Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 01:16 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
I think whoever wrote about the study showing that prayer was harmful was getting confused with the studies that shows that not dealing with things yourself is harmful. I think its called "external control" and its an area of bright focus in current psychology... and since mental health awareness trends are going up, so have studies about how "prayer (doing nothing/misplaced understanding of how the world works)" can be harmful to your mental health as well as to the success of one's life.

If not that, then I suppose the person in question might have a link to the study, or be able to provide us with their review?... It could be that praying itself causes mental disturbance and ill-health I suppose... I mean, the most religious are the poor and they are also the most sick and most depressed.
Please tell me you have proof of this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 01:25 PM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Please tell me you have proof of this...
Well I am not sure about sick and depressed, although they are always a good target to sell religious products to, but the fact that the poor are a good target for religion is well known. So well known in fact that spokesmen for the Catholic Church in Ireland happily said to the media that they welcome the financial crisis in some ways because mass attendance and religion numbers tend to go up at such times.

They would want to start hoping they are right though because the crisis appears to be hitting them faster than it is bringing their numbers up. They are having to sell off assets and the priests have had to take a second large pay cut in the space of 12 months. It seems the business of selling lies to children is not paying as well as it used to.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:30 PM

33,542 posts, read 37,140,220 times
How logical are you? arm-chair logic - logic test

Old 11-16-2011, 03:04 PM

970 posts, read 1,700,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Religion and spirituality are alogical
You made no effort to actually prove that claim in the OP, you just asserted it. That's rather sloppy.

As I understand it, anything which makes a truth claim is subjected to logic - or rather to the scientific method. No exception. For some things, it may be hard to gather enough evidence, but that doesn't make them alogical. It just means we're probably going to be stuck to the null hypothesis.

Many mainstream religions present themselves as unfalsifiable, i.e. it's impossible to prove them wrong because God is invisible and undetectable by any means. If that's really true, of course, it means their hypothesis is useless. The undetectable is indistinguishable from the non-existent. If you go around believing in anything whose existence cannot be disproved, then you believe in anything you can imagine. God. Russell's teapot. The invisible pink unicorn.

(Though I rarely meet a full religious or spiritual belief that is truly unfalsifiable. They tend to make a lot of verifiable claims, whether on the power of the soul or on the origin of life. Even theists realize that a hypothesis that makes no testable prediction is a useless one.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre
How can a prayer be tested? Most religions have various beliefs about prayer as well. Some prayer is a form of worship and nothing is asked,
There is still the implied claim that an invisible supreme being hears you when you pray. Though if God never answers in any way, that's unfalsifiable, aka useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre
others believe that prayer is to give your problems to God, still some believe that prayers are answered in Gods time and way since God knows what is best for us. Many believe that prayer for gain is selfish.
Yes, religions have had thousands of years to construct explanations for why prayer does not work. If there was the slightest bit of divine intervention, there should still be a statistically significant effect. Once biases have been eliminated, one should be able to observe that, say, diseased people of faith are statistically more likely to recover. And faithful amputees should have a statistically significant chance of recovery - that is, a non-zero one. But it turns out God's mighty powers are indistinguishable from blind chance and skilled doctors.

(Admittedly He could also worsen an equal amount of prayees' conditions for ineffable reasons, thus making his actions statistically invisible. But that brings us back to a useless unfalsifiable claim.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raison d'etre
And I thought you could prove a negative? Lack of proof is not proof. evidence is evidence there is not aevidence or anti-evidence. You either have solid evidence or you don't. I challenge anyone to provide solid evidence free of opinion that proves all religion wrong. Heck, just prove Christianity is wrong? I believe in past lives, chakras and life force energy... Prove them wrong. Remember no opinion.
If any of these make verifiable truth claims, then it should be possible to test them. Indeed, were you rational, you would desire to do so yourself. As for those that present themselves as unfalsifiable, they are worthless.

Quote:
If I said Gravity didn't exist, the burden of proof would be on me, not you to prove it does.
Actually it would be on me. It's just so trivial to do so that you're more likely to face mockery.

Quote:
Let's revisit the room or box example: Let say this time both you and I are standing in an sealed empty room. I make the claim that cats do not exist and are merely an imaginary belief you have. Inside this room there is only us, not cat. So, the evidence would suggest that cats don't exist, right? According to logic they wouldn't exist. This is basically what atheist do, they say because there is no God standing in the room, there is no God. If there is no God, all religions and spiritual paths are bunk. Not all say this, just one example of atheist reasoning.
Good enough for everyday conversation. If I needed to be accurate, I would say there is no evidence for the existence of cats, the way I say it for gods and magic. I would freely admit that cats may exist. There just isn't any reason to believe in them any more than in any unfalsifiable belief imaginable. So if you do believe in them, you either have a good reason that you're unable or unwilling to share, or are irrational.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:43 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times
This seems to just be another attempt to try and make it seem religious beliefs should be immune to criticism.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:21 PM

939 posts, read 1,025,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
This seems to just be another attempt to try and make it seem religious beliefs should be immune to criticism.
Of course they should. The chief among the religious beliefs to be skeptical of is atheism.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:57 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
Atheism is a religion as bald is a hair color.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:07 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
how logical are you? arm-chair logic - logic test
100%

Old 11-16-2011, 07:00 PM

33,542 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
100%
You beat me....87%...

Old 11-16-2011, 07:18 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You beat me....87%...
87% here as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality