Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2011, 02:36 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,329,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You're still using bad logic...Religion is more than a tool. It is an ideology that convinces people to take certain actions, sometimes good and sometimes bad. Religion is at the root (cause) of these actions.

Guns, and keyboards ARE merely tools, after all you don't think your keyboard convinces you to make spelling errors do you?

People are not saying that religion does this or that, what they are saying is that religion is what convinced people to do this or that. I don't know why you cannot seem to understand the difference.
Then would you say that religion also convinces people do to good and amazing things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 04:46 PM

33,574 posts, read 37,191,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Then would you say that religion also convinces people do to good and amazing things?
I just did...You seem to miss a lot when you read other's posts.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
I just did...You seem to miss a lot when you read other's posts.
Which do you think it causes more good or bad?

Old 11-23-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Which do you think it causes more good or bad?
History confirms that religion has done a lot more bad than good...Today, I'm not sure if the good outweighs the bad yet....Even the good that religion does today usually has a catch in it...Missionaries today are doing almost the same thing in Africa that they did in America when they first arrived...The price they pay for converting the heathen is food and medical care, but at the same time they dicourage the use of condoms, which increases the spread of aids, and gives them more people to convert.

Religion and Conflict - Luc Reychler

Old 11-23-2011, 05:53 PM

If we went by history and not current times, science would be right alongside religion in the good no outweighing the bad. How is it religion is the only category that we go off it's complete history, everyrthing else is based on yearly, five year or ten year data.

Would you say religion has gotten better, remained the same or worsened since say the crusades(remember this is based on a good deed to bad deed scale) ?

In the last 5 years do you think more bad or good has been done under the flag of religion? Ten years?
Remember, this isn't just based on news stories, but every individual act.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:37 PM

Based on the silence I can reason that if you have to use a current frame of time, and look at the individual good and bad deeds done under the flag of religion/spiritual, the good does outweigh the bad. There are far more peaceful religious/spiritual people than violent ones.

Kinda makes a person rethink and redefine a few opinions about religion/spirituality.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:00 PM

Silence? You must know than my entire life does not hinge on this forum...I do have a lot of other things that take up my time.
I do agree with you that there are far more religious people that do no harm... It's just too bad that the ones that do harm cost so many peoples lives.

Old 11-24-2011, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Silence? You must know than my entire life does not hinge on this forum...I do have a lot of other things that take up my time.
I do agree with you that there are far more religious people that do no harm... It's just too bad that the ones that do harm cost so many peoples lives.
I apologize. That was rude of me. I didn't mean to direct it at you or anyone. Again I apologize.

It is a shame that what you say is true. It is also a shame that these people are allowed to speak so loudly through their hate, while a louder voice speaks so softly because it can't work out its differences. The only way to silence the louder voice of hate is to set aside these differences, unite and speak loud enough to drown out the voice of hate. Until we set aside our differences we only allow and feed the voice of hate to grow.

I want to thank you and the many others who have helped me realize it isn't enough to just do no harm. We must stand together against those that do harm.

Old 11-24-2011, 01:39 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,384,153 times
Quote:
If we went by history and not current times, science would be right alongside religion in the good no outweighing the bad.
Not really, because the same argument applies to science as sanspeur made about keyboards. Science is just a tool. A methodology to be exact. It does not do good OR bad in any way, nor does it motivate either action, nor the choices we make for what to do with the technology we produce using that methodology. Like a keyboard in sanspeurs argument, science is a tool that is values neutral.

As above keyboards are just a tool to help us communicate. They do nothing to tell us how or what to communicate. Similarly science is just a tool to help us produce technology and answer questions. It does nothing to tell us how or what to do with those answers or that technology.

Blaming science for any "bad" makes as much intellectual sense as blaming cookery for me beating you to death with a cake.

The same can NOT be said about religion which is FAR from values neutral. What is more this difference has been explained to you on more than a small number of threads so I am baffled as to why it remains so opaque to you.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Not really, because the same argument applies to science as sanspeur made about keyboards. Science is just a tool. A methodology to be exact. It does not do good OR bad in any way, nor does it motivate either action, nor the choices we make for what to do with the technology we produce using that methodology. Like a keyboard in sanspeurs argument, science is a tool that is values neutral.

As above keyboards are just a tool to help us communicate. They do nothing to tell us how or what to communicate. Similarly science is just a tool to help us produce technology and answer questions. It does nothing to tell us how or what to do with those answers or that technology.

Blaming science for any "bad" makes as much intellectual sense as blaming cookery for me beating you to death with a cake.

The same can NOT be said about religion which is FAR from values neutral. What is more this difference has been explained to you on more than a small number of threads so I am baffled as to why it remains so opaque to you.
What if I said, the pursuit of technological and scientific advances?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality