Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 09:53 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,957,328 times

Advertisements

I think religious arguments are only between those of faiths that proselytize and everyone else. AFAIK, non-proselytizing faiths seem to not clash with each other. For example, Buddhism and Shinto seem get along just fine is Japan. As I have mentioned before, North American Indians fought about a lot of things, but religion was never one of them. But when you get a faith that essentially says, "we're right, your'e wrong and you must get with our way," well, that's a fight waiting to happen isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 10:07 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,918 times
Sure, it's all fine and nice.

Until someone decides that their particular religion means they should do everything they should to gut the biology curriculum at the local high school. Or statewide. Or nationwide.

Until someone decides that their particular religion means they should work to inhibit stem-cell research. Or vaccinations.

Until someone decides that their particular religion means they should plant a bomb at the Olympics. Or at a clinic. Or at a gay bar.

Until someone decides that their particular religion means they should fly planes into a building.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:09 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,317,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
As an LDS Christian, I couldn't agree more. I don't care if people don't believe what I believe. I just don't appreciate it when they misrepresent and/or ridicule my beliefs. It would never even occur to me to ridicule someone who doesn't believe as I do (or who doesn't believe in God at all), nor am I interested in proselytizing. I seriously just wish we could all be a little more civil to one another.
Amen!

Old 08-29-2011, 01:50 PM

118 posts, read 111,283 times
Short answer: It is the most ancient and volatile topic that exists. the concept of a god and one of no god will constantly be butting heads. Many will classify religion as ancient or out of date, but if this were true, there would not be scores of forums such as this in order to state your piece Theism vs Atheism or whatever other view is as alive as ever. People like to present views as if they hit a gold mine and they are the first to figure out an air tight argument... but that very argument was probably presented by another person 1000 years ago. It's just recycled logic in a new skin.

That being said, I don't like "argue." Discussions about this should be done civily and respectfully. Unfortunately, I find many resort to name calling and labels from the start, and I don't think an internet forum is the best place to truly get one's point across.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:13 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
Quote:
So how many people do you think that you've "brought to Jesus Christ" (for lack of a better phrase) by telling them that they're going to Hell if they don't believe the way you do? (I'm not talking about just on City-Data, but in real life, too.)
I had an argument with one of my nieces a few days ago and she is telling me I am going to hell because I don't believe in what she believes in. Come on, hell is a mythical place religious leaders invent to keep their sheeple flock in line.
Why do these people feel they have to always push their religion on me, when they don't want to hear what I believe? I don't care what someone believes, just don't push it on me. I am fine the way I am.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:54 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Why argue about religion?

Because a moral code (based on the wishes of an unseen deity) has proven itself to be destructive, murderous, and oppressive to those that do not conform.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:34 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Why argue about religion?

Because a moral code (based on the wishes of an unseen deity) has proven itself to be destructive, murderous, and oppressive to those that do not conform.
So would you suggest that we'd be better off with absolutely no moral codes or just with one you approve of?

Old 08-29-2011, 09:08 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
So would you suggest that we'd be better off with absolutely no moral codes or just with one you approve of?
Everyone has a moral code, but they are not all the same...In my opinion the worst and most destructive are those derived from some religions.

"When the churches literally ruled society, the human drama encompassed: (a) slavery; (b) the cruel subjection of women;(c)the most savage forms of legal punishment; (d) the absurd belief that kings ruled by divine right; (e) the daily imposition of physical abuse; (f) cold heartlessness for the sufferings of the poor; as well as (g) assorted pogroms ('ethnic cleansing' wars) between rival religions, capital punishment for literally hundreds of offenses, and countless other daily imposed moral outrages. . . . It was the free-thinking, challenging work by people of conscience, who almost invariably had to defy the religious and political status quo of their times, that brought us out of such darkness."
Steve Allen

Old 08-29-2011, 10:06 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Amen to the preceding post. The main problem as I see it is that when one becomes convinced that he is tuned in to the True Religion, any means of enforcing its implementation in the society are justified. Religion is by nature undemocratic and dissent is considered heresy.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:10 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,826 times
Quote:
What's with the condescending attitude, Mr5150? What have I ever done to you except disagree with your theology?
To some people, there can hardly be a worse sin imaginable. They confuse god's opinion with their own - no wonder they react so strongly to disagreement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality