Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2007, 12:02 PM

895 posts, read 4,251,403 times

Advertisements

I'm "culturally" jewish. My husband was raised catholic but is non-practicing. We have four children under the age of six. We both believe in God (I think)but my husband doesn't agree with organized religion. [I think he'd be fine if we attended church weekly but I don't feel comfortable with that. And I don't really want to attend temple regularly and I know he won't set foot inside. All but our last child have had jewish naming ceremonies because I wanted them to have some form of religious identity] We've placed our children in a non-denominational Christian school which has a fabulous IB curriculum. They attend weekly chapel where they are told new and old Testament stories. They pray daily, first thing, lunch and end of day. They have a daily religion class in their classroom.

Has anyone else had an experience where they want to teach their kids about both religions but let them decide for themselves? Has it been sucessful? Unsucessful? Any advice? My daughter is already coming home with questions that I can't answer. Anyone have any answers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 12:15 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,200,619 times
One way is to use the Holidays, both Jewish and Christian, as a means to explain the whys and wherefores of that particular time or day. For example, I think yesterday was the Jewish New Year. This would have been a good time to explain how Jews handle clearing out the old things from the past and looking forward to a better life in the coming years. It's a good deal different than the regular Jan. 1 New Year.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:24 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,243,461 times
I'm raised in a family of Christians, except that one half is Protestant and the other half is Catholic. If religion had no impact in the outside world I'd say that it doesn't matter, as long as your children know that you love them and that you believe in God.
Unfortunately this is not the case. The outside world will probably question how a Jew and a Catholic could even be married. And your children will one time or another be confronted with this question themselves.

If I speak for myself, when I was a child I didn't care about being Protestant or Catholic. My parents loved me and the didn't bother with church doctrine.
But then came a time that the outside world doesn't see you as an 'innocent' child anymore. They require that you make a choice, even when you (as a child) don't want to.
I just lost my faith in churches, I could not reconcile the church (as an institution) with a loving God. I've just realized that any group is intolerant, because that is what all groups essentially are. There has to be a difference or else there is no point in forming groups.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:02 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,354,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
I'm "culturally" jewish. My husband was raised catholic but is non-practicing. We have four children under the age of six. We both believe in God (I think)but my husband doesn't agree with organized religion. [I think he'd be fine if we attended church weekly but I don't feel comfortable with that. And I don't really want to attend temple regularly and I know he won't set foot inside. All but our last child have had jewish naming ceremonies because I wanted them to have some form of religious identity] We've placed our children in a non-denominational Christian school which has a fabulous IB curriculum. They attend weekly chapel where they are told new and old Testament stories. They pray daily, first thing, lunch and end of day. They have a daily religion class in their classroom.

Has anyone else had an experience where they want to teach their kids about both religions but let them decide for themselves? Has it been sucessful? Unsucessful? Any advice? My daughter is already coming home with questions that I can't answer. Anyone have any answers?
You both believe in God and dislike organized religion. That's a start.
Let your kids know how you feel about your religions and teach them what you think is important for them to know.
Please don't push it down there throats and force them to attend church or you'll end up with kids that as they get older will resent you and probably resent the religion they were forced to hear about.
Too young now but as they get older, let them talk to people of other religions and do research.
Whatever feels right will stay with them and they can discard whatever does not feel right.
I take it that you and your husband are not too crazy about the religions you grew up with, probably because it was forced upon you. Don't do that to your kids, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality