Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 06:01 PM

869 posts, read 971,835 times

Advertisements

Absolutely not. Nowhere are Christians told to harass or physically assault homosexuals or anyone else who chooses to live in an unchristian manner. The only obligation a Christian has is to tell others about Christ's Ransom sacrifice and its requirements and leave the decision of acceptance or rejection to each individual.

Anything beyond that which involves physical attacks and harassments is definitely not scripturally approved. In fact,physically attacking or harassing homosexuals can cause Christian to lose God's approval and place his salvation in jeapardy since it involves the hubris of going beyond what we are told to do.

1 Corinthians 4:6
"Do not go beyond what is written."

Old 05-21-2011, 09:03 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times

I'm glad we can agree on something.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:16 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
Absolutely not. Nowhere are Christians told to harass or physically assault homosexuals or anyone else who chooses to live in an unchristian manner. The only obligation a Christian has is to tell others about Christ's Ransom sacrifice and its requirements and leave the decision of acceptance or rejection to each individual.

Anything beyond that which involves physical attacks and harassments is definitely not scripturally approved. In fact,physically attacking or harassing homosexuals can cause Christian to lose God's approval and place his salvation in jeapardy since it involves the hubris of going beyond what we are told to do.

1 Corinthians 4:6
"Do not go beyond what is written."
Should homosexuals be verbally harassed and told they are spawns of Satan who live evil lives and are going straight to Hell? Because most of you seem fine what that one.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:17 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,379,343 times
You know what I think are the two worst things about bigoted Christians*?

Spoiler
Their face.

(*I'm not referring those Christians who actually follow Christ's teaching that the two greatest commandments that blitz all other commandments is to Love God and to Love one another)

Old 05-21-2011, 09:43 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,432,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Should homosexuals be verbally harassed and told they are spawns of Satan who live evil lives and are going straight to Hell? Because most of you seem fine what that one.
No,people should worry about their own relationship with God.Peoples personal relationships are none of my business or concern.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero

I am not fine with verbal harassment of anybody for whatever a person chooses to believe. But please consider that anyone who is behaving in any manner can claim verbal harassment whenever the person's behavior is explained in the light of the Bible.

Please also consider that Christians are specifically assigned to tell people what is required of a Christian in order for the person to have the necessary knowledge to gain eternal life.

Quote:
Matt 28:19
19“Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, 20teaching them to observe all that I commanded you;....”

In short, these are Christian duties that cannot be ignored for the sake of being perceived as verbal harassments. As for it being a Christian's business, unfortunately for those who are living in certain ways we are told that it is a Christian's business to inform others concerning God 's viewpoint in relation to such behaviors.

So the issue boils down to whether a Christian heeds the God-assigned duty or instead listens to the harassment complaints whenever he does.

When the Apostles were ordered to stop heeding Jesus's command to preach and teach by those who disagreed with their message and who felt harassed by it, the Apostles responded in the following way:

Quote:

Acts 4:19 But Peter and John replied, "Judge for yourselves whether it is right in God's sight to obey you rather than God.

Acts 5:29
Peter and the other apostles replied: "We must obey God rather than men!

BTW
Neither am I in agreement with shouting at people and calling them the spawn of the devil in the manner that you just described. However, there definitely is behavior in the Bible that did lead Jesus to call the persons involved children of Satan because they were doing Satan's will. But that would apply to heterosexuals as well whenever they choose to behave in a sinful unrepentant way. So I suppose that they too can claim verbal harassment.

Last edited by Radrook; 05-22-2011 at 04:03 AM..

Old 05-22-2011, 04:10 AM

Quote:
No,people should worry about their own relationship with God.Peoples personal relationships are none of my business or concern.
Loving neighbor as self demands that we show concern for other people's behavior because behavior can lead to perdition and we are supposed to be concerned about the eternal welfare of our fellow man and not just stand by smiling as he ruins himself. So yes, you do have a right to feel unconcern if that is your choice. But as a Christian you would have the duty to feel concern. Otherwise you miss the whole point of loving neighbor as self and become the clashing cymbal referred to by Paul.

Quote:
1cor 13:1 If I could speak all the languages of earth and of angels, but didn't love others, I would only be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:15 AM

33,524 posts, read 37,125,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
Loving neighbor as self demads that we show concern for other people's behavior because behavior can lead to perdition and we are supposed to be concerned about the eternal welfare of our fellow man and not just stand by smiling as he ruins himself.
You do not have the right to judge other peoples behavior particularly when that behavior causes no harm to you or society as a whole...I'm assuming that you are still on your constant rant against homosexuals here.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:19 AM

Quote:
I'm glad we can agree on something.
Me too! : ) Peace!

Old 05-22-2011, 05:22 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,228,825 times
Radrook
Quote:
Loving neighbor as self demands that we show concern for other people's behavior because behavior can lead to perdition and we are supposed to be concerned about the eternal welfare of our fellow man and not just stand by smiling as he ruins himself.
So would you consider picketing funerals of homosexual veterans with signs with provocative messages like "You're Going to Hell," or one that combined the U.S. Marine Corps motto, Semper Fi, with a slur against gay men:

a) harassing

b) assault

or

c) a sign of concern for your neighbour?

I mean Rev Phelps can't be accused of standing by smiling as the homosexual ruins himself, right?
Is that how a true Christian acts?

And if I'm not mistaken picketing funerals of gay veterans with provocative signs isn't even a crime in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality