Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 10:26 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yeah, except that a great many of the "facts" are "fiction." If you, as a Catholic, have ever taken a look at one of the many anti-Catholic links out there, I'm sure you will agree that people who detest Catholics aren't exactly very good at presenting an objective picture of your religion, its history and its doctrines.

My link is a good source of information about what Mormons really believe and about LDS culture and practices. I know it really bothers you that I have a more in-depth understanding of Mormonism than you do, but that much really is a fact. I am not the sheltered soul you apparently perceive me as. I know Mormon history and doctrine backwards and forwards, and I don't whitewash it.
No one said this. However, isn't it true that those whose marriages are sealed in the Temple and have offspring are more abundantly blessed in the afterlife, according to the Mormon faith, than those who will pass on marriage and don't want offspring?

That people don't care for or understand confession, veneration of the Virgin Mary, the saints and all that doesn't bother me. I just ignore it or explain it. It's usually a non-Episcopal or non-Lutheran Protestant.

The other thing is that I am one of the few Catholics on this sub-forum who does acknowledge that there are problems in our church, quite a few of them, and do not whitewash that; therefore, I do not proselytize because I want people to find a religion that fits them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 11:02 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I do not proselytize because I want people to find a religion that fits them.
And I feel exactly the same way. I have gone so far as to actually suggest religions other than mine that seem to meet the needs of people who are searching for some kind of a religion. I haven't been proselytizing on this thread either. As a matter of fact, I specifically stated in two of my posts, that I think that choosing a religion should not be based on how that religion is going to help you get a job, get off drugs, etc. On the other hand, when people intentionally denigrade my religion, you can be sure I will be there to present the other side of the argument. And that's all I have done here.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:26 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,085,921 times
Quote:
And I feel exactly the same way. I have gone so far as to actually suggest religions other than mine that seem to meet the needs of people who are searching for some kind of a religion. I haven't been proselytizing on this thread either. As a matter of fact, I specifically stated in two of my posts, that I think that choosing a religion should not be based on how that religion is going to help you get a job, get off drugs, etc. On the other hand, when people intentionally denigrade my religion, you can be sure I will be there to present the other side of the argument. And that's all I have done here.
And I for one respect and appreciate your commentary. I too am not trying to proselytize but am saying that this organization could help someone in her situation.

I agree that it is best to go first and discover one's beliefs then find a religion that most closely matches such beliefs. In this case though, we have a person who does not even know what she believes and needs to be helped along the way. Better a group like the LDS Church to help, as anything she has been involved in so far (Presbyterian church) has not done anything for her.
I'd hate to see someone along the lines of the late David Koresh show up. LDS is at least helpful.

Yes, they do offer assistance to non-Mormons as well. Years ago after a major hurricane I recieved a call from a friend who was a Mormon asking me to drive a supply truck to Fort Myers so that supplies could be distributed to the general public. The supplies were donated from a central Mormon store in central Florida, and would indlude food, clothing and fresh water.

Additionally, the Mormon suggestion of storing a coupld years of food (canned goods, rice, dry beans etc) is not a bad idea. SHould someone become ill, unable to work, unemployeed, injured or in need of supplies due to a hurricane, it is not a bad idea to have some extra supplies on hand. One can always use them to help others.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
On the other hand, when people intentionally denigrade my religion, you can be sure I will be there to present the other side of the argument.
Ok, fair, but can you address paragraph 1 of my post #21? People ought to know your church's stance on that topic.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:17 PM

79 posts, read 99,121 times
Eh, I don't know how much help Mormonism would be for her. As a missionary, we were wary of people who seemed to be interested just for temporal help.

Even if you are a member, getting help isn't always easy. A friend of mine was told "You need to work more hours at your job" when he asked for financial help from his bishop. My wife and I were told to seek help from our family before coming to the church for aid.

It's frustrating when people out breed their income, too. Not just a problem found in Mormonism.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Ok, fair, but can you address paragraph 1 of my post #21? People ought to know your church's stance on that topic.
Your statement was essentially correct. It doesn't seem all that significant in terms of this particular discussion, though.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Your statement was essentially correct. It doesn't seem all that significant in terms of this particular discussion, though.
But in a way it is. This woman, per the OP, comes with a checkered past and, as a transferee, presents everything but what is traditional for Mormons who have towed the line and done everything on time. Eventually, she will feel somewhat judged. And, if she can't make some commitments to anything that requires work as to her personal life, how will she be able to commit to what your faith asks of its adherents? We need to be honest with regard to the fact that your religion asks more of its adherents than do most of the religions found in the U.S. Also, with the growing American trend of the postponement of marriage, renunciation of child rearing, and increasing non-traditional households (single parent adoptions et al), the enormous chunk of singles in America would not take kindly to the LDS's "stratifying" tenet such as the one surrounding marriage and child-rearing. So, that lady may initially benefit from what your church has to offer but, at the end of the day, I don't think she can "close the deal."

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 04-22-2012 at 05:04 PM..

Old 04-22-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireoftheCovenant View Post
It's frustrating when people out breed their income, too. Not just a problem found in Mormonism.
Amen. Thank you. The words in BOLD are a hoot!

Like I've always said: those who should NOT be having kids are, and those that SHOULD be having kids are not.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
But in a way it is. This woman, per the OP, comes with a checkered past and, as a transferee, presents everything but what is traditional for Mormons who have towed the line and done everything on time. Eventually, she will feel somewhat judged. And, if she can't make some commitments to anything that requires work as to her personal life, how will she be able to commit to what your faith asks of its adherents? We need to be honest with regard to the fact that your religion asks more of its adherents than do most of the religions found in the U.S. Also, with the growing American trend of the postponement of marriage, renunciation of child rearing, and increasing non-traditional households (single parent adoptions et al), the enormous chunk of singles in America would not take kindly to the LDS's "stratifying" tenet such as the one surrounding marriage and child-rearing. So, that lady may initially benefit from what your church has to offer but, at the end of the day, I don't think she can "close the deal."
I'd say that's her decision. There are a great many people in much the same situation as she is who are very happy in the Church. Whether she would be or not is not for either you or me to say.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:36 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I am suggesting to my sister (who lives some 2000 miles away) that she and her children join the Mormons

The LDS has a great system in place of taking care of their members. She has 3 children she cannot care for, who are in need of direction and guidance (which she is incapable of giving)
She has no education or work skills, has three failed marriages behond her, basically an all around unsuccessful person (I can't say Loser on the forum but you get the idea)
She needs someone to step in and help out, and I think the Mormons could more than provide that. They can help her find work, a place to live, and her children will be placed into a church setting that will give them some guidance and direction that they do not get with any church involvement that they have now.

Some complain and whine that the Mormons are a "cult" or that their theology is Moderator cut: deleted etc
No more so than anything else from what I can see.
As a non-theist, it would not work for me, but then again I am not the one who is unemployable , broke and with three kids that I cannot ( or perhaps do not want) to care for.
and as long as they maintain a 2000 mile or so buffer between myself and them, what am I to care?

Jsut an idea.
The Mormons do give a lot, but they also expect a lot in return. It wouldn't hurt for her to check into it, but be she's got to want to be one of them (and give back too) if this "plan" is going to work.

Otherwise, it's much easier to try a stint as "welfare queen" on Uncle Sam's dime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality