Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 09:19 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times

Advertisements

Belief in something for which you have no evidence is called..........Faith!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Here; let me re-state your comment, Mr5150:

"Please share the proof you have for an existing God and how His universe came to be... all on it's own. Just happened. You know; As in Poof?"

Then, the matter is settled and we can all go to bed happy!"

Gittit?

So! Now go to bed, but remember to "...pray the Lord your soul to take, if you should die before you wake!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogieman View Post
Why is it such a ridiculous thought that the universe possibly arose from nothing? The belief that a god came from nothing and then created the universe(with magic I guess) doesn't seem so hard to believe, yet logically its even harder to believe, because it involves believing something more complex came from nothing, rather than something more simple or something more simple always existing. If you believe a god created the universe and its so hard to believe that something more simple existed without a god, why don't you give a creator to that god, which would be an even more complex being, in god logic , that creator would be needed to create the god that created the universe, because how can something like a god arise from nothing. With god logic in order for something less complex to exist there must exist something more complex to create it which leads to an endless chain of gods creating gods.

that's ridiculous right? nope, same logic applied further.
Why is it that whenever the atheist is asked to back up his or her assertion that the universe just came to be (nevermind what science says--Big Bang, anyone?) the typical response is to not answer the question. Please folks, must you guys *always* have to resort to turning the question around?

Theist: got proof that the universe just poped into existence?

Atheist: (I got nothin' so I'll say this) well what about proof of your god?

Theist: Facepalm: Then walks away smiling knowing that the atheist has nothin'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 11:01 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Why is it that whenever the atheist is asked to back up his or her assertion that the universe just came to be (nevermind what science says--Big Bang, anyone?) the typical response is to not answer the question. Please folks, must you guys *always* have to resort to turning the question around?
You didn't by any chance happen to watch the video I posted, did you?

Old 04-19-2012, 11:11 AM

467 posts, read 1,189,253 times
We don't. My recent trip to the American Museum of Natural History in NYC totally debunked that idea.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:41 AM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
To me, the atheist "not god" answer to the universe beginning is like a default program. To the believer, it seems that god is the default answer. No proof, and it's not on the atheist to prove a not-god answer- proving a negative.
I personally don't overly care how/if the universe had a beginning. I'm a lot more concerned with the mischief and brutalities and blames and shames that seem to arise with a sense of a personal god.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
You didn't by any chance happen to watch the video I posted, did you?
YouTube is blocked at work

Old 04-19-2012, 12:56 PM

180 posts, read 217,258 times
Quote:

I am arguing from a logical standpoint, no I don't have proof , and neither do you for your assertion that there must be a god that made all of this.

god "logic" isn't logical. Natural explanations constantly replace supernatural explanations, why should this question(origin) be any different? I'm not asking for any proof because of course there isn't any, I want a good reason why I should even consider that maybe a god created the universe, and how it makes more sense that something more complex came from nothing and then somehow created the universe?

The scientific evidence points to the universe arising from nothing without the need of something supernatural.

Last edited by boogieman; 04-19-2012 at 01:24 PM..

Old 04-19-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:

That didn't take long. You turned it back to whether there is a god instead of supporting your assertion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogieman View Post
I am arguing from a logical standpoint, no I don't have proof , and neither do you for your assertion that there must be a god that made all of this.

god "logic" isn't logical. Natural explanations constantly replace supernatural explanations, why should this question(origin) be any different? I'm not asking for any proof because of course there isn't any, I want a good reason why I should even consider that maybe a god created the universe, and how it makes more sense that something more complex came from nothing and then somehow created the universe?

The scientific evidence points to the universe arising from nothing without the need of something supernatural.
So which is it? You have no proof, but the evidence points to the universe arisiing from nothing. Am I the only person who sees a problem with this thinking.

So what evidence is there? And just so you know, I agree with science when it comes to the Big Bang and evolution.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:48 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
YouTube is blocked at work
Have you watched the video?

Old 04-19-2012, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 871 times
A topic for eternal debate, no point to look to others for your answer, you are alone in your universe the truth is ultimately your creation and is true to you, expectations of others to verify are empty.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:15 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Interesting that we look at a great painting and ask: Wow! who painted that?

We look at a great sculpture and ask: Wow! Who made that?

We look at a new invention and ask: "Wow! Who put that together?"

But when it comes to the incredible complexity of the universe, of everything in the universe some think it just accidentally occurred without any designer. Gheesh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality