Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 12:57 PM

125 posts, read 636,308 times

Advertisements

Hello All and thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer. I am looking for a book recommendation… can someone please advise a great book that explains the basics of different religions? I know “basics” is a relative term, but I’m hoping to find something that encompasses the main beliefs and/or theories, in summary, for multiple religions – especially Christianity & Catholicism, Buddhism, Judaism…

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 01:38 PM

11,269 posts, read 11,035,002 times
I can think of a fundamentalist Christian website that discusses the tenets and the associated perceived ill's of many of the other world religions, and how the beliefs of those religions compare and contrast to fundamentalist Christianity, but I'm presuming you would prefer an unbiased source. I find some parts of it to be pretty interesting.

www.carm.org

Old 12-30-2013, 01:57 PM

7,998 posts, read 12,279,193 times
You might want to look at Karen Armstrong. I believe she wrote a book back in the early 90's that addresses the religions that you specifically mentioned. I think (???) the title may be "The History of God" in which she highlights and discusses the various religious traditions.

Good luck! Hope you find the right book you're looking for!

Old 12-30-2013, 02:00 PM

7,998 posts, read 12,279,193 times
Default P.s.

Found a link:

A History of God - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-30-2013, 02:23 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
I have not gone into it a great deal, but I was impressed with coverage of some by religioustolerance.org. Worth a look.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:42 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,866,983 times
Jewish Literacy: The Most Important Things to Know About the Jewish Religion, Its People and Its History
by Joseph Telushkin

Old 12-30-2013, 03:45 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,449,889 times
I love A History of God, but it is very dense reading.

If you're looking for something basic, possibly geared toward young people, try these:

World Religions: The Great Faiths Explored & Explained: John Bowker: 9780756617721: Amazon.com: Books

Inside World Religions: An Illustrated Guide: Kevin O'Donnell: 9780800638894: Amazon.com: Books

Old 12-30-2013, 06:31 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
CARM - Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry

Lots of info there. First hand sources cited, and its well documented.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:19 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,442,434 times
Huston Smith "The World's Religions" is an excellent primer. Huston Smith is a religious studies scholar and that book is used in many college level comparative studies courses (non biased toward any one religion).

Old 12-30-2013, 11:54 PM

243 posts, read 452,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
CARM - Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry

Lots of info there. First hand sources cited, and its well documented.
That site is incredibly biased. Not the best to view if you're looking for an objective opinion without the assumption that Christianity/The Bible is true and historically accurate. Many religions aren't even mentioned. Where's Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Daoism, or Shinto?

BTW, not all articles are cited. Lots of it is just ramblings, mostly authored by the President and Founder of the Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry. Some citations are from blatantly biased sources. I'd actually like to know why the bibliography for Islam contains texts such as Baker Encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics, How To Respond to Muslims, A Christian's Response to Islam, and The Islamic Invasion.

The first page linked in the "Islam" section is a letter to Muslims, stating that "... I teach that Christianity is true. Therefore, Islam, cannot be right. I say this outright so that no Muslim will accuse me of being deceptive or having a hidden agenda. My goal is to convert Muslims to Christ so they may find salvation in him." (emphasis added). Yep, no agenda at all.

The atheist section is mostly about why atheism is wrong and why Christianity is right, complete with instructions on how to argue with a non believer.

I briefly viewed other sections; they are just as bad.

BUT, I didn't expect anything less from you, Vizio
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaGal View Post
I am looking for a book recommendation… can someone please advise a great book that explains the basics of different religions?
I second roscomac's recommendation of World Religions: The Great Faiths Explored & Explained. If you're a visual person (I am!) check out the book preview. It's full of wonderful images.

Then there's this: National Geographic Concise History of World Religions: An Illustrated Time Line

You didn't ask for websites, but here are some that you may like:

Open Yale Courses. You can watch lecture videos of Yale professors. I've watched some of the New Testament class...very interesting.

Introduction to the New Testament History and Literature with Professor Dale B. Martin
Introduction to the Old Testament (Hebrew Bible) with Professor Christine Hayes

A World Religion class page from Penn State. Good lecture notes and maps.

religionfacts.com. Lots of articles explaining different faiths. Includes a symbol gallery, comparative charts, topics (homosexuality, The Da Vinci Code, politics, etc.), quotes, links, book recommendations, and glossaries.

British Libraries Learning Sacred Texts page.

Last edited by Ohio Hello; 12-31-2013 at 12:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality