Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 10:16 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,009,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
kawg! Oh, I'm so sad you listen to him...LOL. J/K.
I really don't care to watch him, watching him completely changes the "tone" of his messages . But, like I said, I SOMETIMES like to listen to him on the radio. Every now and then he has a good message.

Believe it or not...I actually prefer to listen to things directed to teens, like Acquire the Fire and some of the other sermons and such that are directed to the young people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 07:54 PM

559 posts, read 1,324,019 times
Im Catholic and proud of it!

Last edited by Isaysos; 08-20-2007 at 08:36 PM..

Old 08-21-2007, 01:16 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
My parents and I met him and his wife at a Coney Island here in Troy last year. He seemed nice enough...I don't watch him really but I think my Dad does sometimes...
Coney Island in Michigan?!? No the only real one is in good old Brooklyn, NY...yours must be a fake.

Oh and I'm approximately 75% Catholic and 25% Universalist.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:45 AM

320 posts, read 296,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I have read an posted on many of the threads in the religion forum. Lately, I've become very curious about some things.
Most of the posters say they are christian, but which believers bloc do they belong? I would guess that most posters are Southern Baptist, judging from their posts.
I was wondering if anyone would care to elaborate about themselves...are you a Catholic, Lutheran, Southern Baptist, Methodist, Mormon, Protestant?
Another curiousity...Are there any on these religion forums who would care to comment on evangelists, such as Falwell, Robertson, Joyce Meyer, Oral Roberts, Jakes, the fat guy in Texas, I think his name is Agee(?), then that crazy motor-mouth blonde (don't know her name) that has a regular contortion routine as she preaches (but she is a good actress).
On TBN, who is that weird, chunky blonde with the heavy eye make-up, and bizarre hair style?
Maybe the Christians don't watch these programs. Do you believe what they preach?

My family avoids church because religion is sinful, in our opinion. We don't believe in organized rituals, rules, or whatever else. The only thing we believe is that Jesus is the Son of God. We feel no need to convert the world or make some loud, annoying declaration of our love for Christ.

I don't know, would that make me non-denominational?

Old 08-26-2007, 04:32 PM

692 posts, read 1,732,238 times
I attend a non- denominational church, From the Heart Church Ministires. http://www.nslfcu.org/pages/page.asp?page_id=14763http://www.nslfcu.org/pages/page.asp?page_id=17062 (broken link)

I don't watch a lot of TBN. I can't remember the last time I watched the network.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:33 PM

417 posts, read 1,282,294 times
I'm Roman Catholic as of about 25 years ago.

Most of my life my friends have been Catholic and I felt that I was meant to be Catholic, too. So I took the classes and converted. I feel more at peace now than I ever have before.

As far as television evangelists...sorry, don't watch them. From what I can see, most of them are too much of a theatrical performance for my tastes.

Occasionally I will take in a televised mass and find them solemn and reverent.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:34 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,423,626 times
I was born & raised as a Lutheran - but rarely, if ever attended church & certainly was not raised in a religious or spiritual home environment.

I converted & became "born again" at the age of 18 & was part of a small store-front non-denominational, born-again, saved, speaking in tongues, filled with the holy ghost church - attending church 3 - 4 times a week - OR ELSE... lol!

I did much searching after that - with different religions & also within myself & eventually I have found myself HERE.

I now attend a "Unity" Church (not at all to be confused with "Unitarian") - but do not believe in organized religion or religious affiliation - for myself.

If I lived near one, I feel the greatest affinity for the beliefs & practices of "The Church of Religious Science" also known as "The Science of Mind". If you've heard of or read, "The Secret", the gentleman in that book, Rev Michael Beckwith, is the spiritual leader of the church I attend when in Los Angeles (Welcome to the Agape International Spiritual Center).

Agape is a "trans-denominational" spiritual centre that does not require religious affiliation nor does it have specific "doctrine". People attend similar churches while maintaining their other religious affiliations (there are folks from a wide variety of religious backgrounds & beliefs that attend these services).

Back in my born-again days I listened to all the televangelists. Jimmy Swaggert was one of my favourites (although not now). I never quite bought into what's his name - the one who claims to heal everyone? Ahh, Benny Hinn. I adored Tammy Faye til the day she died - to me (unlike the rest of "them"), Tammy Faye was a wonderful example of the love of Jesus. I feel her heart was pure as gold. Who was it I saw when he was in town???? Ahh, yes, Kenneth Hagin - I was mortified. He said the word "******" one too many times for me (FYI - one time would have been too many). I left & never listened to a thing he had to say again. I used to like Kenneth Copeland & his wife. But, I'm not very close to the mainstream thoughts & ideologies of the religious majority - so it only stands to reason that I would no longer listen to them.

In the end, I say: whatever feeds your soul & enriches your life while developing a deeper relationship with God - is fine in my book.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:00 AM

204 posts, read 508,024 times
I am Baptist

Old 08-27-2007, 01:48 PM

329 posts, read 1,099,598 times
I guess I'm a non-denominational Christian, just because I was raised by an Athiest and absolutely have no idea what most of the different denominations really stand for

I pray at home (and in my head while out in public) LOL
I study the Bible and interpret it for myself. If I have questions, I ask people here on CD.... It's been interesting and very informative! Thanks everyone!
I teach my two children about God and Jesus and try my best to live a good Christian life.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:24 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,282,884 times
Vislvadis,
Tell us what religious affiliation you are with.?
I'm right along with jeff , I belong to the body of Christ, do I attend a church
Yes Sir/Yes Mam...but we're not caught up into denominations which is divisions
We love everyone that Christ loves,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality