Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2012, 12:44 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,607,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Indeed. I am glad you see the sheer comedy that doubting our visit to the moon leads us to. There are things, like those mirrors, that can not be explained without a visit so... by all means doubt it all you like.... but realize at the same time that doing so is pretty absurd.
Have you done the mirror exercise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
the frustrated fury of those who were hoping to trick us into 'fessing up to a quasi -religious faith .
Frustrated fury? Projection, my dear chap. I can't even begin to know how to exhibit fury by text.

You said it yourself that it is a valid question.

Unless you were one of the astronauts, you have to rely on faith at some point, even with evidence.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:14 PM

33,567 posts, read 37,175,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
Frustrated fury? Projection, my dear chap. I can't even begin to know how to exhibit fury by text.

Unless you were one of the astronauts, you have to rely on faith at some point, even with evidence.
Yes, but as has been explained to you, not the religious kind of faith...

"Faith" means not wanting to know what is true. Friedrich Nietzsche

“I believe in evidence. I believe in observation, measurement, and reasoning, confirmed by independent observers. I'll believe anything, no matter how wild and ridiculous, if there is evidence for it. The wilder and more ridiculous something is, however, the firmer and more solid the evidence will have to be. ”
― Isaac Asimov

Old 01-13-2012, 01:04 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,871,706 times
Quote:

I think it would be advantageous to you to learn the difference between 'faith' and 'trust'.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:42 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,767,902 times
Quote:

As they said, there is a very important difference and the failure of some theists to bamboozle us into the same sort of error does seem to occasion fury, even though not in your case, aold bean

Old 01-13-2012, 10:29 AM

28,962 posts, read 30,311,726 times
Quote:
Indeed. I am glad you see the sheer comedy that doubting our visit to the moon leads us to. There are things, like those mirrors, that can not be explained without a visit so... by all means doubt it all you like.... but realize at the same time that doing so is pretty absurd.
Yes sensi (bending forward from the waist with hands held in prayer)

Old 01-13-2012, 10:49 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,381,033 times
Quote:
Have you done the mirror exercise?
Irrelevant question, but yes I have. Have you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Yes sensi (bending forward from the waist with hands held in prayer)
Was there a point to that or are you just being sarcastic because there is nothing better to say?

Old 01-13-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
As they said, there is a very important difference
I don't see any difference.

The Life, death and resurrection of Christ (an extraordinary claim) is a historic event with evidence surrounding it, yet I wasn't there to witness it. So if I choose to believe the evidence, I must believe it based on faith.

The Lunar landings (an extraordinary claim) was a historic event with evidence surrounding it, yet I wasn't there to witness it. So if I choose to believe the evidence, I must believe it based on faith.

The only difference is, I believe both sets of evidence and you only believe one.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Irrelevant question, but yes I have.
It sure is relevant. Did you believe that the lunar landings took place before you did the laser and mirror trick, or after?

And, no I haven't. The fact is many people haven't. Yet they believe in the moon landings.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
I think it would be advantageous to you to learn the difference between 'faith' and 'trust'.
Like I said at the beginning of the thread. Faith and trust are not mutually exclusive. For example... I trust my faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality