Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2011, 09:18 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I mean from what I can tell it did mock your religion, but it's nice that it also tried to say "But you know what if they're good people leave them alone about it." Which would be a nice message for many here.
You're right; it mocked my religion but with a positive edge. It doesn't bother me all that much. I'm just not a fan of the show. I enjoy satire, but only when it accomplishes something worthwhile. Ridicule for the sake of ridicule has just never appealed to me.

Last edited by Katzpur; 05-20-2011 at 09:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 10:39 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You couldn't find one positive thing to say, so you resorted to sarcasm. Okay, I'll help you out. Here's one positive thing about the LDS Church and its members:
  • The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints provides relief and development projects for humanitarian purposes in countries all over the world. Projects operate without regard to the nationality or religion of the recipients.
  • Humanitarian service may include emergency response to natural disasters, such as an earthquake or a tsunami, or man-made disasters, such as the effects of war and famine. It may also be part of a longer-term effort to meet serious and more entrenched human needs, such as the need to alleviate disease.
  • Within hours of a disaster, the Church works with local government officials to determine what supplies and food are needed. Materials are then immediately sent to the area.
  • After urgent needs are met, the Church looks for additional ways to help with the long-term needs of the community. The Church’s approach is to help people become self-reliant by teaching skills and providing resources for a self-sustained life.
  • Donations, principally from Church members but also from people around the world, are used to make relief projects possible. One hundred percent of the donations given to the Church’s humanitarian services are used for relief efforts. The Church absorbs its own overhead costs.
  • The humanitarian services arm of the Church sponsors five ongoing global projects to help people become more self-reliant. Initiatives include neonatal resuscitation training, clean water projects, wheelchair distribution, vision treatment and measles vaccinations.
(Source: Humanitarian Services - LDS Newsroom)
All of this is true of the Jehovah's Witnesses too. I find it interesting that LDS and JW's are the most on-top-of-it when it comes to disaster relief. When I studied with the JW's and volunteered at the Red Cross at the same time, the JW's were actually faster at responding to disasters. I'm really glad to hear the same is true of LDS and find it really impressive.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:48 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
You're right; it mocked my religion but with a positive edge. It doesn't bother me all that much. I'm just not a fan of the show. I enjoy satire, but only when it accomplishes something worthwhile. Ridicule for the sake of ridicule has just never appealed to me.
Mormons are just nice decent people, period. That I find aspects of their beliefs a bit whackadoo is irrelevant since they would probably think the same about aspects of mine. That they are Christians is NOT in question, tho.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:11 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Christians is NOT in question, tho.
I love you, Mystic.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:26 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,406,421 times
Quote:
You couldn't find one positive thing to say, so you resorted to sarcasm. Okay, I'll help you out. Here's one positive thing about the LDS Church and its members:
  • The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints provides relief and development projects for humanitarian purposes in countries all over the world. Projects operate without regard to the nationality or religion of the recipients.
  • Humanitarian service may include emergency response to natural disasters, such as an earthquake or a tsunami, or man-made disasters, such as the effects of war and famine. It may also be part of a longer-term effort to meet serious and more entrenched human needs, such as the need to alleviate disease.
  • Within hours of a disaster, the Church works with local government officials to determine what supplies and food are needed. Materials are then immediately sent to the area.
  • After urgent needs are met, the Church looks for additional ways to help with the long-term needs of the community. The Church’s approach is to help people become self-reliant by teaching skills and providing resources for a self-sustained life.
  • Donations, principally from Church members but also from people around the world, are used to make relief projects possible. One hundred percent of the donations given to the Church’s humanitarian services are used for relief efforts. The Church absorbs its own overhead costs.
  • The humanitarian services arm of the Church sponsors five ongoing global projects to help people become more self-reliant. Initiatives include neonatal resuscitation training, clean water projects, wheelchair distribution, vision treatment and measles vaccinations.
(Source: Humanitarian Services - LDS Newsroom)
Katz, thank you for educating me about the efforts of Mormons to make the world a better place, with special attention to those in extreme need. These are all worthy and wonderful efforts.

However, I was not being sarcastic. I think the book is hilarious, and I believe that about the worst thing that could befall the Mormon Church would be for everybody else to read it.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:58 PM

866 posts, read 1,559,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Katz, thank you for educating me about the efforts of Mormons to make the world a better place, with special attention to those in extreme need. These are all worthy and wonderful efforts.

However, I was not being sarcastic. I think the book is hilarious, and I believe that about the worst thing that could befall the Mormon Church would be for everybody else to read it.
Most Mormons have read the Book of Mormon and it doesn't seem ridiculous to us. I can understand why it might seem odd to some people, though. Usually missionaries who try to convert people will ask them to read the Book of Mormon before doing much else.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:46 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,432,361 times
Quote:
Well about 12 years before I joined the lds church I found my 'book of mormon' in a house I was renting and started reading it to find the 'crazy parts'.I didn't find anything any crazier than what is contained within the bible,for that matter I found it less crazy than much of the old testament....your results may vary

I'm not familiar with your religious leanings,for an atheist to hold such views would be consistent....for a follower of another christian group I find the view a bit odd.Many people find the idea of God talking to a poor farmboy in newyork to be funny and stupid....and yet have no problem with concepts like 'virgin birth',God chooses a poor teenage girl to bear his child,the child growing up/healing the sick/raising the dead/dying and resurrecting and flying off to heaven.etc etc.I have no issue with those who don't believe lds theology....but its no sillier or funnier then most other peoples..

Old 05-21-2011, 08:02 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,406,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
Well about 12 years before I joined the lds church I found my 'book of mormon' in a house I was renting and started reading it to find the 'crazy parts'.I didn't find anything any crazier than what is contained within the bible,for that matter I found it less crazy than much of the old testament....your results may vary

I'm not familiar with your religious leanings,for an atheist to hold such views would be consistent....for a follower of another christian group I find the view a bit odd.Many people find the idea of God talking to a poor farmboy in newyork to be funny and stupid....and yet have no problem with concepts like 'virgin birth',God chooses a poor teenage girl to bear his child,the child growing up/healing the sick/raising the dead/dying and resurrecting and flying off to heaven.etc etc.I have no issue with those who don't believe lds theology....but its no sillier or funnier then most other peoples..
Bobbb, I generally agree with you. The Book of Mormon is not any crazier than the other literature you mentioned. You're on the right track about me, although 'atheist' would be a little strong. I would really like to know one thing, however: have Mormon theologians figured out exactly where in Arkansas the Garden of Eden was located?

Old 05-21-2011, 08:40 PM

866 posts, read 1,559,837 times
Quote:
Bobbb, I generally agree with you. The Book of Mormon is not any crazier than the other literature you mentioned. You're on the right track about me, although 'atheist' would be a little strong. I would really like to know one thing, however: have Mormon theologians figured out exactly where in Arkansas the Garden of Eden was located?
It's in Jackson County, Missouri

Was the Garden of Eden in Missouri?

Old 05-21-2011, 08:45 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,647,422 times
What I like...They are very good at multilevel marketing What I don't like...No coffee or cola!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality