Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2009, 08:45 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,117,125 times

Advertisements

This is most likely the link that shrutiary pasted from.
Concept of God in Hinduism

Maybe best to just go to that site and read it.

Cheers
Aeroman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,666 times
Default Is this disrespectful or sacriligeous?

I am a metal artist with a client who wants me to fabricate a metal gate that uses the symbol for Om in the design. I do not know if my clients are Hindu but they are spiritual and respectful people. My first question is whether there is an issue with this idea.

Next, the gate actually has two halves, closing in the middle. One design concept is to have an Om symbol on each half. Another is to have a big Om symbol that extends across both halves. I like this design however it means the symbol will be split down the middle. The crack will not be visible when the gate is closed, however when it is opened then it will be split. Is there an issue with either of these designs?

Thank you for your help,

Old 11-12-2009, 02:11 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vakil View Post
I am a metal artist with a client who wants me to fabricate a metal gate that uses the symbol for Om in the design. I do not know if my clients are Hindu but they are spiritual and respectful people. My first question is whether there is an issue with this idea.

Next, the gate actually has two halves, closing in the middle. One design concept is to have an Om symbol on each half. Another is to have a big Om symbol that extends across both halves. I like this design however it means the symbol will be split down the middle. The crack will not be visible when the gate is closed, however when it is opened then it will be split. Is there an issue with either of these designs?

Thank you for your help,
Actually, no. But it depends the most on what the customer thinks. Give them a call, I guess this would not make them mad if you check with them

Old 12-04-2009, 06:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,626 times
HI, peace be on you! I'm writing a thises on the topic of "status of women". I need some help about status of women in hinduism, basicly teachings of hinduism about women in hindu's holy scriptures. I'm writing my thises in URDU language. you can send me any refrences from your books. [email]Shauka1@yahoo.com[/email] Thank you

Old 03-08-2010, 02:59 AM

4 posts, read 14,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
In case anyone is curious to know more about the Sanatana Dharma (aka Hinduism), please post your questions here. I'll do my best to provide any answers.

A few key things to know:

-Hinduism has grown to become the world's third largest religion, after Christianity and Islam. There are about 837 million followers - 13% of the world's population. You probably know it as the dominant religion in India, Nepal, on the Indonesian island of Bali, and among the Tamils in Sri Lanka. There are about 2 million Hindus in the USA.

-Hinduism is generally regarded as the world's oldest organized religion.

-Most forms of Hinduism are henotheistic religions, recognizing a single deity, and view other Gods and Goddesses as manifestations or aspects of that supreme God.

-There is no basis for a discriminatory caste system in Hindu scripture. Caste was the division of the ancient Indic civilization based on four general occupational groupings, which included workers, business people, law enforcers and lawmakers and priests. Within these four groups were thousands of sub-groups. Over the millennia, what was to be a skills and aptitude based guild system was rigidified into a hereditary hierarchy. This distortion was a result of certain social practices and taboos gaining acceptance over time.

-Hindus generally do not proseletyze (seek to convert others).

-One must not be Indian to be a Hindu.

-We don't worhip cows.

-Not all Hindus are vegetarians (maybe 20-25% are).
Hi, I was wondering if you could answer a couple of questions about Hinduism funeral rituals

How important is a traditional Hindu funeral to Hindus in western culture?
How important is cremation? Does a crematorium satisfy the need?
What is the significance of this ritual? How is this maintained in the west?
Do many Hindus fly remains to India for a truly traditional funeral?
If you died outside of india, would you wish to be flown to India and have your ashes scattered on the Ganges?

I would love to know some of these things, and especially info from a hindu is great, lets you know what the real beliefs are.

Cat

Old 03-08-2010, 08:47 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catherinemoreno View Post
How important is a traditional Hindu funeral to Hindus in western culture?
Once a hindu, always a hindu. No culture should taint it. Sadly, it has tainted some hindus who moved Westward

Quote:
How important is cremation? Does a crematorium satisfy the need?
The ritual cremation is the best form of funeral for a departing hindu. A crematorium is just a burning building.

Quote:
What is the significance of this ritual? How is this maintained in the west?
I bet the environment loonies will be up in arms if a hindu get cremated in old school style. Too much pollution

Quote:
Do many Hindus fly remains to India for a truly traditional funeral?
I did. And I get called a hindu 98% of the time, for my most basic habits.

Quote:
If you died outside of india, would you wish to be flown to India and have your ashes scattered on the Ganges?
The hindus do. The men of the past generation, at least.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,483 times
I have a few questions. Can someone please answer these for me. First tell me about the caste system in India. How did it work? Why was it developed? What was a woman's role in society? How did the system fit with the teachings of Buddhism and Hinduism? What overall effect did the caste system have on society?

Old 03-17-2010, 09:31 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,250,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Namaste and Thanks for your kind words.

Yes, Hinduism is both a culture and a religion but the term Hinduism refers to a broad group of sects which are every bit as diverse as those you find in Christianity. Yes, one can convert and become a Hindu but since we do not normally proseletyze, some think it is not possible. In some sects (the Saivite for example) a formal conversion process takes place, leading to conversion through the namakarana samskara (the same sacrament in which a newborn receives his/her name). In other sects, one simply learns about and subscribes to the belief system and declares themselves a Hindu. Only the more conservative Smartas in India do not welcome conversions from non-Indians (ironic since reincarnartion does not follow ethnic lines).

While most claim that we are living in the Kali Yuga (the last stage of the world before the cycle starts all over again), I'm not so sure that we aren't still in the Dvapara Yuga.

In the Dvapara Yuga, science flourishes, people experience the spiritual in terms of subtle energies and rational choices, inventions are abundant, particularly those that dissolve the illusion of distance (between people and between things), and much power is in the hands of women. The end of this age (in the descending phase) is associated with the death of Krishna, and the events described in the Mahabharata. Since each age is 432,000 years, we could still be in the descent since Krishna's death may have been only 3000 years ago and its hard to say women have had their shot at power yet - but they are getting it in many countries already.

The Kali Yuga probably sounds much like the end of days as descibed in the scriptures of other religions. In our case, it is found in the Mahabharata. During this age, rulers will become unreasonable, levying taxes unfairly and no longer seeing it as their duty to promote spirituality or to protect their subjects. People will start migrating seeking countries where wheat and barley form the staple food source.

Avarice and wrath will be common, men will openly display animosity towards each other. Ignorance of Dharma (morale duty) will occur. Lust will be viewed as being socially acceptable. People will have thoughts of murder for no justification, etc.

People will be inclined to follow false sciences. Family murders will also occur. People will see those who are helpless as easy targets and remove everything from them.

Many other unwanted changes will occur. The right hand will deceive the left and the left the right. Men with false reputation of learning will teach the Truth and the old will betray the senselessness of the young, and the young will betray the caring of the old. Cowards will have the reputation of bravery and the brave will be enervated cowards. People will not trust a single person in the world, not even their immediate family. Even husband and wife will find contempt in each other.

It is believed that sin will increase exponentially, whilst virtue will fade and cease to flourish. People will take vows only to break them soon.

Alongside death and famine being everywhere, men will have lustful thoughts and so will women. People will without reason destroy trees and gardens. As previously mentioned, men will murder. There will be no respect for animals, and also meat eating will start. People will become addicted to intoxicating drinks. Men will find their jobs stressful and will go to retreats to escape their work.

Gurus will no longer be respected and their students will attempt to injure them. Their teachings will be insulted and followers of Kama will wrest control of the mind from all humans.

-As you can see, some of these aspects exist today while others are not yet so bad. While I find it somewhat interesting the understand the age in which we live, I'm more focused on living correctly and loving others during my own journey.

Om shanti.
hows it goin i dont mean to be a big know it all or anything but just noticed a couple of things you said and maybe you were thought different than i was but heres the thing,this age according to vedic scripture is age of kali and started 5000 years ago when Krishna dissapeared from the planet,He never died,and the Yugas are all different in lenght,all those things you mention are happening right now but because of Lord Chatanyas appearence 500 years ago their is a golden age within Kali yuga that is meant to last 10,000 years ,maybe it will peak somewhere in the middle then start declining im not too sure but their are a lot of great souls being born on this planet and i can tell that you are one of them

after this 10,000 years the age of kali will really kick in and near the end the darkness will be at its full peak-then Kalki will show up and rid the world of the demonic kings and start the satya yuga again

love the thread-- peace

Old 05-17-2010, 04:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,395 times
To whom it may Concern:
Hello, I am Drew, a Clinical Psychology graduate Student in California, US. As part of an assignment (and my personal interest), I am to contact people of various religions, and to query their experience of their faith and art so that we might better understand people of various faiths as we practice psychotherapy. I found your website and thought you may be able to assist me. Would you be available to help? I’ve included the questions that I am asking if you so desire to respond.* Thank you for your time in reading this request. I look forward to hearing your response.
Sincerely
Drew

* Questions for you to respond to:
What is your experience with art in your religion?

What are specific symbols that are meaningful to you?

Do you gravitate toward a certain medium of art?

How do you feel about Hindu architecture?
What has been your experience with bhakti?

Old 07-04-2010, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,349 times
what does it mean if you see a vision of Lord Ganesh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality