Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 07:55 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,299,986 times

Advertisements

To defend actions and things like this, (no matter what group is being satired) seems to be saying that being unkind and intentionally and knowingly offensive is okay. And yeah, it's legal as has been pointed out. But does legal mean something is ethically correct?

And yes, it might be said that homosexuals are just "retaliating" against conservative Christians because of their stand on homosexuality. But Christians do NOT satire and ridicule homosexuals. If any do, they should be ashamed. (Forget about Westboro Baptist Church! You know what most Christians think about all that. It's reprehensible.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 08:00 AM

30,438 posts, read 52,072,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
To defend actions and things like this, (no matter what group is being satired) seems to be saying that being unkind and intentionally and knowingly offensive is okay. And yeah, it's legal as has been pointed out. But does legal mean something is ethically correct?

And yes, it might be said that homosexuals are just "retaliating" against conservative Christians because of their stand on homosexuality. But Christians do NOT satire and ridicule homosexuals. If any do, they should be ashamed. (Forget about Westboro Baptist Church! You know what most Christians think about all that. It's reprehensible.)
They may not use satire, but many Christian's tactics are even more hurtful... read the post before my last one, and think how that must feel to a gay person. At least they aren't making judgments about your personal lives, suggesting you'll be put to death, or implying where you'll go in the afterlife.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:03 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,299,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
They may not use satire, but many Christian's tactics are even more hurtful... read the post before my last one, and think how that must feel to a gay person. At least they aren't making judgments about your personal lives, suggesting you'll be put to death, or implying where you'll go in the afterlife.
Yes, but at least right or wrong, they are doing it because of concern and conviction not hatefulness and deliberate intention to inflame. (or it least they should be, if not, again needs to be an attitude check!)

Old 09-26-2007, 08:17 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,762,357 times
Strangely, I'm much less offended by this than I am by K.G.'s comment at the emmys. I guess because it's done out of frustration, and really for an audience of their own. I don't find it funny, though.

Gizmo, I understand what you're saying about Jews and others having lived their lives being the butt of jokes. But that doesn't make all other behaviours acceptable. You know, the two wrongs don't make a right thing.

Let's be completely honest now, if something was said on tv to deeply offend you and your faith, or heritage I would bet everything I own that your Christian friends here would be sympathetic and caring. We would be outraged along with you. No one would feel it's their place to tell you how you should feel about it. I would guess Christians who tell other Christians to lighten up, would be telling you how sorry they are that you were offended. That's because we can't possibly feel your experience. We can't possibly know what you hold most sacred.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Yes, but at least right or wrong, they are doing it because of concern and conviction not hatefulness and deliberate intention to inflame. (or it least they should be, if not, again needs to be an attitude check!)
Hopefully you're right, but often enough it seems to be hate disguised by "conviction & concern." Trust me, I see it through the eyes of my brother, and all my friends who hurt when those words are spoken - just as you hurt when somebody mocks your inner-being.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:20 AM

Btw, I feel the need to say this, in case anyone's misunderstanding me... I'm not defending the picture, just the right for it to exist. And still questioning the truthfulness of that story, considering the source and all.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:26 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,083,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirancs8 View Post
This is unacceptable. I don't understand how anyone of any religion would tolerate such disrespect of a faith. And I agree if they did something like this of anyone else the ACLU would be all over it. Why should us Christian's stand for this! We must stand firm on what our Lord Jesus Christ says in the Bible.

The fact is in the book!

"And with a man you shall not lie with as a man lies with a woman; it is an abomination." Leviticus 18:22

"If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads. Leviticus 20:13

And finally the most important:

"Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor practicing homosexuals nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God" 1 Corinthians 6:9-10

Homosexuality is the Devil working through those who sin in such acts. Fact is sextual relationship is between a man and a women, husband and wife.
Do you follow everything in the "Holiness Code"? Many things are punishable by death which even a good Southern Baptist wouldn't agree to..

Wasn't the "Holiness Code" intended for priests only so they could be above "priests" of other cultures in the area.

Corinthians 6:9-10 all centers around Malokois and Arsenokoitai.. not firm evidence. If Paul wanted to specifically mean "homosexuals" he could have used the term "paiderasste" which was the standard Greek term at the time for sexual behavior between two males.

I still just don't see where being gay is a sin. Just my opinion though..

Old 09-26-2007, 08:48 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,083,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
Homosexuals Mock 'Last Supper' With Sex-Toys Twist (broken link)

Organizers of San Francisco's Folsom Street Fair -- sponsored by Miller Brewing Co. -- have portrayed Christ and his disciples as half-naked homosexual sadomasochists in the event's promotional advertisement, and the conservative group Concerned Women for America is complaining about the hypocrisy of it.

I would love to add my comments but I am sure I would get banned.

Its their right.. It is stupid but we have lots of stupid rights in this country (guns).. but that gets off topic. If this is the most offending thing most Christians can find then go to a homeless shelter.. You'll quickly be offended by society and forget all about this stupid picture.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:48 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,557,868 times
Christians should spend more time seeking ways to share the love of God than in search of "filth" about their hatred for gay/lesbian people in our society. Seems like the word Homosexual draws more christians to the feed trough than the most important word in all the world religions "love"..It absolutely amazes me that some christians never get out of the private bedrooms of the homosexual people..sometimes I wonder who is depraved

Old 09-26-2007, 08:52 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,258,547 times
Nothing unites better than a common enemy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality