Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 10:29 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times

Advertisements

I like the emphasis on Jesus Christ . . . and most of the ones I have met and know personally are nice decent people who "love God and each other" . . . so they are sufficiently Christian in my book.

I don't like their whackadoo beliefs in the origin of the Book of Mormon or trust in Joseph Smith, the details of the afterlife and superstitious practices, the anachronistic cultural aspects of domestic relationships, gender roles and sexual practices, and the presumptuousness of according apostleship and other authority to mere humans alive today.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 05-15-2011 at 11:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 10:57 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,431,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post

Now, Katzpur and Imbobbb, both are rather liberal and permit themselves to disagree with the Brethern more than most Mormons. So, I encourage their approach to Mormonism, but their approach is not the typical one.
I'm not sure we are as atypical as you let on.....but i'll accept the compliment.I live in an area where mormons are a small minority and get along fine with non-mormons....we have to...or be we'd be pretty lonely .

I'm not sure if we are as influenced as much here by the 'higher' leaders as those who live in say,utah and idaho....I don't really know since I haven't lived there, but some comments from those who have make me think that is possibly true.

As far as 'promoting homophobia'...I have never in the few years i've been in the church heard the subject of homosexuality ever brought up by anyone...locally.

I have had a few of the missionaries from western states comment to me that 'people in the church around here are different than back home' but they werent real specific,nor did they seem to be disparaging about it,but just making an observation.

Perhaps there is a regional dimension to what consitutes a 'typical mormon'.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:09 PM

866 posts, read 1,559,837 times
I'm not sure if I'm really allowed to post since I'm a current practicing Mormon, but...

Like: Having a church that still has a connection with God. That is the most important part about the church for me.

Dislike: Hypocritical Mormons who think they poorly on non-Mormons or other imperfect people, which isn't very Christlike. Even though I wouldn't say they're a majority, they can lead to a bad impression.

Last edited by PGKangrui; 05-15-2011 at 11:25 PM..

Old 05-15-2011, 11:18 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
As far as 'promoting homophobia'...I have never in the few years i've been in the church heard the subject of homosexuality ever brought up by anyone...locally.
Wow, you are very lucky. I'd suggest you watch a documentary that you can get at any video rental store "8: The Mormon Proposition". Now Mormons will say that it is biased, and it probably is to some extent, but I still feel it is accurate and very enlightening.

Actually, there is a ton of info out there; depends on what you want. Quotes from the Brethern, stories Mormon gay youth suicides, stories about the torturous aversion therapy by Mormon therapists used to "treat" gays for their gayness. Just let me know.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:19 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
I have had a few of the missionaries from western states comment to me that 'people in the church around here are different than back home' but they werent real specific,nor did they seem to be disparaging about it,but just making an observation.

Perhaps there is a regional dimension to what consitutes a 'typical mormon'.
There is a term, "Utah Mormon," which is decidedly unflattering. It is generally used to describe Mormons who have always lived in areas where Mormons are the majority. These Mormons are thought to be very provincial, insular and intolerant of people outside of their own circles. As a Mormon who has always lived in Utah, it's a term I really hope is never used to describe me because it is definitely not what I want to be perceived as.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:24 PM

866 posts, read 1,559,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
There is a term, "Utah Mormon," which is decidedly unflattering. It is generally used to describe Mormons who have always lived in areas where Mormons are the majority. These Mormons are thought to be very provincial, insular and intolerant of people outside of their own circles. As a Mormon who has always lived in Utah, it's a term I really hope is never used to describe me because it is definitely not what I want to be perceived as.
Don't forget the infamous "Utah County Mormon". I prefer not to be associated with that term, despite being both a Utah County resident and a Mormon. It's the stereotype that describes the people I mentioned that I dislike.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangrui View Post
Don't forget the infamous "Utah County Mormon". I prefer not to be associated with that term, despite being both a Utah County resident and a Mormon. It's the stereotype that describes the people I mentioned that I dislike.
LOL! Oh, yeah. The "Utah County Mormon" is even worse than the "Utah Mormon." Don't worry, Kangrui, you don't fit the stereotype.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I don't like their whackadoo beliefs in the origin of the Book of Mormon or trust in Joseph Smith...
Mystic, I'm going to refrain from commenting on the other things you don't like about Mormonism, but this one got me thinking... Which "whackadoo" events in the Bible do you believe in and which ones don't you believe in? And how do you decide which ones are "whackadoo"?

Old 05-15-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Wow, you are very lucky. I'd suggest you watch a documentary that you can get at any video rental store "8: The Mormon Proposition". Now Mormons will say that it is biased, and it probably is to some extent, but I still feel it is accurate and very enlightening.

Actually, there is a ton of info out there; depends on what you want. Quotes from the Brethern, stories Mormon gay youth suicides, stories about the torturous aversion therapy by Mormon therapists used to "treat" gays for their gayness. Just let me know.
I think you make a good point, Hueff. On the other hand, I don't think we're typically worse that most Christians in this area, just better organized in getting the message out, if that makes sense. The LDS Church heirarchy is probably stronger as a unit than any of the Protestant Church heirarchies are. (Just for the record, I personally do not believe churches should be in the business of legislating morality. Not only is it ineffective, I don't believe it's what God would want.)

Old 05-15-2011, 11:41 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,431,956 times
Quote:

I assume this was about the gay marriage vote in california.I did read about some of it on a few lds oriented forums but I have never heard a word about it where I live in west virginia from anyone in the stake or my ward.The subject was very heated on the forums I mentioned with many being very angry with the church getting involved and others strongly defending the churches involvement.People on the forums were very polorized,neither side seemed interested in any moderation at all.I got attacked by both sides a few times and after that ignored the topic and let the hardliners just throw mud at each other.

People in my area don't seem that interested in what is going on churchwise outside of the stake....from reading some forums that might be a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality