Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 01:14 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,604,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Well, the universe is horribly big. So how do you know what is going on outside your own solar system even?
But nothing necessitates that there are billions of inhabitable planets with life on them. Just because there is the possibility of a large number doesn't necessarily mean the odds increase. Because nothing necessitates that something in the universe has to make those odds happen.
I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 01:32 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,399,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
I believe the Bible tells us everything we NEED to know. We are told that God created us. He never mentioned that He decided to sprinkle humanity throughout the cosmos.

It is in our nature though to want to know everything about everything. Kind of like a curious child that wants to put a metal object into an electrical outlet, just to see what happens.

Agape to you my friend.

Having said that I have the utmost respect for any kind of belief, but some dubts about the bible rising up the Emperator Constantine that allowed Christian worship, does not talk about it ( even Jesus C. to be honest ), according to some scientist the Bible was written about 1000 years ago and rewritten over the centuries by monks copyers often ignorant of Latin, as you know, rewriting page by page for about 1000 years, it is possible that there are errors in it, or it is also possible that the original meaning is completely changed

anyway the ancient motto..... all that l believe is true....is always perfect

Old 12-24-2011, 01:32 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,943 times
Quote:
Wouldn't this mean every species started evolving at the same time?
No, it doesn't mean that every species started at the same time.

Quote:
Why isn't there a dominant species roaming the galaxy?
How do you know there aren't any species roaming the universe.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:40 AM

1,518 posts, read 3,056,984 times
There are three likely reasons we haven't been contacted by extraterrestrial life. One is that, as current evidence seems to suggest, faster-than-light travel is impossible. That would make it very difficult to leave one's solar system no matter how advanced you are. The second is that intelligent life is very sparse. Being able to travel faster than light doesn't help much if only one in a trillion solar systems have life. The third is that they follow the prime directive.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:22 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times
Default Oh my... the truth seeps out.

Quote:
I believe the Bible tells us everything we NEED to know. We are told that God created us. He never mentioned that He decided to sprinkle humanity throughout the cosmos.

It is in our nature though to want to know everything about everything. Kind of like a curious child that wants to put a metal object into an electrical outlet, just to see what happens.

Agape to you my friend.
Ahhh. So... your true inalterable beliefs surface. Yup. Thought so.

The link you provided: I have to ask for an intellectually honest answer: did you, in fact, read all of it? Did you note the objections to the Fermi Problem, and it's many scientific and mathematical/statistical detractors? Did you then read any of the provided supporting documentation, or did you just grab at the initial summary explanation and then jump to your premature conclusion?

Because you've assumed, by your statement above (I highlighted it in blue...) that we were, in fact, created by a Godly Creator, which in and of itself is demonstrably illogical. And then, you jumped further, that he "never mentioned" that he'd created other life forms elsewhere. You thus tell us that you conclude the bible to be literate. How's about Noah's Ark?

The overall illogic of it all is astounding: for instance, I've heard so many times that any complexity MUST HAVE BEEN CREATED! OK then: who created your God? Or does your absolute argument unfold and self-destruct upon that logical rock? Because you conveniently ignore your own absolute logical requirement of a Creator's Creator's Creator's Creator's Creator's.... well you get the obvious requirement. Or do you?

However, back to your link:

The biggest assumption that is very likely fact is that we [arrogantly, I'll add...] assume other life forms are 1) "civilized" per se 2) would behave just as we do, doing the types and kinds of things we do [while in fact, their behavior may be entirely illogical, potentially undetectable and even essentially inconceivable to our minds], 3) that they are all motivated to get off their planet, and 4) have had pretty much the same Evolutionary "breaks" and chronology that we've had (i.e.: abundant fossil fuels to experiment with [which is the specific result of a global ecology changing situation that produced vast, world-wide burying and subsequent time to convert to useful hydrocarbons...], and no persistent cosmic accidents such as living in a particularly active meteoric belt that would produce many life-altering impacts, etc.).

The assumption of some innate huge curiosity and of a burning desire to get off one's home planet and pursue vast but technically impossible distances is not necessarily inherent in every conceivable life form(s) that could potentially evolve. Even if there are perhaps hundreds or thousands of higher life forms in our sector of the galaxy, you assume too much in their behavior. and you cannot ignore the fictitious but logical "Prime Directive" from Star Trek, but that most reasonable species would likely adopt if they found themselves able to easily visit all the other habitable planets: essentially, "Do not tinker with others' civilizations or lifeforms!"

You are also completely ignoring the huge number of possible UFO sightings that occur every year. I am a career scientist, and take everything claimed to be "miraculous and out of this world!" very skeptically absent some supporting evidence and investigation, and yet...

When I was about 12 or so, I and my best friend, laying on our backs watching the very clear skies up in north-western Canada (PS: hardly the breeding grounds for advanced super-techno aircraft back in the early '50s...), both simultaneously saw, and absolutely, a moving light exactly like you'd describe a lone satellite passing overhead these days. But back then, this was pre-Sputnik!! Think of that!

And to boot, it was travelling consistently across the sky more or less in a northerly direction, but then it made an exact and abrupt 90˚ degree change of direction to the west without slowing. It proceeded in that direction for a while, and then did the same thing again in order to return to it's original heading. My friend hastily called his mom out, and she also witnessed the second directional change. She just shrugged and went back in the house. That'd be three witnesses, btw.

There were no detectable aircraft engine sounds, either jet or prop (this was also the pre-jet era of advanced flight...), and certainly there were no research jets up in northern British Columbia back then. Also, there were no flashing anti-collision lights you always see on a normal aircraft. We were, obviously, astounded.

So... was it an "alien" craft? Who knows, but it surely wasn't a meteorite or aircraft as we had ever heard of.

As well, you know that our ability to "flit about", even in our own skies, is very recent: the Wright Brothers' flight was only in 1903, a mere and scant 107 years ago, and we've only now just sent an automated flier to Mars.

Finally, you must be happy in expressly choosing to actively ignore all the evidence that our universe is, indeed, very old. Even if the entire universe were only provably the age of our planet Earth, we still have insurmountable, irrefutable and unambiguous evidence, hard and true, that this planet is very old.

This is, of course, assuming you are even hesitatingly convinced (and convincible) by profuse logical evidence, and do not go off trying to refute it by every hair-brained dismissal and "oddball theory" that pops up but that also flies in the face of common sense. Simply to preserve your belief in the bible?

Hey: what if you're entirely wrong, as all the accumulated and advancing evidence now tells us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by miticoman View Post
Having said that I have the utmost respect for any kind of belief, but some doubts about the bible rising up. the Emperator Constantine that allowed Christian worship, does not talk about it ( even Jesus C. to be honest ), according to some scientist the Bible was written about 1000 years ago and rewritten over the centuries by monks copyers often ignorant of Latin, as you know, rewriting page by page for about 1000 years, it is possible that there are errors in it, or it is also possible that the original meaning is completely changed

anyway the ancient motto..... all that l believe is true....is always perfect
Bingo, miticoman! some have a very hard time altering their time honored and stubborn beliefs, that much is patently obvious. Yes, given all the obvious flaws, the re-writes we know of (as in: the King James version, and all the latest wonderful Modern Bible re-writes especially for the "illerati", plus the vast inconsistencies and contradictions), they are all happily and summarily ignored or selectively and conveniently swept under the carpet.

All this occurs while biblical believers happily accept any new anti-truth fabrication that pops up. See: Intelligent Design (), denials of all the latest artifact dating techniques (), even when they are proven () to be accurate, the claim of God simply altering time so as to make distant objects appear to be so ( ; and exactly why would He do this again?) and so on ad nauseum.

The apparent happy intellectual ownership of this reaction and attitude, coupled with the denial of all the factual evidence to the contrary, is an astounding peek into the uneducated and scientifically unsophisticated mind of early man, some of whom have obviously not intellectually advanced nor evolved as much has others. In fact, and I do now fully believe this hypothesis, given the constant drumbeat of easily-seen supporting proofs, is this:

There are distinct intellectually separate species of hominids on this planet. Not all have the same abilities nor interests in understanding and accepting obvious facts and truths via the necessary [scientifically derived] logical processes of observation, evaluation and conclusion. Instead, some obviously prefer to just go with the thinking of others, and thereby adopt a feel-good faith-based but obvious mythology, so easily proven to be thus.

But still, I'll give you an intellectual chance: what are your thoughts on Evolution and ancient geology? Are you also a YEC'r?

Last edited by rifleman; 12-24-2011 at 04:46 AM..

Old 12-24-2011, 04:28 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
I believe the Bible tells us everything we NEED to know.
How fortuitous for humanity that there are not too many people that believe the same. If everyone thought like you we'd still be trying to cure illness by shaking a chicken feather at people and burning old women alive just because they owned a black cat.

Madre mia!!!!

Old 12-24-2011, 04:47 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,960 times
Quote:
What do you think the plausible method of space travel would be if we were to inhabit another planet? Faster than light is pointless. We need a faster method. Bending space (Warp) is so far off that it is only a dream.
There is at least one other planet in our own solar system that has the resources extent to possibly support human life (with significant modifications). I think it is much more likely that we will try that route before we ever attempt to travel to another star system.

Quote:
We are a very young species in the galactic timeline. This is a "fact" taught by the old universe pushers. There should be many other mature beings roaming the cosmos. Yet they evade us.
Wouldn't you?

Quote:
If the universe is billions of years old and has many life sustaining planets then surely we would know by now.
Then again, perhaps there are many "lions, tigers, and bears" out there in the galaxy. Perhaps being quiet is simply prudent.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:49 AM

Wink Caught'cha!

Hey Rafius! I thought you were drinking tea!

(btw, it's v. cold and v. early here! [03:48a & -12˚ C]

Yikes! What I do to preserve an intellectual outlook, despite the hordes of illiterati!

Old 12-24-2011, 04:50 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,960 times
Quote:

Agape to you my friend.
I think that when we do find life out there, your religion is going to have a serious problem adapting to the fact.

Old 12-24-2011, 05:11 AM

Default Oh no: just you wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
I think that when we do find life out there, your religion is going to have a serious problem adapting to the fact.
Nah; you just watch, pro-geology man! There will be an outrageous and impossible story concocted to dismiss any and all new evidence. Stand by the Answers in Genesis website!

It never fails: no matter what hard and factual evidence is placed in front of these stubborn believers in the impossible, they'll find a way!

(Frankly, given the facts currently at hand, I'd be intensely embarrassed to be a part of such a grand conspiracy of stubborn ignorance!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality