Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 01:20 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 06:29 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
I

Explain. Details? Example? I can hardly wait! Prayer has been categorically refuted, many times over. But not a single unambiguous (I love that word; it kills all the hypocrisy so easily and quickly... look itup!) case of a successfully answered prayer, against literally endless case histories of failed prayers.
I think you are so anxious to argue with me that you have misunderstood what Im trying to to say. psss...... I am on your side this time.

As stated in the OP, an "answered prayer" cannot be disproven to have been heard and answered by "God" And so, as I said, " a theory that cant be disproved is not one worth having "

Please read my posts and take a little more time to understand them. You did this to me in another thread as well if im not mistaken.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 06-19-2011 at 06:39 PM..

Old 06-19-2011, 07:45 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Why "answered prayers" will never be convincing evidence

Actually quite simple, prayers are not answered. Anyone can 'wish' or 'pray' (no difference between the mental fantasies either exhibit) that it will be a nice sunny day tomorrow. But it has no bearing on what the weather happens to be tomorrow.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:20 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,542,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
In fact, on any rational scale of demonstrable proof, not one single prayer has been unambiguously answered, ever. I mean, incontrovertibly, absolutely, and without the option of pure chance providing the exact same results.

In fact, some detailed reproducible studies have absolutely proven that prayer versus taking appropriate actions, have lessened the good fortunes, health and outcomes for those who fervently believe in them so strongly.

Facts, m'boy, versus what you hope/wish/pray (all the same thing) will happen. Undeniable FACTS.

(PS: you're absolutely wrong, of course. As a loving, living, respectful and well-educated atheist, I have found true fulfillment absent Christ in my life. All it required was the thoughtful, intellectual removal of false hopes, false Godly icons, and of open denial of the facts in splendid evidence all around us. Not to mention the endless proofs that absolutely deny and refute any sort of invisible God myth. BTw, I was once an unquestioning Christian, but I matured and thought it through over and over, and searched for any evidence. None was forthcoming, nor ever will it be.)

As well, He just doesn't show it to any of us, ever. (which is understandable since He does NOT exist...) Rather, it's all wishful thinking, with a fervent blindered denial of all the unanswered prayers, and celebration of anything that can be wrongly interpreted as an answered prayer. Or denial where the reverse actually happens (you or someone you pray for gets sicker, or dies anyhow despite prayers, or your fortunes decline, instead of improving, and so on. Happens more than 50%, in fact. But you'll deny it, of course,; it's what devout Christians do!)

Explain. Details? Example? I can hardly wait! Prayer has been categorically refuted, many times over. But not a single unambiguous (I love that word; it kills all the hypocrisy so easily and quickly... look itup!) case of a successfully answered prayer, against literally endless case histories of failed prayers.
I have no doubts that you are a happy decent human being, but that only proves to me that there is good in this world. The source of good is not you. You are just a vessel to receive the good things that happen to you.

Yes, your good fortune has much to do with the choices that you made through common sense and the opportunities that came your way. I suppose however that you might see them as only happenstance. But never the less you were blessed enough to see them and take advantage of them and then progress in them to your benefit and of those around you.

For that I applaud you and I am glad that you were born with some good sense.

It has been said that we use only 10% of our brains, I do not know how exact that is but I tend to think that it is even less, because man without God is a dead soul. Alive as human spirits in body's of clay but dead to Gods greater Gifts. And so we go it alone without God and without the other 90% we need. We have made a mess of this world because we lack. Many do not even think they have a soul because it is dead if it be without redemption. But then how would you know of something that is dead? Only the Living Word who speaks to the spirit often times, but ignored, has the Power to resurrect that which is dead. The soul made alive has the capacity to become the grander being that we were meant to be.

To see everything according to your world view of things is very narrow minded and tends to close off the opportunities to see an even larger picture of the natural and spiritual world that you have yet to obtain to, unless of coarse you are to tell me that you know it all already and that you can prove that which is unprovable through the natural senses alone.

Love, happiness and righteousness are not of the 5 senses but provable, being evidenced by their results. To have spiritual thought is supernatural [beyond the senses]. We all have supernatural capacity. We just do not think of it in those terms. Spiritual things are generated from the spirit to understand the things that are beyond the senses. The touch of a woman and their companionship is a lovely thing, now isn't it? It provokes something in you that goes beyond the physical and so wonderful that even the poets can not grasp it! To hold a baby is a presentation of pure love to you that even the Angels can not understand. Oh, the wonder of life! From where did all this wonder come from.

It is therefore evident that spiritual things exist for you and me, but can not proved by any law of physics. So why can there not be other things that you or I cannot prove by natural laws. To say otherwise is to deny the wondrous capacity we have to explore the unknown depth of our spiritual make up by reason, intuition and faith. Why do we have a spiritual makeup and where did it come from? Before you were born you did not say to yourself, I will be. The flesh and blood of you mother gave birth to your flesh and blood but not the spirit. The spirit came from somewhere else. The body without a spirit is dead. So then where did the your inner being come from seeing that it is not of flesh and blood?

Now as to a miracle [only one of many] that happened to me, you can read it on post #15>Forum>Christianity> Do you believe miracles [such as healings described in the Bible] are for today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality