Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 10:19 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,924,187 times

Advertisements

I was raised in a traditional religion, but outgrew it and now consider myself strictly "spiritual." What that means to me is that I believe in a power greater than myself . . .not sure what that is, but it is not organized religion . . . still, I care very much about life and think seriously about a lot of things . . . which brings me to this question:

If you consider yourself a religious person or even a spiritual person AND you believe plastic surgery is A-Ok . . . how do you personally reconcile those two ideas . . .

I would not get beauty treatments such as Botox or other fillers because I feel it is dangerous to put foreign substances in your body.

I would not have a face lift because I feel it is "wrong" to mess with what "God" or "god" or "The Universe" or "whatever" has given me . . . I don't think it is "my place" to slice and dice my body in an attempt to appear more youthful (and I don't think it does that anyway, but my main objection is the violence of cutting into the body - a "creation" that was somehow "given" to me . . . I guess I must believe in the idea that the "body is a temple" . . .

How is it possible to be deeply religious or spiritual and think it is ok to slice and dice one's body in the name of vanity (sorry it took me so long to get to the actual question . . .I actually have many reasons why I don't think vanity plastic surgery is ok - and what I have written here is just one of the reasons . . .)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 12:20 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,188 times
Plastic surgery can repair deformities and disfigurements, FYI. It has legitimate applications.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:22 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
So you dont wear jewelry,make-up,cut your hair, get a perm,dye your hair, cut your findgernails or toenails, even think about a tatoo, would not remove a big ugly batch of varicose veins, a wart , a mole ?
Some of these are in the name of convenience,some are temproary but many are still in the name of vanity.
And some just cost a whole hellova a lot more than others (my objection

Old 08-31-2011, 04:12 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
I was thinking that a Rabbinical view might be that it was ok to do it to correct a malformed nose or a damaged ear or mouth but it would not be permissible for purposes of vanity.

That made me wonder whether it would be valid to do it on a person born with a correctable deformity. Wasn't that what God wanted? Again, we run up against this problem of evil idea.

That people are born deformed makes sense only if it's nothing to so with a god and of course is ok to correct, if we can.

As to mucking about with our bodies for decorative purposes. I'll tell you frankly Friends, I hate it. I can live with earrings so long as they aren't too cheezy but I detest tatoos and body piercings. But then others just love 'em.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:15 PM

Not one religious person who is in support of plastic surgery (and there are lots of them, according to the numbers) has stepped up to explain why they feel it is ok to alter God's work . . .

Old 08-31-2011, 05:23 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,073,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Not one religious person who is in support of plastic surgery (and there are lots of them, according to the numbers) has stepped up to explain why they feel it is ok to alter God's work . . .
I do not support it if it is for vanity.

I do support it if it is needed to bring a person's well being mental or physical to a level on par with the average of the person's age and gender.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I do not support it if it is for vanity.

I do support it if it is needed to bring a person's well being mental or physical to a level on par with the average of the person's age and gender.
Are you a religious person? If so, how does altering one's looks, surgically dovetail with your religious beliefs? How do you support your opinion?

Old 08-31-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Are you a religious person? If so, how does altering one's looks, surgically dovetail with your religious beliefs? How do you support your opinion?
I am Muslim. In my belief any deliberate altering of the body is defiling what Allaah(swt) has given us. Unless the altering is done to correct a condition that is harmful to the person's mental or physical well being.

For reasons of vanity, it is forbidden

There is mixed opinion among Islamic scholars as to if nose and/or ear piercings are permitted. I tend to go along many scholars of the Hanafi Madhab and agree they are permitted if done it such a manner the piercing itself is not visible.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I am Muslim. In my belief any deliberate altering of the body is defiling what Allaah(swt) has given us. Unless the altering is done to correct a condition that is harmful to the person's mental or physical well being.

For reasons of vanity, it is forbidden

There is mixed opinion among Islamic scholars as to if nose and/or ear piercings are permitted. I tend to go along many scholars of the Hanafi Madhab and agree they are permitted if done it such a manner the piercing itself is not visible.
Is this referred to in your holy books (non-altering of the body)?
Thank you.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Is this referred to in your holy books (non-altering of the body)?
Thank you.
Indirectly in the Qur'an a little more specific in the Ahadith. Islam has different levels of allowed and not allowed. Everything allowed is Halal But in Halal you have levels

Fiqh---Mandatory required to do

Sunnah--Encourged to do but not an obligation

Halal--permitted

Makroof--discourged, but not sinful

Haram is absolutly forbidden.

I will try to post the specific ayyats and Ahadith. It may be tomorrow. We are fixing to go out the door to go to the Fargo VA for a medical appointment early in the morning. Long drive so we are leaving this evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality