Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 02:09 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,895,781 times

Advertisements

I have gotten annoyed enough at the derogatory poll options and thread Why do most reject God in your opinion? over in the Christian forum, that I have decided to create a new thread to let us answer for ourselves why we do not worship the Christian God. In an effort to be inclusive of all possible reasons one might have, I chose not to attach a poll, and ask instead that you give your reasons in your post.

I don't mind anyone participating in discussion of people's responses in this thread, but I ask that Christians not post the reasons they think others don't worship your God. I don't want to get their speculations mixed up with people's actual answers as to why they themselves don't worship the Christian God.

At some point, I'll tally the responses as if it were a poll, so that we can see the diversity of answers and which ones were most common.

So, why do you not worship the Christian God?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 02:26 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,687,726 times
Because there is no evidence that it actually exists, and even if it were proven that the christian god did exist, I still would not worship it (though I would acknowledge that it existed) because it would frankly be much too vile of a creature to be worthy of my praise and worship.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:27 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,136,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
I have gotten annoyed enough at the derogatory poll options and thread Why do most reject God in your opinion? over in the Christian forum, that I have decided to create a new thread to let us answer for ourselves why we do not worship the Christian God. In an effort to be inclusive of all possible reasons one might have, I chose not to attach a poll, and ask instead that you give your reasons in your post.

I don't mind anyone participating in discussion of people's responses in this thread, but I ask that Christians not post the reasons they think others don't worship your God. I don't want to get their speculations mixed up with people's actual answers as to why they themselves don't worship the Christian God.

At some point, I'll tally the responses as if it were a poll, so that we can see the diversity of answers and which ones were most common.

Because God isn't just a Christian.

Who the hell are Christians to think they can put limitations on God?

Not to mention that believing an omnipotent, omniscient being NEEDS to be "worshipped" just makes no sense.

He seems awfully insecure for a Supreme Being.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:48 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,674,786 times
Who died and made the christian god king?
Oh yeah...

Old 12-15-2011, 02:50 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,568,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
Who died and made the christian god king?
Oh yeah...

oh hardee har har.

Keep working on it, you might make the borscht belt

Old 12-15-2011, 02:53 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,568,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
I am a Jew because the faith of Israel demands no
abdication of my mind.
I am a Jew because the faith of Israel asks every
possible sacrifice of my soul.
I am a Jew because in all places where there are tears
and suffering the Jew weeps.
I am a Jew because in every age when the cry of despair
is heard the Jew hopes.
I am a Jew because the message of Israel is the most
ancient and the most modern.
I am a Jew because Israel's promise is a universal
promise.
I am a Jew because for Israel the world is not finished;
men will complete it.
I am a Jew because for Israel man is not yet fully
created; men are creating him.
I am a Jew because Israel places man and his unity
above nations and above Israel itself.
I am a Jew because above man, image of the divine
unity, Israel places the unity which is divine.
-- Edmond Fleg, "Why I Am a Jew"

Old 12-15-2011, 03:07 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,514,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Because there is no evidence that it actually exists, and even if it were proven that the christian god did exist, I still would not worship it (though I would acknowledge that it existed) because it would frankly be much too vile of a creature to be worthy of my praise and worship.
Pretty much this, verbatim. I don't worship a Christian God because I don't believe in such a thing, but if it did exist, I still wouldn't worship it, because it would be an evil God.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:24 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,958,847 times
I do not worship or follow the Christian god for many reasons:

1) When I went to Catholic School it never made any sense, especially as I read the Bible and would question things the priests taught, then got hit for it.

2) When I tried the "born again" thing, I read the Bible and questioned what the Southern Baptist pastor taught and knew he wanted to hit me. (I don't want to get into the embezzelment scam or his affair with his secretary thing or other hypocrisies I saw though).

3) When I went to the Assembly of God and saw all the ridiculous tongues behavior, read the Bible and questioned the preacher about it and saw in his eyes him thinking about hitting me. (I don't want to get into the whole bit about a 1000 member congregation who never stepped up to help a member who was going through cancer or the preacher smearing the name of the music director so he could bring "his guy" back on though).

4) When I went to the last church I attended (a "bible" church) and saw the cliqueish behavior, said something about it and had several people wanting to him me, I knew I was done with it. (I don't want to mention my studying of the history of the Bible and all the issues I found with it though.)

5) Lastly, I am a Comanche and see WAY more value in the traditions and ways of my people than those of the Christians. I've been way happier since I returned to them.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:27 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,093,918 times
I see the worshing of Jesus(as) as idolatry. Although Christians seem to sincerly believe they are worshiping one God(swt) the trinitatian practice is polytheism as it is defining 3 distinct persons as being God(swt). Identical to the Hindu trinity of Vishnu, Siva and Brahma.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:28 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,446,486 times
Because I'm not arrogant enough to believe that the warm fuzzy feeling deep inside me that says I am correct in my conviction, is any different and more sincere than the other billions and billions of people who have lived and worshiped a different God.

I as an Atheist have the utmost respect for that "warm fuzzy feeling" in everybody...I just believe it comes from somewhere else, and not "from God" as some have said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality