Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 01:16 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branfan View Post
i know this and i still want that relationship with God, and i still pray to him.
Ahh yes; the key thought in your post. Agreed: need makes for spiritual feelings.

Quote:
there was a woman who just died of cancer from the church i'm with. many people lifted up prayer to God for her constantly. she still died.
A recent admittedly unscientific poll at my wife's church showed that the last 10 cancer victims who were congregation members all died despite the fervent (and, no doubt, personal fear-filled..) prayers of their friends. I have no doubt that the previous ten or 50 before those folks also died. Prayer does not work, and in fact, has been shown to hinder proper medical treatment, and thus has certainly hastened death in some documented cases. Oh-ohh, huh?

Quote:
what were you praying for?

also, i believe God exist, and i can see evidence of him all around me.
NO, you choose to give Him credit, when there are obvious alternative answers that also might make far more sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It is essential for Christians to believe Christ . . . not just believe IN Him. God is only concerned with our spiritual development and maturity . . . nothing of this physical world.

Oh. I see. How convenient, Mystic! (PS: folks can't just divorce themselves from the more wack-job parts of Greater Christianity, can they?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 02:16 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
"You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it."
John 14:14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It is essential for Christians to believe Christ . . . not just believe IN Him. God is only concerned with our spiritual development and maturity . . . nothing of this physical world.
Belief in Jesus has only a little to do with our spiritual development - in the sense that following any great spiritual master can help with that. It's not the belief in Jesus, but the practice of what he taught, that helps one to develop.

And again, the quote from John proves that the Bible is not the perfect word of God. We've all prayed for something that wasn't done. Usually Christians say in response to that, "Oh, God answers all prayers, even if they're denied or answered in a way not asked for."

But the verse says, You may ask me for anything AND I WILL DO IT. It does NOT say, "I will answer the prayer in some way", it says "I will do it".

Among MANY other problems with the Bible. We don't know for sure what Jesus said exactly, and thus it can't be "God's perfect manual for life on this planet".

Old 11-27-2011, 02:35 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Belief in Jesus has only a little to do with our spiritual development - in the sense that following any great spiritual master can help with that. It's not the belief in Jesus, but the practice of what he taught, that helps one to develop.
Agreed . . . but believing Him IS the road to spiritual maturity (whether or not you even know of Him). It is His path (Way) that is the truth . . . "love God and each other." (They are one and the same).

Old 11-27-2011, 02:55 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Ahhh, now I see what you're saying.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:03 PM

664 posts, read 855,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post

NO, you choose to give Him credit, when there are obvious alternative answers that also might make far more sense.
you're right, choose to give God the credit!

Old 11-27-2011, 06:15 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times
Default Ah yes! You DID get it right!

Quote:
you're right, choose to give God the credit!
Remember that key verb: CHOOSE. Not necessarily a reflection of reality, but rather of one's personal needs and desires.

Go for it! I won't stop you, that's for sure, long as you don't call me one-them danged debil-atheists! Or I'll have-tah come on over and haunt your home for a while!

Old 11-27-2011, 06:25 PM

664 posts, read 855,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Remember that key verb: CHOOSE. Not necessarily a reflection of reality, but rather of one's personal needs and desires.

Go for it! I won't stop you, that's for sure, long as you don't call me one-them danged debil-atheists! Or I'll have-tah come on over and haunt your home for a while!

hey, i meant to put I choose. just wanted to clearify that. take care ok!

Old 11-27-2011, 10:02 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
That`s my point. If you know it`s up to God`s will, then why not just pray that way?
...and don't go taking up a hospital bed that could be used by we heathens that know it is science, not gods, curing our illness.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:04 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Agnostic atheists are atheistic because they do not hold a belief in the existence of any deity and agnostic because they claim that the existence of a deity is either unknowable in principle or currently unknown in fact.
Exactly!

Old 11-28-2011, 06:06 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,524 times
I asked god to make me an atheist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality