Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Extra terrestial life exist?
I'm Positive it does 28 44.44%
It probably exists 27 42.86%
It may exist 5 7.94%
I doubt it exists 0 0%
Contradictory to everything I believe 1 1.59%
LOL at such a stupid question 2 3.17%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 05:20 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times

Advertisements

On a statistical basis, the sheer number of stars makes it almost certain that life had developed somewhere else though probably we will never know for certain. I think it likely that intelligent life could have evolved elsewhere. While it is not too likely that we will ever know that, either, we must consider that they may also be looking for us. Like us, they probably feel the need to move on from global to intergalactic conflict.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 06:16 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,196,723 times
To say we're the only life sustaining planet in the entire universe is extremely ignorant. And no, I don't believe in the media induced nonsense.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:21 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,712,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I voted 'It may exist'. Given the sheer size of the universe, I'd be surprised if it didn't. However, it's a harsh, chaotic and cruel universe, so who knows, we may be it.
My thinking is exactly the same, but I picked probably exists. Maybe that's evidence the last poll option is the correct one?

Old 12-05-2011, 09:03 AM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
On a statistical basis, the sheer number of stars makes it almost certain that life had developed somewhere else though probably we will never know for certain. I think it likely that intelligent life could have evolved elsewhere. While it is not too likely that we will ever know that, either, we must consider that they may also be looking for us. Like us, they probably feel the need to move on from global to intergalactic conflict.
I agree. Billions and billions of stars with planets makes it almost a certainty that there are some planets that can support life. Some of those DO support life. Some of those started developing life long before ours. Some of them are in earlier stages.

Therefore, I'm deducing that there are civilizations out there that are much advanced over ours. (Just think of the technological advances made in the last 200 years and then assume that another civilization has a 5000 year head start on us.) I also infer that the opposite is true. There are cave men on some other planets.

It may also be a stretch to assume that another civilization would have any interest in ours. They might just as easily look at us through their telescopes and laugh as our poor attempts at technology.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:31 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
I'm pretty sure extraterrestrial life exists. I just wonder whether we should be searching for it. We could be biting off more than we can chew!

Old 12-05-2011, 10:56 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Billions and billions of stars with planets makes it almost a certainty that there are some planets that can support life. Some of those DO support life.
Yes, and when Earthlings leave the home planet and populate the universe, we will almost certainly want to visit and, most likely, colonize those planets.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:56 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I'm pretty sure extraterrestrial life exists. I just wonder whether we should be searching for it. We could be biting off more than we can chew!
With current technology it is doubtful we could expect anything more than radio contact and that will be mostly one way conversations as we have yet to detect any artificial radio signals. Which probably means any civilization of radio is at least several hundred light years distance from us. If we send out a deliberate radio signal today, it will be hundreds of years before anybody receives it.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:54 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,212,799 times
"The universe is a very big place, bigger than we can imagine. So if it is just us, it seems like an awful waste of space."

Carl Sagan

Old 12-05-2011, 11:57 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
With current technology it is doubtful we could expect anything more than radio contact and that will be mostly one way conversations as we have yet to detect any artificial radio signals. Which probably means any civilization of radio is at least several hundred light years distance from us. If we send out a deliberate radio signal today, it will be hundreds of years before anybody receives it.
You raise a valid point. The greater the distance of an object, the farther back in time it is. If there's an alien civilization located say 500 light years from us and are just now detecting the Earth, they'd be detecting the Earth as it was 500 years ago, long before we had any means of transmitting radio signals.

Even by sending out radio signals from Earth at the present time, I suspect those signals could be incredibly weak the farther out they travel. We're pressing the limits of current technology just to pick up signals from distant probes we've sent out. We'd have to have extremely powerful transmitters to stand out from all the other noise and static of interstellar space.

Even if a highly intelligent civilization close enough to pick up some of the earliest transmissions from Earth, it's unlikey there's anything to be concerned about in terms of a threatening invasion, simply because of the distance required to travel through space. On the other hand, if such alien intelligent life has a technology that's highly advanced, they might have found a way to use quantum entanglement with their transportation, in effect, instant teleportation regardless of the distance. If that's the case, then all bets are off.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:02 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I am of the same opinion as Stephan Hawking. I don't think we should be advertizing our existence. If the laws of nature are truly universal, then surely the universe is full of "lions, tigers, and bears".

For anyone interested in this theme, I highly recommend "The Forge of God", and it's sequel "Anvil of Stars", by Greg Bear. It describes in detail what could happen if we come into contact with these "lions, tigers, and bears".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality