution is not teaching atheistic evolution.

I don't know what there is to explain. I'm not even sure I quite understand what you're asking me to explain.
I think the point is that atheism or theism doesn't enter into it. Why something is happening is irrelevant. How it's happening is the question answered by evolution.

That said, evolution strongly implies no designer is needed.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:56 PM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KangarooMan View Post
I think the point is that atheism or theism doesn't enter into it. Why something is happening is irrelevant. How it's happening is the question answered by evolution.
The Why is not irrelevant to some of us . . . but it is certainly not answered by evolution . . . and the How is only partially answered.
Quote:
That said, evolution strongly implies no designer is needed.
It can ONLY imply that if you ASSume that the very processes you credit with producing the designs we discover were NOT themselves designed to do precisely that! I find far too many atheists to be rather superficial thinkers with regard to reality.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The Why is not irrelevant to some of us . . . but it is certainly not answered by evolution . . . and the How is only partially answered.It can ONLY imply that if you ASSume that the very processes you credit with producing the designs we discover were NOT themselves designed to do precisely that! I find far too many atheists to be rather superficial thinkers with regard to reality.
There's certainly nothing related to "thinking" insofar as creationism is concerned. "Hey, some grand wizard made it all!" is about the laziest explanation I can fathom.

And please, the "ass"ume pun? Now you've REALLY disqualified yourself from critcizing other people's thinking.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:29 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,085,116 times
It would be nice if a few of them would stop acting like evangelical preachers and stop trying to convert me. That only applies to a few atheists. There is no one person or even one group that is representative of all atheists.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:31 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Lose the materialist default delusion and deepen their awareness of the philosophical issues they gloss over and consider irrelevant . . . it only emphasizes their ignorance.
I can't speak for everyone, but I gloss over the philosophical issues because with so many religions throwing them around it's like watching a channel with nothing but commercials. They all say they're the right one, then they conflict.

I try to consider any philosophy, but I also remember that there's no such thing as a perfectly rounded philosophy, and there's a lot of them out there too. And for every philosophical school of thought, there's another that counters it. It's really just like choosing what brand of cigarettes you prefer - and if you find ones you like, smoke em...

Old 05-20-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
It would be nice if a few of them would stop acting like evangelical preachers and stop trying to convert me. That only applies to a few atheists. There is no one person or even one group that is representative of all atheists.
In my experience, you're only going to hear "preaching" from atheists in response to "preaching" from religious kooks. So blame the real evangelists. Atheists feel no need to convert people.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:35 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,327,374 times
I put to be more humble and accepting. But it isn't just Atheists who need to do this, we all need to do this. I think this is the only solution to the whole religious thing. You don't have to accept the persons religion, just that it is their religion and accept them as they are. Some Atheist and theists already do this, so they are doing alright.

What people need to realize is that we are all the same, sure we have literally hundreds of social labels that separate us, but we only need one to brings us all together, Human race.

Why do we think that what religion, race, sex, sexual orientation, nationality, hair, height, weight, and other such labels matters? To be honest, it doesn't. All social labels do is divide us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality