Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 07:05 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times

Advertisements

Just a thought. There have been 330 replies to the OP of this thread, which asks what non-LDS Christians think about The Book of Mormon -- not Mormons, not Mormonism, but The Book of Mormon. (Presumably, we're talking about the book and not the play. ) I just wonder how many people who have responded are (a) non-LDS Christians, and (b) have actually read the book. I know a lot of people have an opinion on the book, but I just wonder how long this thread would be if only the folks to whom the OP was addressed had actually responded.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:59 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Just a thought. There have been 330 replies to the OP of this thread, which asks what non-LDS Christians think about The Book of Mormon -- not Mormons, not Mormonism, but The Book of Mormon. (Presumably, we're talking about the book and not the play. ) I just wonder how many people who have responded are (a) non-LDS Christians, and (b) have actually read the book. I know a lot of people have an opinion on the book, but I just wonder how long this thread would be if only the folks to whom the OP was addressed had actually responded.
I suspect the thread would be quite short if only people who have read it replied. People seem to prefer to attack on hear say and ignore looking at what they they oppose.

I've actually read it. I can understand why Mormons would believe it to be true.

I am a doubter as to it's validity. But that does not mean I can prove it is in error.

As for it's message, I feel it is a great, but incomplete book. Like all books people place great love in, I would never defile it or deliberately demean it. It is sufficient for me to simply say I follow another book and have no need to elaborate further.

As for interest in it from a historical/literary view. I find it interesting at the similarities I find in it to Islamic and Native American beliefs.

I do not find anything in it that would cause me to avoid having Mormons as friends.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:04 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Oh I hate organized religion and participate from a distance at arms length. If your daughter went to a private school that made her feel bad or taught things you don't agree with why didnt you remove her? I quit parochial school I. 11th grade so don't tell me you had no choice. And I know buddhists that do t have to marry the same religion. Yes all religions by definition are cults. I live Mormons, they are helpful, loyal, and decent people (in California at least) I don't like the gang mentality that Exists in parts if Utah... Just like I dont like the christian gangs in Kentucky. The other thing is that everyone is gullible for believing Joseph smith.. But then again the only reason I believe in Jesus is indoctrination and brainwashing I grew up with.
Perhaps you have difficulty in reading comprehension.

It was a college-prep school, that was primarily attended by Baptists. She wanted to go to college, and it was the best school in the area for that. She was Valedictorian and went to college.

Unlike some people, I don't believe life is meant to be sterile and easy, I believe that setting and achieving goals and working toward them however one must is important, and do not believe that anyone should be willing to quit just because they have difficulty. What she learned in that school - not only in the educational realm, but from those self-professed Christians - has stood her in good stead throughout her life.

As for the Book of Mormon - even though I am not a Mormon, I went to spend a week with a Baptist 'friend' who had moved to Louisiana. While there, I found out that one of the reasons he invited me to stay with him was because he knew that I had read the Book of Mormon and knew something about the faith - and his minister was 'teaching' that week about the evils of Mormonism. By the end of the "class" I had taken it over, and was explaining its tenets to the congregation. I was very uncomfortable doing so, partly because I was only "as close as they could get" to a Mormon, and partly because I was brought in so that they could 'prove' their points, and I ended up proving otherwise. I didn't even have a Book of Mormon, or a Doctrine and Covenants - but the preacher did, so I used his.

The Book of Mormon is no more one of those 'evil' texts preached about (Deut. 4.2 - "Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish [ought] from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you" ) than some of these "New" translations that skew the ancient Aramaic and Hebrew to suit whomever was in power at the time, from King James all the way down to present day. Too many folk like to claim that their beliefs are the only ones that can carry your happy - um, face - to heaven and Jesus. To me, that's nothing but an unwholesome and pathetically desperate need to "prove" their own power and superiority. I would no more take up with them than carry a bucket of rattlesnakes, believing that some god or other will save me, or refuse to take a shot of epi for an allergic reaction. Too much interpretation, too much dogma, and too many one-upmanship power plays to be from any true God.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:34 PM

2,468 posts, read 3,131,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Ironic.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:14 PM

267 posts, read 175,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I posted this in the thread about the Bible being the Word of God, because it got me thinking about other books that are supposedly the Word of God.

I'm not Mormon, but I was wondering what Non-Mormon Christians think about the Book of Mormon (Another Testament of Jesus Christ).

Do you think that Smith was crazy and made it all up?

Was it not the word of God?

If it was, do you believe everything it says, even if you're not a Mormon?

Do you not believe in it because it was written (translated) in the early 1800's and not 2000 years ago or older?

Do you really think Jesus appeared in the America's after his death?

If you don't believe the book, why not?

Do you think now a days, like in Smith's case, God can tell someone to find something buried or directly talk to them to write down new stories for people to read and follow?

I'm just curious to see what people's thoughts are.
People tend to be legalistic, regarding the Bible. It doesn't matter to me, since ALL OF IT is about Faith. The Bible to me is just a Guideline, of how people SHOULD behave. The Goden rule and those ten commandments.
I was raised Catholic, almost molested by a priest, and back then we had Bingo party's. The priest smoked a big stoggie, and ran the party. Then they are allowed to drink, some turn out to be alcoholic's. All that wine in the Chalice.
Not trying to bash the Catholic religion, but it is the one, I am very familiar with. I like to 'go by', how the people act, not what is in the Bible.

The LDS people believe and do a LOT OF SERVICE work; they do for others. (first ones, at Katrina giving out water and food, they have food storage buildings and are prepared) No drugs, drinking, smoking. (I know there are jack mormons) But these people are kind, giving, nurturing. They help everyone. All the issues about Smith, BOM, etc. Means nothing to me, as do the priests, mean nothing to me.
I like the LDS lifestyle. It is Wholesome. Don't confuse the LDS, with those fundementalists Lds.
Think of Donny and Marie Osmond, they are the regular LDS people.
Glayds Knight. Harry Reid. Many more. google famous Lds people, and you will be surprised. Even our money has the signature of a female LDS lady. Named ,PRIEST.
Why are you interested in these questions? Go to lds.org, and read for yourself.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Perhaps you have difficulty in reading comprehension.

It was a college-prep school, that was primarily attended by Baptists. She wanted to go to college, and it was the best school in the area for that. She was Valedictorian and went to college.

Unlike some people, I don't believe life is meant to be sterile and easy, I believe that setting and achieving goals and working toward them however one must is important, and do not believe that anyone should be willing to quit just because they have difficulty. What she learned in that school - not only in the educational realm, but from those self-professed Christians - has stood her in good stead throughout her life.

As for the Book of Mormon - even though I am not a Mormon, I went to spend a week with a Baptist 'friend' who had moved to Louisiana. While there, I found out that one of the reasons he invited me to stay with him was because he knew that I had read the Book of Mormon and knew something about the faith - and his minister was 'teaching' that week about the evils of Mormonism. By the end of the "class" I had taken it over, and was explaining its tenets to the congregation. I was very uncomfortable doing so, partly because I was only "as close as they could get" to a Mormon, and partly because I was brought in so that they could 'prove' their points, and I ended up proving otherwise. I didn't even have a Book of Mormon, or a Doctrine and Covenants - but the preacher did, so I used his.

The Book of Mormon is no more one of those 'evil' texts preached about (Deut. 4.2 - "Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish [ought] from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you" ) than some of these "New" translations that skew the ancient Aramaic and Hebrew to suit whomever was in power at the time, from King James all the way down to present day. Too many folk like to claim that their beliefs are the only ones that can carry your happy - um, face - to heaven and Jesus. To me, that's nothing but an unwholesome and pathetically desperate need to "prove" their own power and superiority. I would no more take up with them than carry a bucket of rattlesnakes, believing that some god or other will save me, or refuse to take a shot of epi for an allergic reaction. Too much interpretation, too much dogma, and too many one-upmanship power plays to be from any true God.
Yes, I cannot stand when any religion has a bashing party regarding another religion. Here is # 11 of one of the 13 articles of faith in the lds quad.
We claim the "privilege of wor­
shiping Almighty God according
to the 'dictates of our own 'con­
science, and allow all men the same
privilege, let them ^worship how,
where, or what they may.

I went to a Gospel study group in the LDS church, and the teacher asked, Can anyone else, if they live a Godly life, still go to heaven, even if they don't belong to the LDS religion? The big answer was. YES.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-mo View Post
I am a ex-mormon and what led me to the truth was looking into the real history of the mormon religion. Joseph smith married 33 woman, 11 of whom were already married. This is called polyandry (one woman married to two men). Smith was the ultimate con-man who stole the idea for the book of mormon from a book called view of the Hebrews which was printed 5 years before the BOM came out and with his knowledge of the bible combined the two.....and there you have the Book of mormon. Mormons believe that the American Indians are a lost tribe from Israel and DNA evidence has proven this is not true. American Indians have no Hebrew connection whatsoever. They are of east asian descent. Check out "DNA vs. the Book of Mormon". Another great one is "the Bible vs. the Book of Mormon". I now follow and Bible and am unshackled from the false teachings of Mormonism. There is also no archeological evidence supporting the Book of Mormon at all. Glad to be out but am very concerned about the good well meaning people that are still trapped in the lies being taught to them in Mormonism. Joseph Smith also made many prophecies that never came true. If Mormons would check out what it says in deuteronomy about testing a false prophet their eyes will be opened. They should also check out Shawn Mccraney's show called Heart of the Matter on HOTM.tv. He teaches Mormons the real history of the church. Not the white washed version we are given. They should also check out UTLM.org. Which stands for Utah Lighthouse Ministries. Where they will get real facts on the religion which is backed up by LDS documents. Hope this helps.
I am sure you are correct, but I don't care about all the REAL FACTS. I care about, how people live, and what they do with their lives. I don't care if people believe in Joe, I like that they try to live a wholesome life, and they are a very giving, and loving group. You are trying TOO HARD, to make it all 'make sense' to you. Look at the bigger picture, not the details. In my opinion, but I am sure I am much older then you are.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:43 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Guys, this thread is about 4 years old and is so far off topic there is no use in moderating ..There are many recent Mormon threads here if anyone wants to add to them..But please read the op's before posting This one is going back to the graveyard..

C L O S E D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality