Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 04:15 AM

1,691 posts, read 3,850,986 times

Advertisements

Still all religions have believers of various degrees of mental stability. Meaning you will find all types of people in each and every religion no matter what that religion teaches. What I awkwardly getting at is personality traits can't really be control via religious beliefs or doctrine. You will find the most pious of people and the most treasonous/treacherous of people within each and every religion. Face it as my mom always says "church is for sinners".
As to why you can talk about religion X and not Y or visa versa.... that honestly depends on who you talking to and what they believe. With me personally since I believe evil doers lurk in all religions... I can believe you can find a nasty Taoist. Since many many many wars have started over or because of religious beliefs and differences and the over whelming desire/belief that "their" religion is the only one true religion it isn't hard to see the apple don't fall too far from the tree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 04:27 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Odd how one of the tenets of Christianity is "thou shalt not kill" if the ten commandments are a wide spread belief, yet many Christian kill other people

Hope theres a special place in hell for this murdering coward..

Old 07-24-2011, 04:51 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Odd how one of the tenets of Christianity is "thou shalt not kill" if the ten commandments are a wide spread belief, yet many Christian kill other people
I think you underestimate the complexity of human behaviour. I will tell you again that every man has a fallen nature but do you believe me?

Interesting how people believe in the existence of hell wholeheartedly when they are hoping someone else goes there.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:55 AM

Quote:
It's good there's no such thing as militant atheists or militant anti-religious
Just like there's no such thing as pedophile priests, right?

Old 07-24-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
I think you underestimate the complexity of human behaviour. I will tell you again that every man has a fallen nature but do you believe me?

Interesting how people believe in the existence of hell wholeheartedly when they are hoping someone else goes there.
"Thou shalt not kill" doesnt strike me as a rule that is too complex to understand if you are a devout Christian
As for hell?i always thought there was a heaven and a hell,good people go to one,bad people go to the other
Sounds like you are saying hell is just a sometimes concept for convenience
Religiously speaking where do you think this mass murderer is going to end up?

Old 07-24-2011, 08:37 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Just like there's no such thing as pedophile priests, right?
Okay maybe I was being too sarcastic to that poster.

I don't deny there are sex-abusing priests and bishops. I don't think I deny there are "militant Catholics" or violent Christians either. However before Christianity existed there was plenty of rape and murder. Nevada is one of the more irreligious states in the US and its rape/murder rate is not exactly low. France's homicide rate is quite low, but apparently a bit higher than that of three of the most religious European nations. (Cyprus, Greece, Poland. Malta is lower in most years too. Although the lowest European nations are similarly secular to France) Estonia is highly atheistic and I think in many/most years it's more murderous than the US. Outside the South the US's more religious states aren't even particularly murderous.

International Human Development Indicators - UNDP
List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-24-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
"Thou shalt not kill" doesnt strike me as a rule that is too complex to understand if you are a devout Christian
As for hell?i always thought there was a heaven and a hell,good people go to one,bad people go to the other
Sounds like you are saying hell is just a sometimes concept for convenience
Religiously speaking where do you think this mass murderer is going to end up?
Hell, unless he begs God for forgiveness.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:52 AM

If he begs forgiveness Lets hope God makes an exception in this case and ignores the idiot.
And lets hope the Norwegians reinstate the death penalty for this nutter.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:21 PM

591 posts, read 641,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
You are going to tell muslims what they should believe to be "real true muslims"? I don't think you would accept that the other way around. Far-right Christians are constantly doing these kinds of murderous tantrums, yet they will accept no responsibility for the fruits of their propaganda. Of course, they are famous for their radical hypocrisy and defense of any evil that shares their name, so their denial is understandable.

I have NEVER denied God and his people haven't acted out ruthlessly. God has gone to the extreme to rid of evil. He has killed off most of mankind to rid of evil. This time around it's a sharp tongue that defeats Satan influence. Instead of God killing them off like before, he wants to have a word with them. Words spoken sharply, or else all of mankind will be killed off.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:37 PM

591 posts, read 641,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
You are going to tell muslims what they should believe to be "real true muslims"? I don't think you would accept that the other way around. Far-right Christians are constantly doing these kinds of murderous tantrums, yet they will accept no responsibility for the fruits of their propaganda. Of course, they are famous for their radical hypocrisy and defense of any evil that shares their name, so their denial is understandable.

I don't deny that the OT might inspire ruthlessness either. Way back when, Islam-like nations rose up to oppress, murder, lie about God, and steer people away from the truth about his love for mankind, and terrorise Jews for simply loving the one true God. And God and his people were pushed into wiping out the incredibly threatening evil, oppressive nations. That is one of the reasons why Jesus was sent here. To provide us weapons in the war of words. To save mankind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality