Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 11:28 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,811,723 times

Advertisements

Mitt - can we stop with the 'I'm a Mormon' tv commercials already. We get it - Mormons are just as screwed up as the rest of us.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:44 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Are you talking about the ones that have run for, oh, 25 years or so? You're just now noticing them?

Old 10-23-2011, 12:04 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Mitt - can we stop with the 'I'm a Mormon' tv commercials already. We get it - Mormons are just as screwed up as the rest of us.
I hate to tell you this, but if you want to see those commercials stopped, you'd better contact your local TV stations and complain. Mitt had nothing to do with them. Or maybe you could just go in the other room and grab a beer like you do when other commercials you don't like come on. What are commercials for anyway?

Old 10-23-2011, 12:08 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,516,932 times
They don't bother me

Old 10-23-2011, 12:12 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times
Yeah Mitt has nothing to do with those commercials. They come from the LDS not Mitt Romney. They were designed to combat the idea that Mormons are somehow weird or different.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:25 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Now that is just silly, they have been around for ever since i can remember. Mitt gets no credit for this. Problem contact your local News Stations and Cable Networking. They are responsible for what is on tv.

There is commericals for other Religions too, do they drive you crazy, or just the Mormon commercials.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:56 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post

Oh man, they have billboards all over the Phoenix metropolitan area with the smiling faces of blacks, latinos and asians and captions "I'm a Mormon".

Thank God, I don't watch that much TV.

But I don't think it's Mitt doing it-it's the LDS Church doing it. They're the ones with the deep pockets and closed financial books.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:04 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Unlike the various flavors of mainstream christianity, that at least pay some 'lip service' to keeping money and religion separate, the Mormon doctrine of "prosperity" actually encourages them to be very active in financial and business affairs (including each tithing 10% of their income, and having their own bank, Zions Bank).

So regardless whether they're directly "connected" or not, it is kind of a disturbing "coincidence" that the ambitious LDS church would choose to time their marketing & public relations attempts, just when some of their "own" are seeking positions of significant power in this country. And besides, what other religion engages in marketing & public relations anyway, especially this sophisticated, widespread, and hi-end?!

Old 10-23-2011, 01:33 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Unlike the various flavors of mainstream christianity, that at least pay some 'lip service' to keeping money and religion separate, the Mormon doctrine of "prosperity" actually encourages them to be very active in financial and business affairs (including each tithing 10% of their income, and having their own bank, Zions Bank).

So regardless whether they're directly "connected" or not, it is kind of a disturbing "coincidence" that the ambitious LDS church would choose to time their marketing & public relations attempts, just when some of their "own" are seeking positions of significant power in this country. And besides, what other religion engages in marketing & public relations anyway, especially this sophisticated, widespread, and hi-end?!

They've been running these commercials for 20+ years.

What other denomination? The Catholics for one.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:39 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Unless you actually have evidence to the contrary, there's been nothing quite like this before.

Latter-day Saints launch "I'm a Mormon" ad campaign

"Now the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is launching a major expansion of its "I'm a Mormon" advertising campaign, which, church officials say, seeks to educate the public and dispel myths about one of the fastest-growing religions in the world.

Beginning this week, a dozen U.S. cities in seven states will be targeted by the Salt Lake City-based church with ads on television, city buses and billboards inviting visitors to the church's website to learn about its beliefs and followers.

While two Republican presidential hopefuls, former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney and former Utah Governor Jon Huntsman, are Mormon, their White House aspirations are coincidental to the church's outreach effort, Hawkins said.

Hawkins said public service announcements by the church date to the 1970s, but the current campaign is taking it to a new level with modern technology."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality