Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 11:42 PM

63,834 posts, read 40,118,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Mystic, I'm going to refrain from commenting on the other things you don't like about Mormonism, but this one got me thinking... Which "whackadoo" events in the Bible do you believe in and which ones don't you believe in? And how do you decide which ones are "whackadoo"?
I don't believe in any whackadoo events in or out of the Bible. Anything that is not consistent with reality as we understand it and requires a "supernatural" explanation is whackadoo until proven otherwise or explained without resort to "supernaturalism" or superstition. Our reality is entirely consistent and understandable . . . so I will accept nothing that isn't. That is why it took me 40+ years to explain my unmistakable experience of God to my satisfaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 11:44 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I don't believe in any whackadoo events in or out of the Bible. Anything that is not consistent with reality as we understand it and requires a "supernatural" explanation is whackadoo until proven otherwise or explained without resort to "supernaturalism" or superstition. Our reality is entirely consistent and understandable . . . so I will accept nothing that isn't. That is why it took me 40+ years to explain my unmistakable experience of God to my satisfaction.
Oh yes! I'd forgotten about your journey. How could I have done that? So, would it be accurate to say that you don't believe that Jesus Christ was born of a Virgin?

Old 05-15-2011, 11:51 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,435,584 times
Quote:
LOL! Oh, yeah. The "Utah County Mormon" is even worse than the "Utah Mormon." Don't worry, Kangrui, you don't fit the stereotype.
'Liberal' isn't a term i'm used to someone using to describe me but in the context of the church it probably fits.It seems that on this forum at least,hueff will concede that liberal mormons are typical.I suppose he will have to add kangrui to the list

Old 05-16-2011, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Oh yes! I'd forgotten about your journey. How could I have done that? So, would it be accurate to say that you don't believe that Jesus Christ was born of a Virgin?
The specifics of my beliefs about Jesus are not relevant other than to say they are completely consistent with reality and the divinity of His consciousness. The legend of Jesus is central as the most sophisticated and highly evolved version of God's inspiration (spiritual DNA) for us to learn about His true Nature and our purpose to "love God and each other." (BTW . . . there is nothing inconsistent with reality about parthenogenesis.)

Old 05-16-2011, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
'Liberal' isn't a term i'm used to someone using to describe me but in the context of the church it probably fits.
The term is definitely relative. Depending upon who's making the assessment, I could be thought of as extremely liberal or extremely conservative.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The specifics of my beliefs about Jesus are not relevant other than to say they are completely consistent with reality and the divinity of His consciousness. The legend of Jesus is central as the most sophisticated and highly evolved version of God's inspiration (spiritual DNA) for us to learn about His true Nature and our purpose to "love God and each other." (BTW . . . there is nothing inconsistent with reality about parthenogenesis.)
Uh... you kind of lost me, Mystic, but that's okay. I generally have a hard time understanding metaphysical stuff (which is probably why no one has ever successfully explained the doctrine of the Trinity in terms I can relate to).

Old 05-16-2011, 12:07 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,931,186 times
That's a little too general . . . I doubt that all Mormons are the same so how could you profess to "like" something about a huge number of people you don't even know?

As far as the religion is concerned, it seems a little cultish, what with the visions and the discrimination towards black people, the patriarchial stance towards women and children, the boycotting of coffee I would find especially challenging Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-16-2011 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: magic underwear is NOT the topic of this thread

Old 05-16-2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Uh... you kind of lost me, Mystic, but that's okay. I generally have a hard time understanding metaphysical stuff (which is probably why no one has ever successfully explained the doctrine of the Trinity in terms I can relate to).
Understand. The Trinity doctrine as currently concocted is bogus because of its inappropriate understanding of personhood. What makes us each individual "persons" is the uniqueness of our consciousness. Our consciousness is also our Spirit. God's consciousness is His Holy Spirit. When Jesus achieved perfect resonance with God's consciousness . . . He became identical with God (indistinguishable) . . . so of course He is also God's Holy spirit in human consciousness form. That is what makes God accessible to our human consciousnesses. The separate person stuff is pure nonsense and a result of our carnal nature and obsession with our physicality . . . plus our ancestors' ignorance about consciousness and its role in personhood.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:29 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,824,585 times
I'll play, 'cause I know you love to hear me talk about mormonism, Katz

Like:

I am very interested with Mormon history, and Utah history in particular. I think the LDS church has an extremely colorful history full of fascinating characters.

From a sociological perspective, I find the practices of mormonism to be a strange but fascinating mix of the fervor found in pentacostal religions mixed with the scholarly theological perspectives of churches like Catholicism.

Mormonism may be the most "American" of any religion, while the government and the church have historically been at odds, the LDS church through history has almost always embodied the ideals of Americanism at it's heart.

dislike:

I'm in a weird inbetween place as a non-member married to an active mormon in a VERY LDS neigbhorhood; obvously I don't believe but despite my criticisms I don't hate the mormons or or want to see the LDS church fail (OK, maybe a little, but I don't feel any need to help it along ).

But I DO hate the "Utah LDS culture", which is essentially the commercialization of the LDS religion. I get sick when I walk though a Seagull or Deseret Bookstore with my wife or one of my neighbor's homes which is totally decked out in LDS paraphenalia.

It's kinda weird because I don't believe the doctrine... But there is something just wrong about $500.00 giant jesus prints, Captain Moroni action figures, ceramic temples and ten million non-doctrine books that create a bizarre, way too bright and shiny and ultimately superficial, insincere and cheaped version of church beliefs; something that I'm sure would not have sat well with 'ole Joe Smith and Brigham Young.

I also hate how the church whitewashes it's history, but I guess every institution does that...

Last edited by Chango; 05-16-2011 at 09:40 AM..

Old 05-16-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I'll play, 'cause I know you love to hear me talk about mormonism, Katz

Like:

I am very interested with Mormon history, and Utah history in particular. I think the LDS church has an extremely colorful history full of fascinating characters.

From a sociological perspective, I find the practices of mormonism to be a strange but fascinating mix of the fervor found in pentacostal religions mixed with the scholarly theological perspectives of churches like Catholicism.

Mormonism may be the most "American" of any religion, while the government and the church have historically been at odds, the LDS church through history has almost always embodied the ideals of Americanism at it's heart.

dislike:

I'm in a weird inbetween place as a non-member married to an active mormon in a VERY LDS neigbhorhood; obvously I don't believe but despite my criticisms I don't hate the mormons or or want to see the LDS church fail (OK, maybe a little, but I don't feel any need to help it along ).

But I DO hate the "Utah LDS culture", which is essentially the commercialization of the LDS religion. I get sick when I walk though a Seagull or Deseret Bookstore with my wife or one of my neighbor's homes which is totally decked out in LDS paraphenalia.

It's kinda weird because I don't believe the doctrine... But there is something just wrong about $500.00 giant jesus prints, Captain Moroni action figures, ceramic temples and ten million non-doctrine books that create a bizarre, way too bright and shiny and ultimately superficial, insincere and cheaped version of church beliefs; something that I'm sure would not have sat well with 'ole Joe Smith and Brigham Young.

I also hate how the church whitewashes it's history, but I guess every institution does that...
Chango, you're priceless. I mean that in the nicest sort of way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality