Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 05:05 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I think the other cultures that started the colonies had some role too. The Quakers believed in religious freedom more the way we do, de Tocqueville notwithstanding. I think Pennsylvania had a pretty big role with the Founders.

Although if put in a more expansive way the colonies were mostly a Protestant enterprise, if we count Anglicans as Protestant for this purpose, and Protestant values did shape the founding. Even the deists among them were primarily of a Protestant cultural perspective, not "born and bred" deists.
I think the Puritan role in the forming and shaping of the United States might be a bit over-estimated. Especially when it comes to it's religious character. Puritanism represented a rather extreme, radical brand of Christianity; a return to simple, down home values and the need for personal, saving faith and one-on-one evangelism. A very personal brand of Christianity that threatened the power structure of the Anglican Church which was an inseparable part of the Crown and the English State. It inspired fiery religious independence in the US and probably did influence movements which emphasized 'personal faith' as opposed to the state-based faiths of Europe. In America, faith was personal and real, in Europe it was basically part and parcel of politics and culture.

The separate of Church and State probably encouraged sincere religious practice in the US, as religion was never seen as a tool the government had at it's disposal to keep the populace in line. I think that happened a bit late in Europe, and also America was never gripped so much by Enlightenment thinking as Europe was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 06:30 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
American Christianity seems to have exploded as a result of the Westward Expansion. There was fertile ground for European missionaries. The first attempt was made to "Save" the native people. but that pretty much failed and instead resulted in numerous church schools scattered throughout the South west. These missionaries soon found fertile blood in the arrival of the pioneers. Easy pickings after having spent very hard weeks or even months crossing from the Eastern seaboard to the plains and south west desert regions. However, it also opened up competition for the protestant denominations, who also began seeing the opportunity for "saving" souls. Churches soon sprang up with each town and rapidly became the focal point of the plains towns.

The Freedom of the slaves also resulted in a sudden explosion of new Christians however, a new form had come about. Gospel, hymns and song. The focus of life became the focus of freedom for the former slaves.

By the 1860s there were not enough churches to satisfy the population so an American phenomena came into being. The "Bible only" fundamentalists and evangelism. Church became the center of activity through out the mid west and Southern states. the explosion of the 1800s has not yet reached it's peak, however, this onslaught of fundamentalism is bringing or may bring an end to mainstream Christianity..

The end result will probably be a sudden decline of Christianity in the US

Old 10-31-2011, 08:51 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
The end result will probably be a sudden decline of Christianity in the US
Day dreaming or wishful thinking, Wood?

Old 10-31-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Day dreaming or wishful thinking, Wood?
Just observation of what I have often seen whenever any organization begins to divide.

Unless the 30,000 denominations that are currently in the US unite, they will implode upon each other.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:06 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Just observation of what I have often seen whenever any organization begins to divide.
Unless the 30,000 denominations that are currently in the US unite, they will implode upon each other.
I reject your choice of religious belief on the grounds of intimacy with its major dogma and dominant tenets as expressed within the world populations at large (you are an exception . . . not the norm). I equally reject most other religious dogma and man-made overlays for purposes of control. Belief in God should NOT form the basis for control of others . . . only oneself.

However, I can relate to your personal revelations about your experiences in Nam. Mine were similar. It explains a lot. I am saddened that it led you to Islam . . . but I understand how it could happen. Just being honest with you brother. Please do not take offense.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I reject your choice of religious belief on the grounds of intimacy with its major dogma and dominant tenets as expressed within the world populations at large (you are an exception . . . not the norm). I equally reject most other religious dogma and man-made overlays for purposes of control. Belief in God should NOT form the basis for control of others . . . only oneself.

However, I can relate to your personal revelations about your experiences in Nam. Mine were similar. It explains a lot. I am saddened that it led you to Islam . . . but I understand how it could happen. Just being honest with you brother. Please do not take offense.
No offense taken my Brother. I respect your right to differ and honestly do appreciate the input of your opinions . People need not agree in all matters in order to walk beside each other.

Actually it was other factors that led me to Islam, but in Islam I finally did find escape from my memories.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:53 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Why is Christianity so huge in the USA?

Self-imposed ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality