Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2016, 10:59 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,345,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
So then, by that logic, we'd call all those that express disdain for door-knocking Christians to be bigots? Because if all that is requried is disapproval....well, you've got that.

I find it interesting how your definitions and phrasing change depending on who you're referring to. If it's someone you agree with....nothing to be seen there. If not? Well now..they're bigots.
Apples and oranges, all the way. Or, chalk and cheese if you prefer.

Unless you are claiming there are groups of homosexuals going around knocking on random doors of private citizens with smiles and brochures, ready say "Hello! May I share with you what the homosexual lifestyle has done for me?"

Otherwise, you are only helping my argument (and making yours, as all of yours do, recede quietly into the background to the sound of crickets.

Good attempt at deflection, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 11:05 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,226,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Apples and oranges, all the way. Or, chalk and cheese if you prefer.
It's actually quite clearly the same thing. Christians get demonized for having an opinion, while you hold and express some very bigoted views about Christians.
Quote:
Unless you are claiming there are groups of homosexuals going around knocking on random doors of private citizens with smiles and brochures, ready say "Hello! May I share with you what the homosexual lifestyle has done for me?"
No. They're just marching down the street having "pride" parades, while the media (and the white house) tells us that we're bigoted if we don't fall lockstep in with them.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
It's actually quite clearly the same thing. Christians get demonized for having an opinion, while you hold and express some very bigoted views about Christians.
Again, divorced from reality. I have said, right here, numerous times, I consider the vast majority of Christians bright, kind, peaceful people. I will argue and debate with biblical literalists because A) I find it entertaining, and B) What the heck makes them tick?

Christians, like anyone else, can and should hold any opinions they wish. They are free to do so. If those opinions are clearly bigoted, they may well be considered a bigot.

If those opinions make them feel they have the right to treat some other group of citizens as second-class citizens, or prevent them from enjoying the same things they get to enjoy or engage in, it is absolutely right they be demonized. Same holds true for any group (and just to be clear I am NOT in any way suggesting that all Christians are bigots.)

Quote:
No. They're just marching down the street having "pride" parades, while the media (and the white house) tells us that we're bigoted if we don't fall lockstep in with them.
Someone is telling you you have to march in a gay pride parade? How many times has one of these parades come down your street, or taken place in your town? Did you survive the ordeal?

Look, fact is, espousing the view that a certain group of people who might be different from you is "immoral" or "evil" or is comprised of sinners, etc., or suggesting that certain groups don't deserve equal treatment or rights or access to the same freedoms and privileges (such as attempting to deny consenting adult couples from marrying each other based solely on their gender) is the very definition of discrimination and bigotry.

If you don't like being called out for being a bigot, don't be one. Pretty simple.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Again, divorced from reality. I have said, right here, numerous times, I consider the vast majority of Christians bright, kind, peaceful people. I will argue and debate with biblical literalists because A) I find it entertaining, and B) What the heck makes them tick?

Christians, like anyone else, can and should hold any opinions they wish. They are free to do so. If those opinions are clearly bigoted, they may well be considered a bigot.
And...there ya go. We're good, bright, nice people...unless we hold to an opinion you disagree with. Then, we're bigots.

You're a Christophobe. You've clearly demonstrated that.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:29 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,766,885 times
Answer the door while naked.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
And...there ya go. We're good, bright, nice people...unless we hold to an opinion you disagree with. Then, we're bigots.
Yes, a bigot is a person who endorses discrimination, or holds bigoted views. Some Christians do that, some non-Christians do that. A bigot is a bigot. Has nothing to do with what I feel about your opinion, or whether or not I disagree with it. One group calling out another as being lesser, or immoral, or not worthy of equal treatment is the very definition of bigotry and discrimination. This really has nothing to do with Christians or their beliefs in general, which are widely diverse on many points, just like any other group of people's.

Quote:
You're a Christophobe. You've clearly demonstrated that.
Where? How? Please provide some support for this claim. If I've "clearly demonstrated" this, you should have no problem backing your claim up, right?

But, sigh, we know how you operate.

This is your M.O.--make a baseless claim, get asked to provide some proof of said claim, you refuse (because you can't, because your initial claim is baseless), deflect and derail, make snide strafing runs, etc., etc. You are a broken record and perhaps should seek counseling. Sincerely. The lying alone is something you should realize is a problem for you. Why do you think God needs you to lie for him to bolster your wild claims about him? Is your faith so very shallow and weak as all that?

Old 07-15-2016, 12:50 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,061,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
I have never had a Girl Scout tell me that their sky daddy will punish me for all eternity if I don't buy what they are selling.
Then you haven't been approached during Cookie Selling Competition season!

Just kidding...

Kind of...

Old 07-15-2016, 12:52 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,061,033 times
Quote:
I've never met a Christian that said that, either. It's weird..only you guys continue to spout that nonsense.
Christianity DOESN'T say punishment will ensue if one doesn't "accept Christ"?

So Christianity is literally useless since it entirely hinges upon requiring Christ?

That is so cool.

When will the new rewritten Bible be coming out?

Do you stand at the pulpit and preach how it's nonsense that there is eternal punishment for not accepting Christ into your heart and so on, and only atheists claim that, so never mind all that silliness? That's all nonsense? Absolutely cool, yours may be the one church I'd be interested in attending in that case. No sure what the rest of the Christian world has to say about this new and game-changing revelation, but I'll be listening out for the reaction. Should be a good one.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Christianity DOESN'T say punishment will ensue if one doesn't "accept Christ"?

That is so cool.

When will the new rewritten Bible be coming out?
Technically, no. The phrase "accept Christ" is not found in Scripture. But faith in Christ is. WIthout faith in Christ, you're on your own when you stand before God and get judged.

But I've never seen the term "sky daddy" in the Bible, either. It's clearly an offensive term that is used with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.

Honestly? If you want to have a real conversation, it just makes you look rude and arrogant when you deliberately use terms and phrases you know we will find offensive.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Yes, a bigot is a person who endorses discrimination, or holds bigoted views.
The irony is that you just can't see the bigotry in your own statements. You're quick to call out others for perceived bigotry, but you can't see your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality