Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 11:01 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Interestingly Alaska comes out as fairly irreligious according to studies. Also it seems at least possible some of its people are of indigenous-people religions rather than Christianity. New Hampshire has very low church-attendance and a comparatively high, though still low, percent of Unitarians. Oregon and Washington have low church-attendance plus, I think, they have a fair amount of non-Christian religions.

If we do counties rather than states Rockland County, New York is apparently 31.4% Jewish. Oahu in Hawaii is listed as low in "religious adherents." Hawaii in general might be a good example, if we mean least Christian rather than irreligious, as a good deal of its population is Buddhist or other "Eastern religion."

http://www.valpo.edu/geomet/pics/geo.../adherents.gif
Religious Identity: States Differ Widely
Rockland County, NY, is a suburban area that has several substantial ultra-Orthodox Jewish communities. Just FYI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 11:04 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Just because people identify with a religion, doesn't mean they're religious. I know tons of people who identify as Catholics, and they're very proud of it, but they're not religious. A lot of countries in Europe have a large percentage of the population identifying as Catholic (70% of Spaniards, for example) but only a small percentage of the population is actually practicing. I'm going to assume that Boston & New York fall into this category.

And that wasn't to pick on Catholics. It's just I've that noticed when Protestants stop believing, they also stop identifying as Protestant, or whatever denomination they belong to. For Catholics & Jews, identifying with a religion seems a lot more important.
I don't know, though. Although I'd say that as a percentage, NYC is not the most Christian place, it's a nice little piece of trivia that Manhattan has more churches than bars, and some of those churches are packed on Sunday mornings. On the other hand, you'll also see old churches in the city that have been deconsecrated and turned into other uses (restaurants, for example).

Old 01-20-2012, 12:48 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,508,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
Didn't anyone ever tell you "don't shoot the messenger"?

You don't have to be anti-religious to notice the obvious trend of religion having greater significance in less educated communities. It is what it is.
Ahhh yes. The gross over-generalization continues.

Thanks for the tip.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:19 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
The NW states are least religious. This site seems to conflict a bit with the graphic above otherwise.

The Association of Religion Data Archives | Maps & Reports | Select Report

Here are some metros... The first number apparently excludes black specific congregations, the second includes black per link above.

US 50% 63%

NYC 62 79
BOS 64 73
PIT 66 78

KC 48 59
STL 51 65
MSP 56 64
Chi 56 71

DFW 52 64
HOU 50 63
ATL 44 62

DEN 40 45
SEA 32 37
SF 39 46
LA 52 61

Curious that Kansas City is less religious than NYC, LA and Chicago.
Why? Due largely to their ethnic makeups, NYC, LA and Chgo have large, longstanding Catholic communities. KC not so much.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:23 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
I actually visited the Dutch Bible belt a in 2007 specifically to check out the Dutch Bible belt. I skipped Amstersdam, other than a quick train tride from the airport. Other than a conspicuous presence of Christian bookstores, some (or perhaps even many) women in long-ish skirts, and a few men (mostly farmers) in wooden clogs (really), it actually seemed much like the rest of Europe. People lived in regular homes, shopped at a regular grocery store, and lived quite ordinary lives.

And keep in mind, much of Europe "shuts down on Sunday."
Sometimes, cultural traditions die slower than religious ones...

Old 01-21-2012, 03:06 PM

6 posts, read 8,650 times
I was in New York and New Jersey and I saw churches everywhere and even many road signs was Christian churches. I met lots of people going to churches and they were crowded. Many people had cross on their cars and as necklace so it seemed pretty Christian

Old 01-21-2012, 07:44 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,768,504 times
Pacific Northwest

Old 01-21-2012, 07:50 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,699 times
The surrounding suburbs of Dallas, TX(Plano,Frisco,etc). Nothing but a bunch of heathens, marxist worshipping, Obama electing, pagans! Never in my life have I seen such disrespect for the precious baby Jesus! Good Lawd

Old 01-22-2012, 03:55 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
Didn't anyone ever tell you "don't shoot the messenger"?

You don't have to be anti-religious to notice the obvious trend of religion having greater significance in less educated communities. It is what it is.
Depends on what you mean by "religion" and "educated."

Places with a high percentage of scientists/science-degrees tend to have low levels of self-described Fundamentalism.

Mormons, Quakers, Eastern Orthodox, Orthodox Jews, and Hindus tend to come out fairly educated in the US. "White, not Hispanic" Catholics come out about average as I recall. Certain suburban counties have high rates of college-education and religiosity. Likewise I think the Pacific Northwest has some fairly poor, but still irreligious, communities.

So I might agree that in communities with little science-education Fundamentalist Religion is more common. Fundamentalism might be more common in less-educated communities in general as it provides structure and charity that might make life feel less insecure or confusing.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:13 AM

7 posts, read 11,054 times
We moved from Norway to New Jersey and mostly everything including malls are closed on Sundays here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality