Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2011, 11:36 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,762,126 times

Advertisements

I have often thought that it could be beneficial to the Biblical God (if of course he/she,it exists) to write another Bible for our current time period to explain his creation of the universe,Earth,human beings,life,etc in light of what we know now. If God is indeed omniscient, then God is aware of the debates on such issues that divide people and lead to confusion,doubt,etc. Could we have a new "Genesis" account that addresses the evolution debate? Surely as the Bible states God does not want anybody to go unsaved...some of us have tons of questions that have insufficient answers for us to believe including myself. Some sample questions...

1.Where was the following located on our Earth....The Garden of Eden, The Tomb where Christ was buried, the place where he was placed on a cross, the place where Noah's ark came to rest,etc.
2.Explanation of how all the living creatures on Noah's ark were able to be kept alive and inside of 1 boat like that.
3.How old is the universe? Are we close with our estimate of 14.5 billion actual years? How close God is the Big Bang Theory to how you did it?
4.What about people living to be hundreds of years old? How did that happen when all of recorded human history that we can see shows no humans living much past 30-45 years in Biblical times past. Today we see outer limits of 120 or so years but they are rare to say the least. If those years were NOT the years we understand as 365 days, then what exactly do they correspond to?
5.What in the heck is a devious and cunning creature like the serpent doing in paradise in Eden? You have to 2 very naive individuals you just created who no experience with deception and apparently are curious. Isn't that like putting your 5 year old against a card shark and anticipating that they are not going to be deceived in a card game?

That's just for starters...

Last edited by Texan2008; 09-13-2011 at 11:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 12:49 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,111,264 times
Quote:
I have often thought that it could be beneficial to the Biblical God (if of course he/she,it exists) to write another Bible for our current time period to explain his creation of the universe,Earth,human beings,life,etc in light of what we know now,
Normally what people do is use very liberal interpretation skills to make sense of the texts that already exist for the modern world. It's not uncommon to see copious amounts of numerology used for such feats. And it's not uncommon for people who believe in such things to claim that it's impossible for outsiders to understand.

It would be intresting if someone, claiming to be under the influence of Bible God, wrote a new bible for 2011 to say the least.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:53 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,199,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
I have often thought that it could be beneficial to the Biblical God (if of course he/she,it exists) to write another Bible for our current time period to explain his creation of the universe,Earth,human beings,life,etc in light of what we know now. If God is indeed omniscient, then God is aware of the debates on such issues that divide people and lead to confusion,doubt,etc. Could we have a new "Genesis" account that addresses the evolution debate? Surely as the Bible states God does not want anybody to go unsaved...some of us have tons of questions that have insufficient answers for us to believe including myself. Some sample questions...

1.Where was the following located on our Earth....The Garden of Eden, The Tomb where Christ was buried, the place where he was placed on a cross, the place where Noah's ark came to rest,etc.
2.Explanation of how all the living creatures on Noah's ark were able to be kept alive and inside of 1 boat like that.
3.How old is the universe? Are we close with our estimate of 14.5 billion actual years? How close God is the Big Bang Theory to how you did it?
4.What about people living to be hundreds of years old? How did that happen when all of recorded human history that we can see shows no humans living much past 30-45 years in Biblical times past. Today we see outer limits of 120 or so years but they are rare to say the least. If those years were NOT the years we understand as 365 days, then what exactly do they correspond to?
5.What in the heck is a devious and cunning creature like the serpent doing in paradise in Eden? You have to 2 very naive individuals you just created who no experience with deception and apparently are curious. Isn't that like putting your 5 year old against a card shark and anticipating that they are not going to be deceived in a card game?

That's just for starters...
These questions have already been answered by science and common sense. No new bible is needed for this, unless of course you want more BS answers.....Then I can just do that for you.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:37 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
The Bible, as we know it today, evolved over a long period of time. It's sort of amusing to think that someone would write a book, and POOF! It's suddenly accepted by one and all as the Bible, superseding any previous version.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:49 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,378,034 times
Here ya go

Old 09-14-2011, 06:50 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,211,073 times
[quote=Texan2008;20861674]I have often thought that it could be beneficial to the Biblical God (if of course he/she,it exists) to write another Bible for our current time period to explain .[/quote

It would be even more useful if 'he'' had done that the first time.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:24 AM

118 posts, read 111,320 times
I'd venture to guess that even with new information many would either not want to believe OR would still say it is not good enough. I have had non theists literally tell me that they do not WANT to believe in a god. Not that the evidence is insufficient, but that they simply do not want to believe.

We have a brain for a reason, and even in our world, not everything is spelled out for us. If I go to the pool, I will not see "Please do not take a dump in the pool" on the list of rules, but I can reasonably conclude that I should likely not engage in that action while at the pool. The Bible is not meant to be a step by step instruction manual for assembly. I think if you consider this, your question can be understood in a different context.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:52 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,693,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
I have often thought that it could be beneficial to the Biblical God (if of course he/she,it exists) to write another Bible for our current time period to explain his creation of the universe,Earth,human beings,life,etc in light of what we know now.
According to Maimonides (Rabbi Moses ben Maimon, otherwise known by the acronym Rambam, 1135-1204 C.E.), "The Written Torah (first 5 books of the Bible) and Oral Torah (teachings now contained in the Talmud and other writings) were given to Moses and there will be no other Torah (Source: Rambam's thirteen principles of faith).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality