Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 06:17 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,090,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
And do so by taking a day off work since it won't be a national holiday. Leave that for secular events. You'll have to trade days with one of your non-Christian coworkers or burn a vacation day to stay at home and do the Christian thing. Seems fair enough.

I live in Florida. I always take the first day of Spring Training off from work to go to Baseball. Does that make it a national secular holiday? No, it just means I do schedule any work that day.

As for Hannukah, we are not Jewish but the kids are getting really excited already about our planned "Hanukkah Party" (which we are celebrating the first night only)
I guess I won't be available to work that night after Sunset either. Hmmmmm

Of course we celebrate CHristmas, starting on Christmas Eve, and continuing through Christmas Night. Although I am a Non-Theist I will be attending a Midnight Mass service so I won't be able to work then either....

Looks like I have a lot of it covered.......Some big time partying going on this month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 05:32 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,190,050 times
Here's Rev Billy:

What Would Jesus Buy? - Shopocalypse Song - YouTube

Stop shopping for Christmas!

Old 12-03-2011, 05:33 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,691,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
As for Hannukah, we are not Jewish but the kids are getting really excited already about our planned "Hanukkah Party" (which we are celebrating the first night only)
I guess I won't be available to work that night after Sunset either.
Why not? Unless Chanukah falls on a Shabbat, there are no such restrictions as Chanukah is a rabbinic, not a Biblical, festival.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:34 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,675,837 times
While it is quite easy to say that the star upon the top of the Christmas Tree represents the star that guided the wise men, that's really not what the star originally represented.
It has already been told, the true origins of the Christmas tree being of the pre-Christian, norther European people. The star goes right along with that.

Many cultures around the northern hemisphere have a Sacred Tree, and all of those include a star, the North Star.
Even in India, the symbolic tree has a star on top.

The Ash World Tree

Old 12-04-2011, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Why not? Unless Chanukah falls on a Shabbat, there are no such restrictions as Chanukah is a rabbinic, not a Biblical, festival.
Why not ? You mean why will I not be able to work that nght after sunset?
BECAUSE I will be busy at home celebrating the first day of Hanukkah with the kids. Does not matter if it is Biblical or Rabbinic because I am not jewish or Chrisitan, BUT I cannot be two places at once and since there is going to be some party going on at our house that night.....

Old 12-04-2011, 09:14 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,691,200 times
Quote:
Why not ? You mean why will I not be able to work that nght after sunset?
BECAUSE I will be busy at home celebrating the first day of Hanukkah with the kids.
There is no religious requirement to do so.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
There is no religious requirement to do so.
I know...there is no religious requirement to do anything !!!!

I know that there are not people in the world who actually follow religious requirements to do or not do things, but you won't find them living in this house. We are free from religious chains and bondage here.

We choose to throw this Hanukkah party, even though we are not Jewish. IT will be fun.

I choose to attend Midnight Mass on December 24. WHY? Because I like it. There is no religious rule saying to do it or not to do it....it just happens...... And it will happen regardless.....

Old 12-04-2011, 01:02 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
Who cares? If you want to celebrate Christmas as a Christian holiday - you are free to do so. If you choose to simply indulge in the fun of the season - you are free to do that as well.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Who cares? If you want to celebrate Christmas as a Christian holiday - you are free to do so. If you choose to simply indulge in the fun of the season - you are free to do that as well.

EXACTLY what I have been trying to say all along. it is YOUR Choice.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:09 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
Quote:
EXACTLY what I have been trying to say all along. it is YOUR Choice.
Yeah! It's not like the "Christmas police" are going to burst into your home and tear down your tree and decorations if you aren't celebrating it "correctly." I guess I don't understand all the concern about how others celebrate the holiday. Like I said - who cares?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality